JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all. I am not sure if this has been asked before, I could not find any thread on it. So I applied for my CHL, took my class, paid my fees and did the finger printing. Four weeks later I receive a denial letter stating I could pose a threat to myself or the community. (Multnomah county)

The reason for the denial is because two years ago the police came out, they got a call from someone saying I had a loaded gun and I was a suicide risk. I was not suicidal I was drunk and stupid. I have now been sober for a year and plan to stay that way. They took my firearms temporarily and brought me to the hospital where I was released that night. There were no charges and they released my firearms back to me after 24 hours. I have since purchased firearms and passed the background checks. So you can see my confusion. I can own and buy firearms but, I cant carry?

I have not been in any other trouble before or after this incident at all. The letter states I have 30 days to petition but, I don't know how to start. If anyone can help or has any advice that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Like you said they can deny you for good cause , or as you stated being a threat to the community . It's a judgement call of the person doing the research at the sheriffs office . They have actually accessed and read the police report from a few years ago, and made their decision on that. I would image that the words, suicide, loaded gun, and drunk and intoxicated had something to do with it ......even if they didn't get the story right , just stating what an outside source reading the police report might think , and why they denied you......... It sucks , I know yes.

You could try to fight it and spend money on a lawyer.... But if the state law want you to wait 4 yrs after getting a misdemeanor before you can be approved, the same reasoning might be applied by the sheriff . They might want you to prove yourself for 4 years after the police contact you had. ....again I know it sucks .

One thing to consider if you do fight it and petition and go in front of judge or whoever ...and they say well sir you were suicidal and had a loaded gun......your argument of I was just drunk and stupid with a loaded gun isn't going work and get it done either thou....... Even if you haven't been drinking for a year now( by the way congrats and great job)
It still shows that your overall decision making to start drinks with having a loaded gun wasn't the best overall judgement call. And they could be making their decision based on that too....again I know it sucks....

Just wanted to give you some food for thought on the situation and a couple different outlooks ..... Hope it gets worked out for you, and stay on the great path of sobriety that you've started

i have a feeling this guy joined the forum to make people look like a fool, judging by his request for "an assault type rifle" on his hi-point trade post. asking for advice on how to get a CHL after openly admitting to have drunken fits with a loaded gun is just another way to make us look bad. frankly i wouldnt want you carrying a gun either and im glad the sheriff said no, assuming your story is even true. if it is true maybe you should seek professional help for what you have done in the past, you dont just do things like that solely because of alcohol.

I didn't check his other posts, nor did I check to see when he joined.....I do agreed with the person above that they made the right choice , in denying him....I was just was trying to be nicer about it I guess....lol. But I do think that a petition is a lost cause in his case, and the sheriff will deny him again based on either of the "two" stories stated above

Well I am truly sorry, I was not trying to make anyone look like a fool. I came here for some advice, not to get ragged on. Yes I was going through quite a tough time in my life and I did something really really idiotic. I am sure no one here has every done something stupid. I realized what I have done and have learned from my mistakes. Oh and sorry about the add what I meant was a semi auto rifle, I was fairly new to this aspect of my life then and maybe have chosen my words better. So it looks as though I am out of luck then.....

The book offered by OFF (Oregon Firearms Federation) on Oregon Gun Laws has a section on how to appeal a denial of CHL. It seems pretty easy to follow and you can do it yourself without a lawyer. Worst case: Denial upheld and you are out a filing fee and a few hours of your time. Best case: CHL approved. I suggest you donate to OFF, get the book and give it a try. (This is a SUGGESTION, it is not legal advice).

Well I am truly sorry, I was not trying to make anyone look like a fool. I came here for some advice, not to get ragged on. Yes I was going through quite a tough time in my life and I did something really really idiotic. I am sure no one here has every done something stupid. I realized what I have done and have learned from my mistakes. Oh and sorry about the add what I meant was a semi auto rifle, I was fairly new to this aspect of my life then and maybe have chosen my words better. So it looks as though I am out of luck then.....
Keep your flame suit on for a while.
N00bs asking certain types of questions tend to be scrutinized a bit more than others. If you are an okay person who has made mistakes like the rest of us, then stay and learn from those who know, and feel free to share things that are in your area of expertise and/or experience...like being denied by your local CLEO, and how you end up resolving that issue. Let your loss/mistake be someone elses gain.

Two options:

Wait it out..
Or
Fight it...

You are in a poopy county so waiting two more years and staying sober will really help you when you are cleared to carry.

Thanks for lurking for the last 4 years. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top