Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Clint Eastwood

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Just Jim, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

So us old farts remember Dirty Harry and the run on 44 Smith 29 he started. Will American Sniper do the same for super accurate rifles?

Please Discuss what you would build should you go that route.

2. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

It certainly has put the spotlight on the availability of long range rifles/optics to the general public.
    Look for Legislators testing the waters for more laws restricting civilian access to certain rifles/scopes, based on some particular level of range/accuracy.
    It's not that they're against the 2nd Amendment you see, no one says you can't have short range low capacity firearms but who needs more than 3 rounds and a range of 100 to hunt in the US anyway?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
    MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  3. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Well, as long as we're dreamin'; I'd build a 44-90 on a RRB action.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  4. evltwn

evltwn Gold Hill Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Just took my Savage model 12 in 22-250 out of the safe and lovingly worked the action...bipod, 6 x 24 Bushnell scope.
    Spent many pleasant evenings at the bench crafting loads, then to the range to prove (or disprove) their worth. While I'm certainly not a 1 mile shot, as in the movie, but I do get a small amount of pride from tight groups at a great (for me, at least) distance.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

I haven't even sighted this one in yet. Liberty 20" fluted barrel in 223 Wylde , 8 x 32 Mueller scope.

IMG_1881_zpsc7afecc3.jpg

6. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

She's a beauty!

7. Just Jim

It seems movies can start people buying new guns, remember Quigly?

Caveman Jim and U201491 like this.
  8. greydog111

greydog111 peoples repubilik of Oregon Active Member

Stick with my M21 Nightforce scope and bipod. Built it from a Armscorp U.S.A National Match with a Kreiger barrel. Bang Bang, smile smile!

9. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've never attempted any long shooting yet, except for one time with my old 45-70 Trapdoor at 4-500 yards.
    But I signed up for the 400 yard marksmanship course at Douglas Ridge in March.
    My "sniper" rifle? My "long distance" rifle? It's my Ruger 30-06, the one rifle I use for hunting.
    If you were to talk to Carlos Hathcock, he'd probably tell you I've got the right equipment. Now, do I have the skill? We'll see.
    I'm a believer in the "one man, one rifle" concept.

10. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

ROFLMAO I was just about to type: I have no need to build anything I own a Savage Model 12 VLP DBM in .243 Win with a 4-16X Mueller scope. Looks like we think alike. The rifle easily can out shoot me out to 1000 yards. At 200 yards its sub .5 moa with good loads.

If we are showing photos I'll add my Model 12

Savagemodel12wscope_zpsdbd50013.jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    CoastRange57 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  11. Medic!

Medic! What just happened? Has eagle eyes. But cant remember what he saw. Bronze Supporter

Any accurate bolt action with a scope is a sniper rifle. Just add the sniper!

Wile many wear synthetic stocks. I prefer wood.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    Sstrand and Just Jim like this.
  12. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Keep it real and simple. That should do you just fine. Remington 742 30-06 and a Savage 308 for me. The Savage is probably 45 years old with a 4 x 12 scope, the Remington is 30 years old with the same.

I made consistent shots at 400 yards with both guns last summer. I have a pretty damn good instructor, my son who was a scout sniper in Iraq. He really knows his stuff.

13. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

"Any accurate bolt action with a scope is a sniper rifle. Just add the sniper!"

Or maybe a lever gun in 7 mm mag....

IMG_0090_zps38faaa3a.jpg

Medic! and CoastRange57 like this.
  14. Just Jim

I guess Kyle hit a man at a mile and a 1/4, seems it would take some good optics to see well enough to identifie a target. I still think there will be more people looking for accuracy now than before the movie came out. Can you shoot minute of bad guy a mile a way?

15. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

The problem/question I see around here is not what rifle/scope to shoot so much as where to shoot it..... long range that is.

16. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

17. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

The long range game has been going on for a few years now. Ever since they started telling us how long of shots the snipers were hitting targets at.
    Heck first it was the Canadian at ,what , a mile?
    The Lapua came outand changed the game.Then guys started stretching their Mosins out to a grand

18. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

LR hunting and shooting has exploded in popularity the last decade or so, People used to hear claims of consistent shot placement/groups a 1k yards and it seemed like BS, Now with improvements in all facets of shooting from ammo to glass it is very achievable and some find it easy with the right equipment. I had my boys before they were teens rocking the 500 meter gong 100% of the time withing a half hour of ever getting behind any sort of LR rig.

Even the wife is currently having a LR custom built. It's a Steyr ProHunter action with a dual spiral fluted #4 Hart barrel chambered in 280 Ackley. We'll top it with some decent glass like Vortex or Nightforce if the budget is there something in a 15X power or higher at the top end. It should be a hoot.

So yea, I think its here to stay. Even the libtards and feds are wanting to limit or restrict distance hunting already.

I always here the 338 Lapua referenced as earth shattering, For fun compare it to Roy Weatherbys 338-378 that was way before the Lapua. Impressive! The Lapua wants to be a Weatherby when it grows up.:D

orygun and CoastRange57 like this.