Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Clean powder

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by PaulZ, Feb 8, 2012.

1. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Been awhile since the last discussion. Loading .38 spcl what is the cleanest powder for target loads?

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Titegroup

3. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

Cowboy Action folks use Titegroup a lot. I'm using 3 gns of titegroup and getting 600 FPS with 125 gn bullet. Careful cause you can easily double charge since a 38 case can physically hold upwards of 14 gns.

4. taylor

taylor Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

I was using 2.9 of Clays over 158grn lswc, I don't know the velocity but it hardly moved in my hand and was accurate.

5. SPU

SPU Southwest Oregon Old Fart

Perhaps not as clean as titegroup but I'm having very good success with W231 in .38 special and especially .357 magnum

6. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

VihtaVuori N320 is extremely clean and low flash but it can be hard to find in stock either local or online. Titegroup is clean, inexpensive, and readily available online and locally.

ETA: Just looked and Powder Valley has VV N320 in stock in 1 and 4 lb cans. It's more expensive than Titegroup but I calculated it's only about $5 per 1k difference in my 9mm loads. If you're gonna order online anyway it's worth it to me. If you're gonna buy local I'd just pick up Titegroup by the pound at Bi-Mart.

7. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Not Blue Dot if you're making light loads for a 3.5" barrel.