JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Today at the post office there was a parcel sent from my wife's maternal grandfather, who is in advanced age. He is the same gentleman who gave us a Savage 99. Apparently, it was originally from her late paternal grandfather and given to her father. Over the years, it somehow ended up in the possession of the other Grandpa. And he decided to send it over. Anyway, I found it neat-o, so thought I would share it with the NWFA friends.

fish1.jpg

fish2.jpg

fish3.jpg

fish4.jpg

Very cool, looks like an old bamboo, a lot of times those came with two tip sections just in case. The history in family heirlooms like that is priceless.

I would only use that for trout and bluegill, or as decoration. It's a pretty rod, I bet it was used extensively!

It will probably be decoration, but I am going to write up its history as well. :)

Once it is dry enough to get down to the lower shed, I'll also get a picture of the fly rod my grandpa (mom's dad) put together for me and some of his "ugly bugs." He hand tied flies until he could no longer see. Grandpa kept saying that his flies were so ugly, the fish couldn't tell the difference between them and the real thing.

It will probably be decoration, but I am going to write up its history as well. :)

Once it is dry enough to get down to the lower shed, I'll also get a picture of the fly rod my grandpa (mom's dad) put together for me and some of his "ugly bugs." He hand tied flies until he could no longer see. Grandpa kept saying that his flies were so ugly, the fish couldn't tell the difference between them and the real thing.
There are two types of flies, those that catch fish and those that catch fishermen... seems your grandpa tied those that catch fish! :)

Sounds neat-o. Looking forward to the family history. :)

If you should wish, I will bring it up from the lower shed. As it is a morass down there right now, I understand why you and the little humanoids would not venture into that area.:s0112:

There are two types of flies, those that catch fish and those that catch fishermen... seems your grandpa tied those that catch fish! :)

Well, anytime we were out, according to Grandpa, all the fish were caught with "his flies." :rolleyes:

If you should wish, I will bring it up from the lower shed. As it is a morass down there right now, I understand why you and the little humanoids would not venture into that area.:s0112:

Well, it is only ankle deep for you. Whereas for me :oops:

Love it!
...especially the wood case... to me that's even cooler than the rod itself! "they don't make em like they used to" may be cliche, but when the packaging is made as carefully as the treasures inside, you know it was done by a true craftsman that took pride in his trade.
my gramps had a similar old bamboo flyrod up in the attic that I used to sneak a peak at when I was a kid. It was built for him long ago as payment from a man they boarded for a time way back when... It was too "fancy" for him and he never used it. I'm not sure where it ended up. His was just kept in simple velvet sleeve that the guy sewed to hold each section, and you just rolled it up and tied it off.
Grandma I think trusted some of my family to actually keep and take care of things more than she should have... I cringe at the thought of much of it ending up in a pawn shop or on eBay, but I might a bit too sentimental about things like that.

I believe what you have there is a Japanese WW2 era split bamboo flyrod... Interseting piece of history! Any makers mark on the main section?

I'm assuming DJH are gramps initials?

I believe what you have there is a Japanese WW2 era split bamboo flyrod... Interseting piece of history! Any makers mark on the main section?

Very interesting. :)

I'm not see much in the way of markings. There is a faded and torn decal that appears to be of a turtle. It was hard getting a good picture.

psL06mW.jpg

I'm assuming DJH are gramps initials?

Actually those would be the initials of my father-in-law (@TeacherSmurf's dad).

I still have a 9' bamboo fly rod with spare tip I bought as a 10 year old from goodwill for probably a dollar to two. It was appraised at 850.00 10 years ago. I used it in my late teens while teaching a fly fishing course at the city park department. Wonderful stuff. I think mine is an Orvis, now I have to go dig it out and see. Yours looks magnificent. That type hook keeper was only used on better quality rods.

If we're guessing brands, i'm going with Shakespeare, probably from the 30's or late 40's. I don't think many fly rods were made 39-45...

On the really fine fly rods the Second Tip wasn't the "Same" as the First. Unless the Rod is made for a particular individual the "Other Tip" section is for a person who is Left Handed. As with most things, Fly Rods are made for the Right Handed members of the population.

That one Does need some TLC which means some of the right type of oil and maybe more. A lot of them actually came from Korea.:):):)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top