JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone been through a situation where the city tried to take you from county to city? we have a meeting coming up, and wanted to know if its a fight we can win?? anyone with Real experience on this, please advise.
Thanks...

Depends on the rules where you live. We have been faced with it, but so far, it's gone nowhere. For it to happen where we live, someone first has to petition for annexation and must have 60% of all residents in the proposed area to sign on to annexation. If that passes and is approved by the city, then it goes to a vote for the voters in the city - if they approve, it goes forward. We're stuck inside the urban growth boundary, so really, it's probably just a matter of time (years or more) that it will eventually happen. Hopefully we'll have moved out by then.

When the UGB was pushed further into our area, we fought it at both the city and county commission level. We were ignored. Not a single person on those boards live in our area. And they told us in no uncertain terms that annexation was necessary in the long run because they need the tax revenue - they didn't even try to hide that fact.

In two previous attempts, the a local resident trying to draw us in was unable to get near the 60% support by the people in our area. Thankfully most of our neighbors are against such a move - most of us moved where we did intentionally to stay out of the city. But some are looking to turn their property into big developments so they can pocket the cash.

I don't know if that's how it works where you are, so I don't know if that's helpful. I would say the best thing to do is get to know your neighbors and stay in contact with each other. Find out how many would be opposed to annexation and try to get them together to fight it - maybe with a petition of all the residents speaking out against it.

Live in Hazel Dell and so far we haven't given in too Vancouver City wanting to extend its limits north.

Which is why Vancouver stretches east until you hit the camas city line.

Being incorporated would suck and I would sell my house and move further north (may do that anyway at some point:D).

This is an interesting side of the annexation issue. My daughter was buying a house that had a septic issue. The house is located a one block out of the Renton area. We knew that they had put sewers in the area and went to visit the Renton City office that handled questions on sewer hookup. We were told, if you live outside of the city and hooked up to the city sewer you were now a "yes" vote for annexation; which I found interesting. After the city had a majority of "yes" votes, they would now annex that area.

Lincoln City was created from 5 (I think) little towns, I call it empire-building. The bureaucrat salaries and bennies are much better when you can annex your way to power. They are now in the process of annexing an area called Road's End, which none of the home owners there want because their taxes will go way up, but the city has them by the balls because their water supply comes from Lincoln City. They have tried to make it so that if you buy a home there you agree to annexation as a condition for buying, which is of pretty questionable morality if you ask me. As far as I'm concerned putting a gun to someone's head does not constitute any sort of agreement, and anyone who bought under those conditions is morally free to organize against annexation.

I think if you organize and work at it, it makes annexation difficult and may stop it (it also helps you make contact with your neighbors which is good for other reasons). Bureaucrats do not like to have their machinations exposed to the public, especially in the smaller towns where they have to live among the rest of us peons and interact with us every day. They might experience shunning behavior if things get hot enough. How would you like to go into a grocery store and be told to get the hell out? The bureaucrats want to avoid that sort of thing at all costs. This sort of effort does take at least a few very dedicated people (I call them "angels") to be effective.

I wrote a bit about the empire-building experience in Oregon here:
http://ncc-1776.org/tle2013/tle728-20130707-06.html

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top