JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ran across this on the Garand Thumb blog and laughed. I thought you'd enjoy it too.
Excuse Library

Excuses for messing up in a CMP Service Rifle match (works for Highpower too):
  1. Bad ammo.
  2. Someone must have cross fired.
  3. Wallet in wrong pocket for sitting position.
  4. Line officer telling distracting stories during slow fire.
  5. Brass in butt crack.
  6. Too much sun.
  7. Too dark.
  8. Neighbors playing loud music.
  9. Firing position wrong number.
  10. Wrong boots.
  11. Had to poo.
  12. No bolt pressure compensator.
  13. Tornado watch.
  14. Keys in pocket during prone.
  15. Junky Nightforce.
  16. Gun too clean.
  17. Shooting coat too big.
  18. Wrong twist direction for northern hemisphere.

Mine, from service rifle match:

1. Inexperienced shooter
2. 95 degrees and sweating like crazy
3. Bullet weight too light for 600 yards
4. Rear sight won't hold dialed elevation or windage correction

I guess not that funny, but all 4 did happen to me in a single match.

On the rear sight, turns out it had previously been disassembled and reassembled improperly (not by me), so it needed a proper reassembly by a smith.

I ran across this on the Garand Thumb blog and laughed. I thought you'd enjoy it too.
Excuse Library

Excuses for messing up in a CMP Service Rifle match (works for Highpower too):
  1. Bad ammo.
  2. Someone must have cross fired.
  3. Wallet in wrong pocket for sitting position.
  4. Line officer telling distracting stories during slow fire.
  5. Brass in butt crack.
  6. Too much sun.
  7. Too dark.
  8. Neighbors playing loud music.
  9. Firing position wrong number.
  10. Wrong boots.
  11. Had to poo.
  12. No bolt pressure compensator.
  13. Tornado watch.
  14. Keys in pocket during prone.
  15. Junky Nightforce.
  16. Gun too clean.
  17. Shooting coat too big.
  18. Wrong twist direction for northern hemisphere.

OK, excuse #2 is legit. How else do you get 6 more hits than the amount of rounds fired? o_O

I remember one time qual-ing on the 1911 in Germany and scoring 56 out of a possible 50..... :s0112:

I'm going to use #18 at the next rimfire challenge
I think it's legit... Like when you flush a toilet down under, the water swirls the other way... It's a fung shway thing, all about balance. 808E2BD6-5F4D-4174-8667-35C820960303-829-000002B9CA33C754_tmp.gif

Last Edited:
No. 18 is great. Some of my Ah $hit
1. At 600 yards spotting scope lined up on target 8 but you are shooting
target 18.:eek:
2. Rapid fire with 2 and 2:oops:. Instead of 2 and 8.
3. I love it when you are supposed to give it right windage and you give it left. You
figure it out a couple shots latter.
4. Crossfire Crossfire Crossfire. I have done it so many times. :s0054:

TOO HOT!!! It reached 100 at Douglas Ridge for both days at the Oregon Open Highpower Championship this weekend. Missed the master score cutoff by 14 points. I shot a 1490 out of 1600....damn heat....

TOO HOT!!! It reached 100 at Douglas Ridge for both days at the Oregon Open Highpower Championship this weekend. Missed the master score cutoff by 14 points. I shot a 1490 out of 1600....damn heat....

I had planned to go for both days. But when I saw it was going to hit triple digits I wimped out and spent the day hugging the A/C. My hardy pioneer forebears would be ashamed.

I had planned to go for both days. But when I saw it was going to hit triple digits I wimped out and spent the day hugging the A/C. My hardy pioneer forebears would be ashamed.

I did Service Rifle last year at 95 degrees - it really was miserable. By the end of the day I was questioning my decision to attend. Yeah, I'm a wimp when it comes to heat, but I grew up without it in homes or cars until my mid-20's - I'm not going to forsake it now!

I was there at Douglas Ridge both Saturday and Sunday. It was really difficult to shot offhand late in the afternoon. My arms felt like limp noodles. The match director provided lots of water and encouraged everybody to drink up. That helped, but it was still a couple of long, hot days. Surprisingly my last 300 yard rapid prone score was a 95 and 1 X.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top