JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good luck seeing this answer.

It's most likely a liability decision to list an expiration date on life saving equipment. What could possibly change in any ceramic compound without use or exposure to the elements?
The binder or the way the atoms are bound? Given enough time and man's folly..

The binder or the way the atoms are bound? Given enough time and man's folly..
The ceramic figure " venus of volni destonice " is thought to be 25000 years old.
It's got some big naturals too.

Screen_Shot_2020-08-23_at_2.07.52_PM.png

Good luck seeing this answer.

It's most likely a liability decision to list an expiration date on life saving equipment. What could possibly change in any ceramic compound without use or exposure to the elements?
Agreed. If you read between the lines it's a combination of companies covering themselves for liability, and wanting to sell more armor more often. I'm sure there are issues if you wear it every day, expose it to elements and sweat, etc. These are composites of ceramics and other materials. But stored away ceramic plates should have a VERY long lifetime.

Agreed. If you read between the lines it's a combination of companies covering themselves for liability, and wanting to sell more armor more often. I'm sure there are issues if you wear it every day, expose it to elements and sweat, etc. These are composites of ceramics and other materials. But stored away ceramic plates should have a VERY long lifetime.

That article doesn't say any of that, in fact the opposite.

Ahhh here we go again. According to the NIJ standards, body armor must have a warranty period, in order for police departments and DOJ/Federal Justice agencies to be able to ensure consistent quality. On the NIJ certified product list, you will not see "expiration dates" but you will see warranty lengths.

This means the armor is warranted for 5 to 10 years.. usually the warranty means simply "free of defects and quality issues".

Aramid/kevlar/soft armor do indeed degrade over time, depending on how often its been worn, how much heat its subject to, and how much UV its been exposed to. But there are plenty of tests where old Level 2 and 3A kevlar armor seem to perform the same as new.

The biggest enemy of soft armor is UV and sweat.

For hard armor? The biggest issue is cracking and improper storage.

Heres a story I've oft seen repeated on Reddit and other places...

The military X-rays the hard plates, and they'll stamp new inspection dates on them if they pass. That is why one could be issued SAPI plates dating from 2001, or Ranger Body Armor plates and carriers from 1989, and why you sometimes see old PASGT vests and helmets worn during Operations Iraqi freedom in conjunction with ACUs and LBVs.

If ceramic armor somehow degrades just from normal storage conditions, then there's no real reason the military would X-ray and inspect plates and reissue them if they're free of cracks and damage...

I have multiple OIF 1- present ESAPI plates that still pass the x-ray test yearly. My oldest plate (Ceradyne 11-2002) was "sacrificed" two months ago. It stopped multiple 30.06 API. So if never dropped, left sitting in the sun for years, and or abused....you should be fine. Treat them like your life depends on them. I was told long ago in the Army.

I have multiple OIF 1- present ESAPI plates that still pass the x-ray test yearly. My oldest plate (Ceradyne 11-2002) was "sacrificed" two months ago. It stopped multiple 30.06 API. So if never dropped, left sitting in the sun for years, and or abused....you should be fine. Treat them like your life depends on them. I was told long ago in the Army.
They don't issue you new plates? Just x-ray old ones despite expiration date?

A tiny portion of a %. Would you take expired percocet? Ok then. Put your armor on
G2G
Completely different things.
Ceramic armor does not degrade if properly stored.
This means out of UV exposure (more for the fabric covering); out of extreme heat or cold cycles; as in over 150+ degrees F or 70 below 0 F.

You don't store armor in an oven, nor a freezer. You simply store them at room temp, without any serious weight on tjem or dropped on them. NIH 06 requires a drop test onto concrete before testing to pass. Thats why newer plates have more foam on them. Older 04/05 certified plates didnt have drop test.

The warranty period is limited because of liability, and is not meant to be taken the same way as a "best by/before" date.

Only one armor type do degrade over time, and thats soft armor, dependent on conditions. Salt water and uv and heat tends to degrade soft armor over time.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top