JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So us old farts remember Dirty Harry and the run on 44 Smith 29 he started. Will American Sniper do the same for super accurate rifles?

Please Discuss what you would build should you go that route.

It certainly has put the spotlight on the availability of long range rifles/optics to the general public.
Look for Legislators testing the waters for more laws restricting civilian access to certain rifles/scopes, based on some particular level of range/accuracy.
It's not that they're against the 2nd Amendment you see, no one says you can't have short range low capacity firearms but who needs more than 3 rounds and a range of 100 to hunt in the US anyway?

Last Edited:
Just took my Savage model 12 in 22-250 out of the safe and lovingly worked the action...bipod, 6 x 24 Bushnell scope.
Spent many pleasant evenings at the bench crafting loads, then to the range to prove (or disprove) their worth. While I'm certainly not a 1 mile shot, as in the movie, but I do get a small amount of pride from tight groups at a great (for me, at least) distance.

I haven't even sighted this one in yet. Liberty 20" fluted barrel in 223 Wylde , 8 x 32 Mueller scope.

IMG_1881_zpsc7afecc3.jpg

I've never attempted any long shooting yet, except for one time with my old 45-70 Trapdoor at 4-500 yards.
But I signed up for the 400 yard marksmanship course at Douglas Ridge in March.
My "sniper" rifle? My "long distance" rifle? It's my Ruger 30-06, the one rifle I use for hunting.
If you were to talk to Carlos Hathcock, he'd probably tell you I've got the right equipment. Now, do I have the skill? We'll see.
I'm a believer in the "one man, one rifle" concept.

Just took my Savage model 12 in 22-250 out of the safe and lovingly worked the action...bipod, 6 x 24 Bushnell scope.
Spent many pleasant evenings at the bench crafting loads, then to the range to prove (or disprove) their worth. While I'm certainly not a 1 mile shot, as in the movie, but I do get a small amount of pride from tight groups at a great (for me, at least) distance.

ROFLMAO I was just about to type: I have no need to build anything I own a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM in .243 Win with a 4-16X Mueller scope. Looks like we think alike. The rifle easily can out shoot me out to 1000 yards. At 200 yards its sub .5 moa with good loads.

If we are showing photos I'll add my Model 12

Savagemodel12wscope_zpsdbd50013.jpg

Last Edited:
My "sniper" rifle? My "long distance" rifle? It's my Ruger 30-06, the one rifle I use for hunting.

I'm a believer in the "one man, one rifle" concept.

Keep it real and simple. That should do you just fine. Remington 742 30-06 and a Savage 308 for me. The Savage is probably 45 years old with a 4 x 12 scope, the Remington is 30 years old with the same.

I made consistent shots at 400 yards with both guns last summer. I have a pretty damn good instructor, my son who was a scout sniper in Iraq. He really knows his stuff.

I guess Kyle hit a man at a mile and a 1/4, seems it would take some good optics to see well enough to identifie a target. I still think there will be more people looking for accuracy now than before the movie came out. Can you shoot minute of bad guy a mile a way?

The long range game has been going on for a few years now. Ever since they started telling us how long of shots the snipers were hitting targets at.
Heck first it was the Canadian at ,what , a mile?
The Lapua came outand changed the game.Then guys started stretching their Mosins out to a grand

LR hunting and shooting has exploded in popularity the last decade or so, People used to hear claims of consistent shot placement/groups a 1k yards and it seemed like BS, Now with improvements in all facets of shooting from ammo to glass it is very achievable and some find it easy with the right equipment. I had my boys before they were teens rocking the 500 meter gong 100% of the time withing a half hour of ever getting behind any sort of LR rig.

Even the wife is currently having a LR custom built. It's a Steyr ProHunter action with a dual spiral fluted #4 Hart barrel chambered in 280 Ackley. We'll top it with some decent glass like Vortex or Nightforce if the budget is there something in a 15X power or higher at the top end. It should be a hoot.

So yea, I think its here to stay. Even the libtards and feds are wanting to limit or restrict distance hunting already.

I always here the 338 Lapua referenced as earth shattering, For fun compare it to Roy Weatherbys 338-378 that was way before the Lapua. Impressive! The Lapua wants to be a Weatherby when it grows up.:D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top