JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This one is grey area.
Another black kid and will be blown out of the water by Sharpton and Obama
I am sure.
Some BB guns look damned real and 12 yrs old in that area does not always look like 12 yr old.

Last I heard they are selling homes there for a buck just to get out. Environment not good?
Read all this with clear minds.
If someone, even a "12" year old pulled a BB gun that looked real on you what would you respond with??
Think of the environment back there also. ??

Cleveland police officer shoots 12-year-old boy carrying BB gun
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2014/11/cleveland_police_officer_shoot_6.html

At 12 years old, unless you are mentally defective (like mentally retarded and not just stupid), you should know right from wrong, and know better than to be walking around carrying any sort of gun in town, in your hands, let alone point it at anyone, let alone a cop.

12 year olds can pull a trigger just as readily as 20 year olds and there are a number of 12 year old psycopaths out there that would kill you just because they can. You don't have time to try and figure out motive, mental state, or what's going on in their mind. If they have a gun, and point it at you - it's a lethal force situation. It's a big ol' crap sammich any way it's sliced.

As for this specific situation - the gun pictured, if it's the one used, looks just like any other 1911 out there - and there's no way to know that it's just a BB gun. When the cop gives a command to put your hands up - and you reach for a gun in your waistband - you are going to die. This cop will get hung out to dry, no doubt.

At 12 years old, unless you are mentally defective (like mentally retarded and not just stupid), you should know right from wrong, and know better than to be walking around carrying any sort of gun in town, in your hands, let alone point it at anyone, let alone a cop.

12 year olds can pull a trigger just as readily as 20 year olds and there are a number of 12 year old psycopaths out there that would kill you just because they can. You don't have time to try and figure out motive, mental state, or what's going on in their mind. If they have a gun, and point it at you - it's a lethal force situation. It's a big ol' crap sammich any way it's sliced.

As for this specific situation - the gun pictured, if it's the one used, looks just like any other 1911 out there - and there's no way to know that it's just a BB gun. When the cop gives a command to put your hands up - and you reach for a gun in your waistband - you are going to die. This cop will get hung out to dry, no doubt.

Pretty much dead on and there have been many a gang banger 12 year olds that have shot people all over this country. Raised by pretty much brainless azz druggie adults for the most part.

I've seen so many posts on news sites where people are blaming the cops immediately without any other info. It is ridiculous. If someone is reported to have a gun (regardless of real or not) and then the said person doesn't follow instructions to put hands up and instead pulls out the gun, it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to realize that it isn't going to end well. Especially even with the way the actual gun looked. Sad, but another statement about the way the country is headed. No responsibility taught to anyone, it is always someone else's fault, and lack of parenting most likely. I know my kids have been instructed on what to do if the police ever ask (or command) to put hands up. Don't argue, and put them up and no quick movements.

I have a air gun range set up in my shop and leave BB & pellet handguns lay out on the work table from time to time. I have had more than one person walk in the shop and freak out just a bit because there where "guns" just laying about. They do look real. Matter of fact one of the BB guns is a M&P 9 clone which I practice with quite a bit. There is nothing about it that says "toy".

It seems like I am hearing more often about things like this. Kids who got shot by LE who had a toy gun. In my day (growing up in the early 70's) I dont think this happened, or at least very rarely. So is it just a deterioration of society over the last 40 years? We used to pack around BB rifles all over town. We had BB gun wars at the city park. It would have been unthinkable for a cop to intervene with anything other than a "you kids knock that off!"

I know we have a much more militarized police force and they are often engaging threats that would have been unthinkable 40-50 years ago. Its a sad thing, You cant blame the cop, In a perfect world he could have determined if the boy was actually a threat before using deadly force. In the real world in places like Cleavland I suppose its just as likely a 12 year old not only has a real gun but is doing more with it than trying to be a big shot show off with his buddies.

I feel bad for the cop. I would not want to be the guy who shot a kid with a BB gun. At least it sounds like the kid will make it.

I did, I saw the story earlier today and it said the kid was in the hospital, It was my assumption that was a good thing(as in he was not dead yet)

Yep, no good.

There was supposedly clear video of this. The kid was stupid and officers did what they needed to to stop a threat.
There's no way to tell a fake gun from a real one at night, with the orange barrel cap removed.
Kid wanted to be a gangsta, learned real quick what happens when your stupid.

Gentlemen - I spent almost four years of my life going into court as an expert witness in cases where not a single GENUINE firearm was used by a criminal intent of doing criminal things. EVERY single case I examined - over forty all told - involving what looked like a genuine firearm - and remember that this is in UK where the vast majority of people have never seen ANY kind of real firearm - turned out to have been an airsoft/blank-firer/BB gun.

I once carried out a 'check', in court, in front of the full judge/jury - the lot - in which I asked an unprompted member of a police firearms team to identify the two genuine Glocks out of the six lying on the table in front of him, at a distance ofonly fifteen feet.

Four were made by Tokyo Marui or KGS.

He got one right out of the six.

You really cannot tell - and that is the whole point - if a replica does not look like the real thing, then it's not a replica of the real thing. Nobody would buy a 'replica' gun if the advertisement read 'looks a bit like a Glock if you really scrinch your eyes up and use a bit of imagination'.

My sympathies lie with the two police officers who shot what turned out to have been a f*ckwit kid trying to look big.

tac

More finger pointing, outrage, demonstrations, rioting, looting, and fires coming right up.
33 years ago I was showing my uncle my new "chucks" He told me that one of his friends was a police officer and, if confronted and told to "drop your weapon": DO IT WITHOUT QUESTION! The police CAN and WILL shoot you if they feel threatened. I was 13 at the time. I always assumed he was telling the truth.

Here in not-so-merrie-olde-England the armed police unit personnel have a disconcerting habit of shooting people holding what appears to be a gun, even if it turns out to have been a table leg bought from a hardware store [true, look it up].

The call is simple - 'Armed police, drop the gun!' Admittedly they are supposed to give the NP three clear warnings, but hell, who's counting?

Then they shoot.

I'm here looking at one of those 'toy' Glocks, right here on my desk beside one of the genuine but deactivated Glocks. Both appear used, even though the TM version has been 'made over' to appear used the way the real thing was [the real one was one of mine back in the old days when we were let have Glocks that went 'bang' instead of ' ']

Mixing them up, and looking from five feet, I can't tell. And I've owned the real one since 1990...

Poor cops, having to deal with sh1t like this and getting called out for it.

tac

Last Edited:
That officer pulled up as the kid was reaching for his waist band. As a police officer if you wait to see if there's a threat you may already be dead.
I don't blame them for making a split second decision so they can come home to their wife, children, etc.
It's just more common sense, if you do something stupid you may have to deal with those consequences. No matter how old you are.

In the end, I'm happy to see people supporting the police.

Its a tough job, and they're scared.

Outgunned, outmanned.

It's not like they have the government backing them up, giving them the tools they want, or the latitude to do their job unimpeded.

And I'm really happy Monica posted that video of a cop crying.

If only more people could see that video, maybe the african american community wouldn't be tricked so easily by sharpton or obama.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top