JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is the stuff said by people who have NEVER had any interaction with "homeless". The houseless here are not people who can't afford rent. For every hundred with no home you "might" find 1 who really is in trouble and wants help. What you see in the real world here is people who want drugs. They do NOT want a job, or a home, they want drugs. Offer them a home where they can't do drugs and they walk away. So it becomes a HUGE money sucking entity. They who run it throw out numbers like millions of dollars spent and then admit it helped a few. They could buy a damn house for all of them for that. The rest want drugs and to be allowed to steal to buy more drugs. Can't afford to live and work in Seattle? MOVE. A lot of people who work with me work in Seattle. They live on the other side of the water and commute. This making excuses for the scum just makes it worse and attracts more of them. It does make a handful of people a LOT of money though.
I talk to people on the street all the time . It's not all Drug and mental illness, there are some pretty coherent people running around with just a tent and bike and make pretty good conversation with.
Earlier this week I grabbed a piece of cheep pizza at Winco w. Hillsboro. then went over to the side across Street where the now empty/closed fenced-in Pod camp sits. I sat down on sidewalk and we ate and talked about that particular camp set-up and why it closed, where the evicted homeless went, and what motels were offered to those who choose to go .
The game of popup a Homeless camp for profit is a real thing.
edit add:
I also used to work down Portland for several years. worked and talked to lot of the I seen more despair with mental illness there in Portland than here in the Tuality valley, more drug also. Portland just lays it all out in the open, especially in the public theater from Broadway Br. to Pioneer square.

Last Edited:
He's not talking solely about the homeless/transients/bums. He's talking about the fact that most working families are unable to afford actual home ownership/building their own homes with mortgages because of the fees involved with such. Look at how many families are living in rentals versus how many are owning homes and you'll see it's almost always a very different demographic between the renters and the homeowners. The exorbitant fees also help developers since they can afford to spend that money to make cookie cutter millionaire homes in specific neighborhoods, and forces the real estate companies to either sell unsold urban homes to developers or to raise prices on the properties in order to get the profit margins needed to stay in the black. It's more profitable for the State and County to develop high density housing than to sell old homes affordable, because tearing down old houses to make room for condos and apartment complexes also gives them tax write-offs and increased city service fees and taxes from property management companies.

Edit. Too long; didn't read version;

Follow the money, State and County gains most from making conventional housing unaffordable and giving them excuses to build high density apartment/condos and zoning for "homeless shelters" spaces as tax write-offs.
That sadly is again people get what they vote for. Ask those families who can't afford a place who they voted for last several times around? Many of them voted for just what they are living so hope they enjoy it. Sadly the people who made this mess will at every election pretend they want to "fix it". Just vote for me and I will fix this. Yet the same people saying that are the ones who made the mess. People really do get the Government they deserve. :s0092:

OK .. quit thinking about managing the Homeless by Washington County for it's financial enrichment and it's growth .

Let's think about the State and Washington County's ' Role in facilitating ' Our Homeless epidemic and it growth here in Oregon by it's business model for profit, and attack on available affordable family housing .
It is for fact a total artificial manipulated shortage of buildable zoned property to buy and build on, fueled with it's ruthless stranglehold with zoning and land management regulations, used to drive a soaring artificial market cost of home ownership . Just look at the control with Washington County inflated cost of Building Permits and Fee's for a development of One single-family dwelling at over 40,000-$ right now just for permission to be a homeowner.
Our own County and State government IS THE BIGGEST FACILITATOR of Homelessness based just on the fact of it's manipulation of making housing unaffordable, with it growing more out of reach every year for average wage earners. The State and County is the biggest problem with it's manufacturing of, No Place To Live .
I know all this. If not specifics, in general. Fer-instance. I know how the city manages trees! Tree in your yard? It's dying, and its' obvious? You got to get an inspector (city worker) out there. That will cost. IF the inspector give permission to take down the tree, you need a permit. that costs too. Then the screaming insane cost to take the tree out. And finally, the city of potland gives you the list of trees you're allowed to plant. Last I checked, several years ago, you are not "Allowed" to plant any maple tree on the street. Not sure about in your yard.

So, yeah, I believe the cities/counties use the homeless to generate money for their coffers.

If I am way out of bounds here with my thinking ? . Please set me straight with a more logical expatiation .

