JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The fake suppressor is a shroud around the 12" barrel - as required in yUK law for a so-called Long-Barrelled handgun - and the brace is a sop to make it 24" long oal.

If you live in Northern Ireland you have a regular-looking version, just like you can.

To be legal here on Mainland yUK a CARTRIDGE-FIRING handgun - any calibre - must be 23" long overall, of which the barrel must be at least 12" inches.

So in order to be compliant they all have to look like that.

Only .22 rimfire semi-autos are allowed on mainland yUK.

ANY black powder muzzleloading revolver is permitted.

Here is MY Ruger Super Redhawk in .357Magnum - compliant, of course...with my Ruger Old Army underneath.

1589896101183.png

There ARE certain ways around this ridiculous law - legal ways, I hasten to add - but they involve 'ownership' of a handgun that is kept at one of eleven regional 'secure facilities' where you have 'visitation rights' to go see it and fondle it, and, of course, 'discuss' it in a meaningful and chin-stroking manner.

Having commanded troops there is no way on earth that I'm EVER going down THAT particular route.

So it does actually have a 12inch barrel?

It do. Anything less would be illegal to own. Mind you, you can have even a Sheriff's model BP Colt revolver with a 4" barrel.....AND shoot it.

It gets worse, if you can imagine how.

Only the person to whom it is registered - that is, the details of the gun are on the Firearms Certificate - is allowed to shoot it. Ever. So if I was hankering after one, I am not able to try out one belonging to another person - not even in a gun-store that MIGHT had try facilities -VERY rare in this country, given the gun laws of so-called 'illegal temporary possession of a Section 1 Firearm [this IS a Section 1 [rifled barrel] firearm].

This is a .22cal yUK-Mainland-legal semi-auto -

1589896988966.png

The moderator is a frawk, of course, but it looks cool. :rolleyes:

It do. Anything less would be illegal to own. Mind you, you can have even a Sheriff's model BP Colt revolver with a 4" barrel.....AND shoot it.

It gets worse, if you can imagine how.

Only the person to whom it is registered - that is, the details of the gun are on the Firearms Certificate - is allowed to shoot it. Ever. So if I was hankering after one, I am not able to try out one belonging to another person - not even in a gun-store that MIGHT had try facilities -VERY rare in this country, given the gun laws of so-called 'illegal temporary possession of a Section 1 Firearm [this IS a Section 1 [rifled barrel] firearm].

This is a .22cal yUK-Mainland-legal semi-auto -

View attachment 698656

The moderator is a frawk, of course, but it looks cool. :rolleyes:
Can you guys get suppressors over there? If so do you Still have to have the 12in barrel or does the suppressor count for length.

That stainless Rhino is gorgeous, as is that Ruger Redhawk. Do the grip struts swivel or are they pretty well fixed? Id imagine they could accidentally bend. Also, could that same grip strut be used as a sort of arm brace or legally be modified to accept a type of forearm brace?

Last Edited:
Can you guys get suppressors over there? If so do you Still have to have the 12in barrel or does the suppressor count for length.

Ah, you are pretty new here, right? So I guess my last three or four thousand posts about what we can and cannot have over here in yUK are water under the bridge, right? :(

No matter. Yes, we CAN have suppressors here, no tax either like you have to pay. And no, the barrel remains 12" - if you want to fit a suppressor it goes on the end.............for full-size calibres, given the spaces we have and the livestock that occupies them, there are some counties where suppressors are compulsory for sporting shooting, especially when taking place at night in fox control. Amazing, huh?

Last Edited:
That stainless Rhino is gorgeous, as is that Ruger Redhawk. Do the grip struts swivel or are they pretty well fixed? Id imagine they could accidentally bend. Also, could that same grip strut be used as a sort of arm brace?

Not only are they fixed, they are welded into the frame of the gun. Removing them is a serious criminal offence, as you would then be in illegal possession of a Section 1 Firearm - five to ten years for that. Bending is not an option either - they are usually made of a 400-series stainless steel and are pretty robust. and yes, they could be used as an arm brace, in fact, Taurus long-barrelled revolvers do exactly that. To my mind they are as useful as wings on a spoon, but whatever.
1589902928335.png

Not only are they fixed, they are welded into the frame of the gun. Removing them is a serious criminal offence, as you would then be in illegal possession of a Section 1 Firearm - five to ten years for that. Bending is not an option either - they are usually made of a 400-series stainless steel and are pretty robust. and yes, they could be used as an arm brace, in fact, Taurus long-barrelled revolvers do exactly that. To my mind they are as useful as wings on a spoon, but whatever.
View attachment 698674
I knew legally from other posts they are a requirement, But I wasn't sure if they swiveled or could be modified to accept a sort of arm brace to better place pressure on the gripping hand or not. From the looks I didnt realize they were so stout. But I see what you mean with the Taurus, thats about the idea I had in my mind when I had asked. Its cool that it can be used as such a brace.

Is there a legal rockwell hardness of the strut? I could imagine if the strut wasnt robust and an accidental bend was to occur that could cause some legal trouble.

