JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at getting a chronograph and I'm looking for recommendations and pros and cons of different chronographs.
I'd prefer ones that don't require plugging a cord into my phone (on unit display or wireless) but I can always get an adapter.

I have a Caldwell. It works, display on the unit. If (when) you shoot the sunshade things, replacements are readily available. I can't say I wouldn't recommend it, though I'm very sure there are better units

What model is it?

KIMG0310.JPG

How well has it worked in bright light conditions? How close to barrel are you using it?
Works ok in bright light and cloudy days. The LED thing for night/indoor doesn't seem to work at all. I've shot anywhere from 10-20ft away, rifles and pistols. Numbers it gives me are relatively close to what boxes say they should be so I'm confident it's accurate enough

The optical chronographs are adequate and affordable, if you're looking for an occasional velocity check. But they're sensitive to light conditions and they're a pain to set up.

If you want a tool to use more regularly (reloading for multiple rifles, getting serious about long range, etc.), give the MagnetoSpeed and LabRadar a look. More expensive. More accurate. Easier to use.

Have the LabRadar. I like it.

Pros:
Shoot next to it, not through it.
Fairly compact
Can use app on phone to interface/read readings/review data
Don't have to go down range/cold range to make adjustments.

Cons:
Cost
Battery life rumored to be short (I use an external battery pack
A little quirky to navigate using buttons on unit (I prefer to use app on phone to control)

I am satisfied with my ProChrono LTD (I bought used here).

Caldwell premium kit has been a true workhorse for me. I also have a Magnetospeed sport model and it works really well too. Between the two I prefer the Caldwell because it doesn't impact group size or point of impact.

Pros and cons
Caldwell: finniky to set up, I've learned to set up close to the rifle about 6ft to set up faster and get less errors. Less ideal at a gun club. Can be affected by bright days it seems. Once I learned to set it up close I rarely have error readings. I like that I can record velocity and zero at the same time. Does not affect groups. Affordable.

Magnetospeed. "easier" setup, ideal for use at a gun club. You still have to get parallel to the bore within 3/8". Doesn't work so well on different barrel profiles or muzzle devices, eg: lots of error readings on my AR barrel I gave up on that rifle. If you have a basic bolt action, no compensator it works great. Downside it affects group size so only good for measuring velocity and thats it.

Note: I once ran both at the same time and the velocity readings was within a few fps I don't worry about one being more accurate than the other.

My preference is the Caldwell optical chronograph.

Last Edited:
I used to own the Caldwell Premium kit but it never left the house and eventually sold it after several years of non-use. At a gun range, it's a PIA to setup and I always worried that I would eventually shoot the electronics. Bought the MagnetoSpeed V3 and have used it a bunch. I like the fact that I can mess with it during a hot range. You can still shoot it but kit includes a measurement bar to make sure you are clear of the bore. It can effect the point of impact and/or group size as mentioned above by other users but I'm only using it to get velocity measurements and the lowest SD and then fine tune from there. It can be a hassle to get it to fit on rifles with odd muzzle shapes/devices but there are adapters that can be purchased to deal with some of those issues and attach to Picatinny rails. Like the electronics for it but it does require a "dongle" to attach to phone for downloads to the app but definitely worth it. Saves data to SD card which can then be transferred to computer.

My vote is for the MagnetoSpeed V3.

I used the older model Competition Electronics for a couple decades. I was happy with it, although I hated the wired remote. A year and a half ago I picked up their new model with blue tooth and use my iPhone as a remote and for the money, you can't beat it. The MagnetoSpeed is more expensive, doesn't work well for handguns, and I hate having anything hanging off the end of the barrel since I am also shooting for groups when chronographing loads. The LabRadar is over $600 and can't handle velocities over 3,900 fps ( in case you are an avid Varmint hunter who loves lightweight bullets in .22 center fires).

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top