Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CLOSED

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by svg4, Jan 17, 2012.

1. svg4

svg4 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Is there a limit to the number of FTF sales you can do before you have to be a licensed dealer? Oregon Normal rifles and pistols, nothing odd or strange

question #2; Do you need to do paper work on the above sales?

Thanks

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

No limit / no paperwork just dont be doing it for making a profit like a busness. Some may argue if you have more than I believe 25 for sale at one time it could be considered a gun show which would require doing BG checks.

3. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

You're only limited by the number you own.

This is a joke and is now way supported by any law or legal knowledge

4. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

This is actually true.

5. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

My Gun club won'y allow more than 25 guns at our swap meets..

6. roger00352

roger00352 abilene tx New Member

There are laws governing the amount of money you can make like deadeye said. Most states require you to make more than $2000 profit before you must claim on you taxes. Once you reach that limit you may be concidered a dealer and may have to aquire a liscense. Best bet is to check with your local ATF Rep.

7. BSG 75

BSG 75 Oregon Well-Known Member

If you are "engaged in the business of dealing in firearms" you need to be licensed. The ATF defines "engaged in the business" as

There is no clear distinction when "occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases" becomes "repetitive purchase and resale of firearms".

8. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Say you have a collection of 1000 guns and you decide one day to sell it all that is 100% legal without a license per the law quoted above.

9. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

i would guess that if all deals were ftf with no paper trail that uncle sam would see who would be the wiser? if multiple out of state sales were involved there could be a problem. i dont know when the red flag would be raised.

10. blitz

blitz beaverton Active Member 2015 Volunteer

11. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I read it like this. It's against the law for me to buy and sell with then intent of making a profit. I trade and sell some guns to enhance the quality and hopefully the size of my collection. My wife will tell you that I'e never made a profit. Ken

12. lcb97269

lcb97269 Milwaukie, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter

Under Oregon law,where you and I live, 25 or more guns for sale = a gun show, unless it is disposing of personal arms, as in an estate sale. How they determine that who knows. Ask Ginny Burdick since she is the most antigun person in the state.

Just look at her and you will see she is on the Pelosi beauty plan. If she had her way, God forbid, we would all be sent to hell following it.

13. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Your gun club is full of derp, derp and more derp.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.