JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
VVA.ORG looks like the best and closest option. I've been planning on joining Practical Shooters at the IWL range in Eugene, so that would take care of the membership and marksmanship programs I think. A copy of passport and some other papers would not be too hard to scare up.

My CHL satisfied the gun handling portion.
DD214 should do the same.

For I think $25? I joined the GCA and get the monthly magazine. No meetings, or shooting, or anything else.
Just reading. That satisfied the club membership.

Here is the link to the requirements.
Eligibility Requirements - Civilian Marksmanship Program

My CHL satisfied the gun handling portion.
DD214 should do the same.

For I think $25? I joined the GCA and get the monthly magazine. No meetings, or shooting, or anything else.
Just reading. That satisfied the club membership.

Here is the link to the requirements.
Eligibility Requirements - Civilian Marksmanship Program
Very enlightening. So what I actually need to produce are my birth certificate, my CHL, and a GCA membership card. Aside from that it's just being eligible to own a firearm.

VVA.ORG looks like the best and closest option. I've been planning on joining Practical Shooters at the IWL range in Eugene, so that would take care of the membership and marksmanship programs I think. A copy of passport and some other papers would not be too hard to scare up.

I was happy to see that CHL will bypass the proof of marksman program.

Like some of you I was warm to the idea of possibly getting one of these 1911s. However after receiving the email posted in this thread I found my warmth turning to chill. Not so keen on the idea tonight. Too many hoops through which to jump and [as much as I hate to admit it] I am not as nimble now as when I was in my 30's
Too much hassle. I have purchased over a dozen rifles from the CMP. M1s and O3s and O3A3s.
M1s I purchased ranged in price from $165 and several at $250 and others for $400.
You guys sit on the sidelines all the more for me.:):D:rolleyes:;)
P1000055.JPG

I just saw this on Twitter.. Very exciting.

I mailed my order in to CMP last week. Do they usually send an acknowledgment (either by mail or email)? It is my first time ordering from CMP. I'd hate for my order to get tossed out on a technicality... pretty sure I filled everything out correctly, but, stranger things have happened..

I've wanted an M1 Garand since I was 12 year old.

Respectfully ...

If the price is right these might go like hotcakes. The problem still exists that the cost will be too great for the product received? Also I am wondering how much detail stripping, cleaning, tuning, polishing and repairing will be necessary. Also for that matter, all the necessary gauges fixtures and widgets necessary to properly inspect theses old guns for safety?

My experience is that anything that old stored that way and shipped in that fashion and sold by that means would be suspect to just go out and shoot. We have found this to be true with current available USGI M1 Carbines. The little rifles are usually for sale for a very good reason. Some major flaw. Or sometimes many minor concerns. My read only here.

Respectfully.

Respectfully ...

If the price is right these might go like hotcakes. The problem still exists that the cost will be too great for the product received? Also I am wondering how much detail stripping, cleaning, tuning, polishing and repairing will be necessary. Also for that matter, all the necessary gauges fixtures and widgets necessary to properly inspect theses old guns for safety?

My experience is that anything that old stored that way and shipped in that fashion and sold by that means would be suspect to just go out and shoot. We have found this to be true with current available USGI M1 Carbines. The little rifles are usually for sale for a very good reason. Some major flaw. Or sometimes many minor concerns. My read only here.

Respectfully.

Your experience? Have you ever bought from the CMP?

The CMP dose all the inspection and correction to these guns that they need.
And they will work. Or they will make them work for free.

As to the ''Current available USGI carbines''?
What carbines? They have not had them in years. And when they last did I bought a bunch.

They all worked fine. o_O

Last Edited:
My experience is that anything that old stored that way and shipped in that fashion and sold by that means would be suspect to just go out and shoot. We have found this to be true with current available USGI M1 Carbines. The little rifles are usually for sale for a very good reason.

I thought I read somewhere the CMP goes through them and shoots them before offering for sale. I could be wrong though..

I've definitely owned a couple of surplus rifles that were questionable, so I understand what you mean.

Your experience? Have you ever bought from the CMP?

The CMP dose all the inspection and correction to these guns that they need.
And they will work. Or they will make them work for free.

As to the ''Current available USGI carbines''?
What carbines? They have not had them in years. And when they last did I bought a bunch.

They all worked fine. o_O
So when are you going to sale some LOL

People get mad and say I bought them all.

But now you guys get your chance. ;)

And I'm sorry if you can't get them for $419 like I could. :D
When I was younger my friends grandpa had one he took us out shooting once I liked that gun I was only like 13 or 14 years old I didn't have the money to buy it when he decided to sell off his guns back then so sad :(

Respectfully ...

Perhaps President Trump will tell the Attorney General to allow the return of the USGI M1 Carbines. Either through the CMP or by private importer. The last CMP Garand I got did require some tuning. Specifically the trigger housing group kept coming out of the gun when shooting.

Also some problems with a loose sight. The CMP does its best. I have found the need to go through their guns after delivery. Your mileage may vary. Trust but verify. The end owner has the responsibility to make sure your guns are safe to shoot. Nobody else can do this for you.

Far as I know or understand, the CMP does not have the time or resources to test fire and print each rifle. No test target. They also PROBABLY do not do a detail strip for condition and collect ability. They DO gage the important stuff and inspect for overall condition and value.

Respectfully.

Respectfully ...

Perhaps President Trump will tell the Attorney General to allow the return of the USGI M1 Carbines. Either through the CMP or by private importer. The last CMP Garand I got did require some tuning. Specifically the trigger housing group kept coming out of the gun when shooting.

Also some problems with a loose sight. The CMP does its best. I have found the need to go through their guns after delivery. Your mileage may vary. Trust but verify. The end owner has the responsibility to make sure your guns are safe to shoot. Nobody else can do this for you.

Far as I know or understand, the CMP does not have the time or resources to test fire and print each rifle. No test target. They also PROBABLY do not do a detail strip for condition and collect ability. They DO gage the important stuff and inspect for overall condition and value.

Respectfully.

I Was not sure you had actually purchased from the CMP. You have.

I am sorry to disparage you in that case. And I have heard of all the problems you described.
But have not experienced any myself. So maybe you are just not as lucky as I was?

In ant case the CMP dose a better job than ever before testing there guns these days. And will make it right.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top