.. but what financial incentive could this be for a business model of Management ?
Washington County has setup a County Homeless service Dept. with employees. A working department to go after the millions offered by State, and Billions offered Federally .
With the ' business model of ' Homeless Management '' Washington County is receiving State and Federal funding . Local State Funds from Oregon 200-million Homeless Bill Past this year . Also funds applied for and collected out from Billions dedicated to the States in appropriated Federal Homeless Grant Funding, with also HUD giving Billions to be divided and given to individual States City/County homeless service agency's . Also probably receiving other funding I don't know about .

also .. ( my Opinion ) .. What I think with the State and County Homeless Management probably has no Illegality, but is definitely bottom dredging low with Morality and ethics, with squandering actual opportunity of help. But Instead just Using Homelessness Management for government enrichment and it growth .
I just Bumping this up . as it good to put things into the Light, rather than the State's idea of transparency being. Out of sight..Out of mind . The Homeless management business model for government enrichment-$ and growth . purchase property , 'Temporary set-up' , move-in small homeless numbers , close shut-down , Move homeless to Motel/hotel , and repeat 'again and again' from property to property.
It's not just Washington county but also Multnomah, Marion . Also i pretty sure it same Model used nationwide by other State county Gov.

Ok the Pod/Homeless was shut down on the City purchased property W. Hillsboro beside Winco foods. All the Pods are now being setup and wired on the County purchased property 4th and Davis, Cornelious next to Walmart.
here a Pic. .. also across opposite side of the Pod Camp is residential housing .
-

4th and Davis  Cornelious.jpg
-

---> the next stop after this property and pods for profit, it will be moving and repeating in County purchased 1.8 acre property on Elm St. Forest Grove
. .

The city and county have vacant properties all over the place. Let people "Live" on some pf these properties, and police them. Have some rules. Make them be responsible, to some degree, for themselves.
It wouldn't work. The people living in "homeless camps" don't want rules. They wouldn't live there for the same reason they don't go to shelters. They can't do their drugs, or drink, or take their dogs, or keep their stolen property.
He's not talking solely about the homeless/transients/bums. He's talking about the fact that most working families are unable to afford actual home ownership/building their own homes with mortgages because of the fees involved with such
I'm not sure what fees you are referring to that make home ownership unaffordable. Are there any fees associated with a mortgage that can't be wrapped into the loan?
Look at how many families are living in rentals versus how many are owning homes and you'll see it's almost always a very different demographic between the renters and the homeowners. The exorbitant fees also help developers...
What fees go directly to developers?

It's more profitable for the State and County to develop high density housing than to sell old homes affordable, because tearing down old houses to make room for condos and apartment complexes also gives them tax write-offs and increased city service fees and taxes from property management companies.

Follow the money, State and County gains most from making conventional housing unaffordable and giving them excuses to build high density apartment/condos and zoning for "homeless shelters" spaces as tax write-offs.
Housing in the state has become unaffordable to many because of state land use planning and urban growth boundaries which have artificially restricted the amount of land available for development. At the same time, we have adopted immigration policies which have doubled the population of the state since those laws were adopted. It's supply and demand.

But it is foolish to think that the "homeless" problem in this state is due to the cost of housing. We have created a haven for the drug addicted, with lax law enforcement, "harm reduction" programs like free drug paraphernalia distribution and so forth, which attracts them from all over. Until we face up to that fact there is no solution.

Closing costs between $2,900+ and $6,000, for $300,000-400,000 average home sale prices; this is very likely where the fees are hidden, and that's after combined taxes. This is just for the mere homeowner to buy.

Closing costs between $2,900+ and $6,000, for $300,000-400,000 average home sale prices; this is very likely where the fees are hidden, and that's after combined taxes. This is just for the mere homeowner to buy.
Yeah but, closing costs get wrapped into the loan. In the example you provided, they range from less than 1% to 1.5% of the purchase price. The buyer does not pay them up front. They are hardly a barrier to home ownership. If you can afford the loan, you can afford the closing costs. I find it really hard to accept the argument that the "homeless" crisis is due to closing costs.

Nothing is hidden. Closing costs are itemized in your purchase agreement. The necessity of some of them may be debatable, such as title insurance (required by law but rarely of any benefit), but mostly they pay the costs of providing the loan, such as property appraisal, title search, filing fees, and so forth.

There are no taxes involved in a home purchase, other than property taxes. The seller generally pays any taxes due.

These articles relate to COMMERCIAL real estate, and the costs that may be incurred by investors in commercial real estate projects. They have nothing to do with home buying.

Yeah but, closing costs get wrapped into the loan. In the example you provided, they range from less than 1% to 1.5% of the purchase price. The buyer does not pay them up front. They are hardly a barrier to home ownership. If you can afford the loan, you can afford the closing costs. I find it really hard to accept the argument that the "homeless" crisis is due to closing costs.

