JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like some of you I was warm to the idea of possibly getting one of these 1911s. However after receiving the email posted in this thread I found my warmth turning to chill. Not so keen on the idea tonight. Too many hoops through which to jump and [as much as I hate to admit it] I am not as nimble now as when I was in my 30's. I too am content with the 1911s I have in the safe. Best plan for this geezer is get some popcorn and watch others enjoy their hoop jumping. Maybe even enjoy one of our Forum members actually scoring one of these surplus 1911s! That would be nice indeed.

I think I remember that there are CMP affiliated clubs that offer minimal cost, long distance memberships pretty much just for potential CMP buyers. Am I right or just hallucinating?

If you are not a US Veteran that can join a Veteran's Group chartered by Congress, then the next best thing would be to join the Garand Collector's Association. Trust google to get you to the site. They are recognized by the CMP.

If you are not a US Veteran that can join a Veteran's Group chartered by Congress, then the next best thing would be to join the Garand Collector's Association. Trust google to get you to the site. They are recognized by the CMP.
I am a veteran. What are those options?

I carried the 1911, and I've fired them in anger. I love them (the best) in pure USGI configuration.... but for all the BS they've stated, not THAT much.

I'm contemplating building USGI config 1911 myself from an 80% lower, so it'll be properly fitted and functioning, then having it parkerized by a certain local gunsmith in Estacada.... ;)

I carried the 1911, and I've fired them in anger. I love them (the best) in pure USGI configuration.... but for all the BS they've stated, not THAT much.

I'm contemplating building USGI config 1911 myself from an 80% lower, so it'll be properly fitted and functioning, then having it parkerized by a certain local gunsmith in Estacada.... ;)

Maybe I can stumble on to the one I first trained with 38 years ago; shake vigorously to disassemble.

lol

That day is the only reason I'd get one now..

1 Range Safety NCO
1 private (me)
1 M1911
1 Grease Gun
4 wire-bound cases of ammo...

My hands were black and blue that night...what a day.

:D

A couple of summers ago, a new member here listed a 1944 Remington Rand for sale that hadn't gone through the Army's re-arsenal process, but some relative had started to remove the slides finish for some unknown reason.
They didn't touch the roll marks and for the princely sum of $325.00 and a 100 rds of 9mm ammo it was mine, so I wasted no time putting it into the capable hands of Velzey and a couple of weeks later I had a great WW2 pistol. He did a great job refinishing it.
I found that at 50' it was dead straight on the bullseye, but 4" low, so I found an original rear sight that was a bit taller and now it consistently hits the center ring.
My only complaint is that the spent shells eject straight up and sometimes land on the shooters head, but all and all, I'm not complaining, as I will not find another as nice.

remington rand 001.JPG

remington rand 002.JPG

Last Edited:
At this point, most anything remaining in inventory for 1911's will be many times rebuilt rattletraps.

Don't get me wrong, they will still have a cool factor. And they will still sell like hot-cakes. But anyone expecting a really high quality, excellent condition 1911 should get ready for disappointment. Temper your expectations with a dose of reality, and like @Medic!
said, you'll be good!
Anything of exceptional quality will likely end up in auction with the correct grade M1's and Carbines.
Being a former armorer I can verify what you say is true. However, the parts used would be NSN parts. They also indicate that the weapons will be graded and priced according to grade. I still find the whole process o be a PITA though.

Last Edited:
I'm not sure the Public will see any of the Never Issued Guns. The Rumor Mill says that more and more Units have concluded that the 9mm guns aren't as effective as some people have been saying and that several of the Special Units have been requesting 1911A1s be issued because "THEY" do work.:rolleyes::eek::rolleyes:

But, who knows.

Go Navy! Beat Army!

If you're not a Submariner - USSVI is listed, you can check this Congressional VSO site House Committee on Veterans Affairs

Also listed is the NCOA, which not tied to one service.

Good Luck Brother.
VVA.ORG looks like the best and closest option. I've been planning on joining Practical Shooters at the IWL range in Eugene, so that would take care of the membership and marksmanship programs I think. A copy of passport and some other papers would not be too hard to scare up.

I'm already a registered CMP buyer; jumped on the bandwagon 20 years too late. The "Silver Tsunami" beat me to it...

I'll wait and watch for the grades they come out with; perhaps buy one.

Who knows, I may be driving by one of their stores some day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top