JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need a chronograph. In my research it seems there are a few decent options, but that a guy could end up with trash if he's not careful. Experts please chime in: if you were buying one today, what would you get? I'd like to get the best I can for the least amount of money, but at the same time I'd also like to know why it might make sense to spend a bit more.

Here are the options I've been reading about:

1. This one comes pretty well recommended and is said to have one of the largest shooting areas of them all.
Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital Chronograph. $119.95
Software and cable solution to extract data. $49.95
Optional remote with no digital readout. $89.95
Total for this option: $259.85
I worry that you can't read your data on the remote, so the only way to get real-time data is by seeing the readout on the unit (not ideal), or by having your PC connected on the spot (uh… I can see it now…). Long story short, the user really needs to collect info and just review later. Now that's my take… other users seem to feel that the digital readout is large enough for getting reads from the bench and that the remote is not needed. If true, then you've got one of the most recommended Chronographs for $120.

2. Shooting Chrony has a lot of haters, so I'm thinking I shouldn't get one of those. Please feel free to school me here. They make a lot of options, so it's tempting to go this direction. That said, there are a whole lot of people saying not to go this direction, so I'd need to know why this is the better route and not just that you like yours. Experts, please chime in.

3. The CED M2 Chronograph looks interesting, though I'm not finding definitive reviews one way or another. It does not seem to have a big shooting area, so I worry about shooting it. It's also $169.99 right now for the full package. This I like. The remote on this one has a digital readout so you can collect data immediately and right at the shooting bench. Also, I can connect to it later with the PC interface that is included at this price. This is a plus. That said, there have been quite a few negative reviews regarding error reads due to lighting. These seem to be the same issues the Shooting Chrony guys are having, and the only fix seems to be to put fabric on either side of the reading units. Personally I don't want this problem.

Again, experts please chime in with the "what" and the "why".

Thanks again NWFA!!

I have the CE ProChrono without those options extras and love it. It's very easy to see the readout on the unit from the bench if you are shooting at normal chronograph distance, and it saves something like 100 shots so you can review them later. For the $140 in extra options like the remote and software I'll save the money and go throught he arduous process of writing down the velocity via pen and paper ;)
There is also the ProChrono Pal which is the same as the ProChrono but with fewer functions if you don't need all the functions and it's about $20 less.
It's very accurate, has a huge shooting area (no need to move the chrono around when I set up several targets at 100yd), doesn't seem affected by different lighting conditions, just a good unit. I can't think of any negatives with it.
I haven't tried the others you mention and have no reason to.

We kids got together and bought Dad an Oehler 35P (after I shot the screen support on his old one). They're not cheap ($350-$600 depending on options), but I don't think you'll find a better one unless you pick up one of Oehler's military versions. Since then, they've stopped production and restarted in 2010 and I recall seeing a post from someone who talked to them this year at the SHOT show who said they're still available.

<broken link removed>

elsie

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews