JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Received this e-mail from the CMP today. Not a lot of specifics but looks like it's going to happen.
This is the actual e-mail.

CMP 1911 Information

To all CMP constituents:
The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.
Some preliminary decisions:
  1. Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
  2. All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
  3. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
  4. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
  5. Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
  6. No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
  7. CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
  8. Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
  9. Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
  10. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
  11. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
  12. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
  13. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
  14. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.
Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
www.thecmp.org

Did I miss something or did they forget to mention,"insert broomstick up back side"?
Maybe it's just me (likely) but that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through.

Did I miss something or did they forget to mention,"insert broomstick up back side"?
Maybe it's just me (likely) but that seems like a lot of hoops to jump through.
It is and they can get away with it because so many want one of these. Back decades ago there was a ton of Mil Surp 1911's out there and even then they often would fetch a premium. As time went on and they dried up it got to what I considered insane. Last one I saw was a beat to crap Remington Rand. The shop had it priced at what a NIB SA Loaded sold for in the same shop. Went in a week later and it was gone. Supply and demand. There is a lot of demand so these will sell and people will do what needed to get one. I would not, but many will and the CMP knows it. I'm just glad to see the damn things sold instead of turned into scrap as many would like to see.

Like they say, it's worth what someone will pay for it.
Like they say, fools and their money are soon parted.
Just covering all the bases.

I've bought a lot from the CMP. And I've jumped through a bunch of hoops at times to do it.

But never have I regretted it.

Somebody please show me there M1 rifle, M1 Carbine, or other gun they bought from the CMP that they felt was a mistake. Or they lost money on?

I have enough G.I. 1911's. So I'm not going for one.
And I'm already regretting it.

Last Edited:
At this point, most anything remaining in inventory for 1911's will be many times rebuilt rattletraps.

Don't get me wrong, they will still have a cool factor. And they will still sell like hot-cakes. But anyone expecting a really high quality, excellent condition 1911 should get ready for disappointment. Temper your expectations with a dose of reality, and like @Medic! said, you'll be good!

Anything of exceptional quality will likely end up in auction with the correct grade M1's and Carbines.

I bet your no too far off Mountainbear.

What haunts me is the CMP's ability to find batches of like new weapons.
We hope for little, usually get better than we expect. And OMG! Some of the gems we see.

I have bought service grade M1's in the past, that were nicer than my Correct grade.
And that right there is what we will see again.

I cant give the %. But a few lucky soles will win the CMP Lottery.
And you know what they say? You cant win if you don't play. ;)

Anyways. We should know what to expect when they give a grades and conditions
description.

Last Edited:
Before any U.S. Military Weapon is placed into storage each and every one is sent through a Depot level refinishing process. And it won't be the first time. The people doing this aren't looking at the weapon as a Collectable so ZERO effort is taken to ensure that the Frames and Slides and Barrels are kept together. And it won't be the first time.

Before any U.S. Military Weapon is placed into storage each and every one is sent through a Depot level refinishing process. And it won't be the first time. The people doing this aren't looking at the weapon as a Collectable so ZERO effort is taken to ensure that the Frames and Slides and Barrels are kept together. And it won't be the first time.

Yes. Most.
But I and many others have bought rifles from the CMP that are 100% original. And with zero to minimal use.
I've seen M1's sold at auction from the CMP still in the factory foil bag.[Need to spend $4-$8k?]
Back in the 60's they sold 1911's new in the brown cardboard box.

We have sent our small arms all over the world. And stored them in deep dark places.
When they come home to the CMP for sale. There in every condition from used up. To rebuilt. To never used.

New M1's still come up for sale ever so often.

WTS - Two New / Unissued M1 Garands - CMP Forums

Last Edited:
And I'm very sure the best of the best will go home with those working at CMP. And, yes I know some have never been issued but by far the most of them will have been well Used. Because that's what they were intended for. I'm also sure the finer ones will be placed up for Auction. We already paid for these Guns once and now they want us to pay for them again.

And, "each and every one" is exactly what I meant. If a weapon has been issued it has gone through a Depot before being placed in storage.

And the Brown Boxes are very commonly used at the Depot after they have refinished a Pistol. That's SOP at a Depot, or at least it was.

And, "each and every one" is exactly what I meant. If a weapon has been issued it has gone through a Depot before being placed in storage.

And the Brown Boxes are very commonly used at the Depot after they have refinished a Pistol. That's SOP at a Depot, or at least it was.

You didn't say ''after issue''.
You said ''Before any US weapon is placed into storage''.

And the brown 1911 boxes had the makers name on them ''Remington Rand'' for instance.

I am trying to point out that some small arms were placed into storage ''New''. And stayed there until they were sold through the CMP many decades later.

So You never know what may come up.

As to the really nice ones going to auction. I bet your right.
But I doubt any CMP workers will walk off with any.

While I do not have direct knowledge of the CMP and their workings; I do have knowledge of how the Government handles "Surplus" property. The employees get to see what has just come in and in many cases they may have the first chance to purchase. That's what I was talking about.

I think I remember that there are CMP affiliated clubs that offer minimal cost, long distance memberships pretty much just for potential CMP buyers. Am I right or just hallucinating?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top