I know a lot of guys pop off about foreign laws but we have to play the cards we're dealt where we reside. Pay those negative types no attention my man.. Some just like to complain. My outlook is, The fact that you've gone to the extent to get into the hobby and posses such a-firearms (in the UK no less) is pretty cool and no doubt a very difficult process. I didnt realize at the range non owners are unable to shoot another persons registered firearm.

I knew legally from other posts they are a requirement, But I wasn't sure if they swiveled or could be modified to accept a sort of arm brace to better place pressure on the gripping hand or not. From the looks I didnt realize they were so stout. But I see what you mean with the Taurus, thats about the idea I had in my mind when I had asked. Its cool that it can be used as such a brace.

Is there a legal rockwell hardness of the strut? I could imagine if the strut wasnt robust and an accidental bend was to occur that could cause some legal trouble.

I know a lot of guys pop off about foreign laws but we have to play the cards we're dealt where we reside. Pay those negative types no attention my man.. Some just like to complain. My outlook is, The fact that you've gone to the extent to get into the hobby and posses such a-firearms (in the UK no less) is pretty cool and no doubt a very difficult process. I didnt realize at the range non owners are unable to shoot another persons registered firearm.

Thanks for the friendly resplone!!! Quite refreshing, I tell ya. The law about not shooting somebody else's gun ONLY applies to this particular type of firearm, else we couldn't have our once-a-month guest days where everyone can shoot anything - except these stupid-looking handguns. I began shooting when I was just six, with my dad's highly illegal Colt .45 M1911... I've never NOT been into shooting and I'm now 74. Here in yUK I have nineteen guns, seven of them .22s of one kind or another, but no shotguns.

As always @tac i appreciate the information on UK gun laws.

I'd say those are goofy looking pistols, but we have similar here in the states to be legal.

Are there any funky calibers that are fairly common to UK but not so much in the states?

As always @tac i appreciate the information on UK gun laws.

I'd say those are goofy looking pistols, but we have similar here in the states to be legal.

Are there any funky calibers that are fairly common to UK but not so much in the states?

Well, AFAIK the USA has its share of oddball calibres that we NEVER see over here - mostly the wildcat stuff. P O Ackley's improvements are seldom seen, but it has to be said that they are popular among a small number of shooters who just want something different. Just about everything you have, we have over here, except for stuff like .458 Win Mag, unless you are a safari-goer. We have a thriving .50cal Association here, too, although obviously the ranges are somewhat limited - mostly military up to 4000m or so. .50cal BMG and the Chey-tac calibres are used there. No, I'd say that we shoot more or less the same thing, using rifles that are much the same as yours.

One thing to remember is that F-Class was invented here, albeit by a Canadian, and as a result we have a LOT of custom rifle builders, like Riflecraft and Dolphin Arms and so on, AND stock-makers like Form, too.

I figured as much, thanks.

I know there are a ton of calibers out there. I'm not too familiar with those developed by the U.K. I know of one actually 303 Brit. At least that's what we call it!

Has anyone over there tried using one of our "pistol braces" to get that overall length that the rods on the bottom accomplish? Does your government have anything on the books in regards to American pistol braces? I don't think anyone in the states has put a brace on a revolver, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

I figured as much, thanks.

I know there are a ton of calibers out there. I'm not too familiar with those developed by the U.K. I know of one actually 303 Brit. At least that's what we call it!

Has anyone over there tried using one of our "pistol braces" to get that overall length that the rods on the bottom accomplish? Does your government have anything on the books in regards to American pistol braces? I don't think anyone in the states has put a brace on a revolver, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done.

The answer to that is that the gun must have been originally manufactured with the brace fitted, same as the rules on our man-op straight-pull, gas-less centrefire rifles and carbines. The government wouldn't know an american pistol brace if one was thrust up their collective nostrils, and could really care less about what anybody else does, or thinks or produces. The only handguns I had ever seen before these things came out, that had any kind of an extension or brace, were the C96 Mauser, the Model of 1851 Colt, the Browning/FN P35 and the P.08 Lang kak Artillery Luger, and indeed, any P.08 with a stock lug. The Beretta with the built-in folding stock never came here. But we DID, for a short while have the Mini AND Micro Uzi!!!

Ah, you are pretty new here, right? So I guess my last three or four thousand posts about what we can and cannot have over here in yUK are water under the bridge, right? :(

It doesn't matter if he is new or not. He asked a simple question @tac. I've been around these parts for a while and have read many of your three or four thousand posts about what is allowed in yUK and I didn't remember the exact answer.

It doesn't matter if he is new or not. He asked a simple question @tac. I've been around these parts for a while and have read many of your three or four thousand posts about what is allowed in yUK and I didn't remember the exact answer.

Hey, I didn't mean it in a cruel way, truly - I meant that if he'd ever read any of of my stuff he would be more familiar with the problems we have over here, apologies if it came over as hoity-toity - NOT what I meant.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top