Nothing is hidden. Closing costs are itemized in your purchase agreement. The necessity of some of them may be debatable, such as title insurance (required by law but rarely of any benefit), but mostly they pay the costs of providing the loan, such as property appraisal, title search, filing fees, and so forth.

There are no taxes involved in a home purchase, other than property taxes. The seller generally pays any taxes due.

These articles relate to COMMERCIAL real estate, and the costs that may be incurred by investors in commercial real estate projects. They have nothing to do with home buying.
The last 2 articles are relevant because it's more profitable for both developers and City/County/State to develop high density housing than to leave old housing and property alone

To further expand...

It's not just the closing costs, but the high down payments I've been finding... (no one does 0-1% downs as far as I could find)

It's still way more money to buy a house than to just rent, in Oregon. The City/County/State would prefer to cram people into high density housing to get a lot more money from the management companies, while developers would prefer to get a lot more money from building high density housing than from people buying 1+ acres for their single family homes...

But anyways we are getting a way off the topic of the thread... sort of. Follow the money.

To further expand...

It's not just the closing costs, but the high down payments I've been finding... (no one does 0-1% downs as far as I could find)

It's still way more money to buy a house than to just rent, in Oregon. The City/County/State would prefer to cram people into high density housing to get a lot more money from the management companies, while developers would prefer to get a lot more money from building high density housing than from people buying 1+ acres for their single family homes...

But anyways we are getting a way off the topic of the thread... sort of. Follow the money.
None of this would be the problem it is if it weren't for state land use planning and urban growth boundaries. They have created an artificial shortage of residential real estate.

Saving enough for a down payment can definitely be an issue, but that's never been very different. Unless, of course, you qualify for a VA or FHA loan.

Last Edited:
I'd like to see where these mentioned $300.000.00-$400,000.00 homes are? That aren't in some once vibrant city that is now depressed with no jobs anywhere within 100 miles?

I'd like to see where these mentioned $300.000.00-$400,000.00 homes are? That aren't in some once vibrant city that is now depressed with no jobs anywhere within 100 miles?
Monmouth, Oregon; well actually, pretty much anywhere outside a 50 mile radius of Potland, and outside 25 miles radius of Salem/Keizer. Most of the State is considered rural and as such, properties/homes aren't as much as in Salem/Keizer, Eugene, Albany, Corvallis, Portland.

Edit. My parents home, a ~2,000sq ft 4 bedroom 2.5 bath in suburbia/college town Monmouth has been appraised at $483,000; but the majority of homes built around here are 2-3 bedrooms, and often duplexes/triplex rentals.

Last Edited:
Monmouth, Oregon; well actually, pretty much anywhere outside a 50 mile radius of Potland, and outside 25 miles radius of Salem/Keizer. Most of the State is considered rural and as such, properties/homes aren't as much as in Salem/Keizer, Eugene, Albany, Corvallis, Portland.

Edit. My parents home, a ~2,000 4 bedroom 2.5 bath in suburbia/college town Monmouth has been appraised at $483,000; but the majority of homes built around here are 2-3 bedrooms, and often duplexes/triplex rentals.
Just for my own curiosity....

That $439K three years ago would have been $350K, or less. We have been looking. Should have jumped this sinking crap hole three years ago when we first started looking. Our house here in NE potland has gone up in value, but our money in the account we inherited from my parents hard work has been trashed in the last year. FJB Makes me paranoid to jump on something and have the economy tank even more. FJB

Just for my own curiosity....

That $439K three years ago would have been $350K, or less. We have been looking. Should have jumped this sinking crap hole three years ago when we first started looking. Our house here in NE potland has gone up in value, but our money in the account we inherited from my parents hard work has been trashed in the last year. FJB Makes me paranoid to jump on something and have the economy tank even more. FJB
Yeah, I'm not sure where they get the "$300,000-$400,000 average/median" home prices from. 🤔 the other article above for how much a monthly payment is in Potland seems to point to a more realistic average price of $540,000+...

But it's also possible they're including the costs of condos for sale . There's an interesting listing for Monmouth that shows an "8 bedroom 4 bathroom" multi-family building for $675,000ish; it sounds like a 4 plex of 2 beds/1 baths apartments and sounds like the rental company wanted to get rid of it

Doing a Zillow Oregon search, either "500,000 max price" or "900/ month payments" and selecting only homes for sale.. the vast majority of listing under $300k found for either price set are in very rural, very isolated small towns, or are manufactured homes in trailer parks. For the $900/month 0% downs, studio homes to 2 bedrooms, most of which are literally falling apart and "fixer uppers"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top