JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm sad to see your stuff go. I can relate too well since I've hoarded mine since 1970. Life just isn't what it used to be... :(

It's not the stuff going, it's the changes in our fisheries that is sad to me. My parents were both hoarders. My mother could have been on the show hoarders. Not quite as bad, but still sick. I hoard to a degree like my father. Things long forgotten and of no use. And things/stuff that could very well have use in the future. It's difficult for me to throw away that 6" piece of heater hose after replacing it on the truck. You all that tinker know what I mean. Fourteen varying sized pieces of heater hose is a problem...Unless you use the stuff regularly. I'm not that bad. I probably have four pieces under the bench.

The old timer who taught me to hog line salmon fish talked me into going to the funeral of old Bob Fitzgerald, with the idea that I could talk to the widow about the tackle boxes. These mythical one of a kind lures actually came in three large Craftsman tool boxes.
As I stood in line to offer my condolences after the funeral and feeling like a complete jerk for even attempting to ask the widow about her late husbands fishing gear, I overheard every old guy in front of me ask the same question that I was going to ask, "Would you consider selling Bob's tackle boxes? Oh, OK, I'll think about it."
When my turn came, I asked about them and her reply was the same reply as the guy in front of me. "You have to buy the boat first to get them."
My fishing partner told me that the boat had a brand new Easy Load trailer, as the old one had been stolen out of Meldrum's Bars ramp parking lot, a new top and a newer 25 hp Johnson motor, for only $1,000.00.
With my friend elbowing me in the ribs, "Buy the boat, I'll loan loan you the money", I made the deal right there and all the old guys behind me groaned and cussed.
I caught way more Springers with old Bob's gear then any store bought ones and some days I would auction off one with his special spinner blades that old Bob had tied up to the highest bidder in the hog line, right after I had just landed two Springers, while nobody else was catching anything.
Each box weighed 30 lbs or more.
The boat was named the "Ida Bob" and all the old timers said that it was the luckiest fishing boat out there.

Last Edited:
Quite a lot of Springer history up in the Sellwood to Oregon City reach.

Bill Wisdom and his Wisdom blades
Dudley Nelson and his Dud's Plug and the Nelson blade
And the fish tails nailed to his shed

Mr Weaver and Bonnie at Oak Grove

Steve Koler Oregon City guide who died early due to a stroke

It's not the stuff going, it's the changes in our fisheries that is sad to me. My parents were both hoarders. My mother could have been on the show hoarders. Not quite as bad, but still sick. I hoard to a degree like my father. Things long forgotten and of no use. And things/stuff that could very well have use in the future. It's difficult for me to throw away that 6" piece of heater hose after replacing it on the truck. You all that tinker know what I mean. Fourteen varying sized pieces of heater hose is a problem...Unless you use the stuff regularly. I'm not that bad. I probably have four pieces under the bench.

I only "hoard" fishing, hunting, and outdoor gear. Most has sentimental value and memories attached. Those I have found hard to part with. Some I have handed down to the kids and grandkids. Others I keep thinking I might use some day. I hope and wish.

The sad part for me is not just the change in our fisheries, but the price of getting there. And the crowds. And the changes life brings to make some hobbies no longer possible.

BTW, I still have the first levelwind that I bought. My brother gave me several Penn reels that I used for surf fishing, but the first one that I bought was when I lived in NC. It was an Ambassadeur 3000D direct drive reel that I used for bucketmouth. I sold my 5500C that I also bought while there, but last year I put that 3000D on a rod to use for flatlining kokes on a trip with Argonaut that never happened.

You need to get out fishing, even if it's bluegill in a pond a few miles away...

That's coming up Jim. But I'm not so much of a bluegill guy. This is more my style...

And...

That's not to say if some bull gills were available below the boat I wouldn't partake. Yes sir!

Last Edited:
My grandfather's favorite fish to catch and eat was yellow perch.
A fun place and great setting to fish for yellow perch is out of Rocky Point Resort on Upper Klamath Lake.

My favorite fish to catch and eat is a tie between Spring Chinook and Striped Bass.

I once bought an old 14' fishing boat just for the three tackle boxes of vintage salmon lures. The lures were worth more to me then the boat.
The old blue P14 boat was well know to the Oregon City Springer fishing crowd up near the I-205 bridge and one spring morning a Clackamas County Sheriff running the river patrol boat was cruising by when he got on the speaker horn and called me out of the hog line.
He asked me why I was fishing out of old Bob Fitzgerald's boat. I told him he had passed away and I had bought the boat from his widow.
The next question from him was what happened to all the fishing lures he always kept in the boat, I told him they were with me and I was going through them sorting them out. He then asked me if I had a certain lure on board and after a quick search I handed over a couple to him.
He told me that he had tried for years to get old Bob to sell or trade them to him, as they were his Dads favorite back in the day.

Old P14's and it's sister Seaswirls(13,15 and 16ft) were some of the best boats in their day. My dad had a P14 and I have had both a 13' and a 15' Seaswirl. Built in Canby, OR by Hiway Products.

(edit) I just remembered them being launched off the beach into the ocean at Cape Kiwanda in the late 50's and 60's. My dad's best friend bought a P14 that had been buried in the sand at Cape Kiwanda and finally savalged later. He had it for years. One tough boat.

Last Edited:
My grandfather's favorite fish to catch and eat was yellow perch.
A fun place and great setting to fish for yellow perch is out of Rocky Point Resort on Upper Klamath Lake.

My favorite fish to catch and eat is a tie between Spring Chinook and Striped Bass.

I've never had striper. But spring chinook, if you like salmonid, has to beat anything any where in the world. With the fat content I can't eat as much as I could white meat fish, but, oh, what it does to the mouth and taste buds is orgasmic!

That's definitely more my style too, except I prefer crappie to perch...
Although if the perch were that big I might reconsider.

Crappie are flat, perch are round and much easier to fillet. If I had large crappie available over large perch I'd deal with it. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top