JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I checked that out... I'm getting ready to fire off an email to the committee members overseeing that...

here's a copy of what I'm sending:

CC:

Representatives: Jeff Barker, Brent Barton, Chris Garrett, Chip Shields, Jefferson Smith, Judy Stiegler

Dear Representative,

HB2727 is an important defense for the privacy of concealed handgun license holders in Oregon. The bill, in its original form, will provide the best possible protection for sensitive information collected by the sheriffs of license holders. Their personal information should not be subject to disclosure at the whim of personnel working for a state agency. To do otherwise is to give in to political machinations that would try to intimidate law abiding citizens from either obtaining or maintaining a Concealed Handgun License because of ostracizing or possible "demonstrations" outside their residences, places of employment, or any other place they frequent.

The Clackamas County Sherriff has stated that he WILL divulge the information of CHL if asked. A recent news story indicated that Portland law firm; O'Donnell, Clark & Crew was requesting the names of license holders on behalf of an "unnamed group", and apparently they were successful in getting the names of Clackamas County residents... why?

All too often we see (in the news) increasing "special interest" groups harassing law abiding establishments, and sometimes the private homes of law-abiding citizens with demonstrations that they may "philosophically" disagree with. Case in point; that family fur coat business (the family name eludes me at the moment) up in Portland being CONSTANTLY harassed by PETA, despite PETA breaking the law and the local police REFUSING to enforce said laws.

Those who apply for, and are issued a CHL pass a State Police background investigation. This is a demonstration of being a responsible citizen, and they are OBVIOUSLY not of a criminal disposition otherwise they wouldn't bother with going through the CHL process in the first place. This in my view makes any argument for the public release of CHL records in the interest of "public safety" null & void. There are more deaths, damage, and hazards caused by automobiles (over firearms)everyday, yet one cannot just walk into a DMV office with any car's license plate number and get the personal information of it's owner.

It's been argued that the public has a right to know who has a CHL, because nobody forced them to get a gun... but then again, nobody forces anyone to get a car either.

I urge you to pass HB2727 without amendments as soon as possible.

respectfully,

############
Woodburn, OR

Guys,

We REALLY need to respond to our Rep's in regards to the Oregon CHL privacy law. Please use the link in the original posting and them respond to the thread so it stays on the home page more. This matters to you!

:cool:

I want the NAMES and addresses of everyone owning a Pit Bull !!!!!!!!!!! I want the names of everyone driving a vehicle that gets less than 20 MPGs. I want the names of all smokers! How about the names of all drivers with more than one speeding ticket? They ALL have the potential to harm me! Where does it all end.

WOW... I actually received a reply from one of the representatives!!

Dear #######,

Thanks for the email. This has become very complicated. Those in control want to change it. I would prefer to keep 2727 in tact. I don't see that happening. The dash 7 amendments direct the custodian of the records to be the key source to release any information. I know that the Oregon Sheriff's Association would prefer to allow the sheriff make the call. The sheriffs that I know across the state are very protecttive of this issue. Having served 29 years with the State Police, I understand you thoughts.

Andy

Andy Olson
State Representative
Oregon House District 15 - Albany

Here is my reply...

Dear Rep. Olson,

Your reply and stance on this issue is much appreciated! I just sent another email to the entire House Judicuiary Committee concerning the amendments on 2727 with some points of views and perceptions concerning the arguments of those who want this bill to fail, or pass with the proposed amendments thus making it susceptible to contrary political machinations, as well as less than honorable individuals & groups with agendas... please feel free to bring those points to the committee's attention for consideration, and maybe ask them to imagine themselves in any of those outlined situations. There is a LARGE number of Oregon residents keeping score on this matter because it IS an important issue.

Thanks again for your work in this matter,

sincerely,

####### #######
Woodburn, OR

WOW... I just got another response from another representative...

Thanks for writing. Representative Krieger will do his best as he signed on as a supporter of this bill and it means a lot to him.
Colleen Krieger
Legislative Assistant for
Representative Wayne Krieger
District 1

I'm sending the same reply as I sent Rep. Olson

I just sent my email out, thanks for all of those email addresses! Made it much easier!
Lets just hope that with enough responses that they actually do something about it.

Sent my email out to all the reps listed. I made a few additions based on my own unique experiences and the fact that I operate a business in Portland.

I will update if I receive a reply.

This is my first time ever contacting a public official (voluntarily). Thank You for posting this, so we are informed. Thank You for for the Link and making it so easy.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top