JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have made no secret that I prefer revolvers over semi-auto pistols. I must admit that I have been suckered into semi-autos lately just because they seem to offer advantages for CC. They are thinner and usually hold more rounds. Still, I have really been considering going back to revolvers for CC. Specifically my new .38spl Colt Detective Special SF-VI (pictured below).

I think the Colt is a great EDC for me. I feel comfortable with the .38spl caliber. I think it is powerful enough for SD and I am comfortable with six rounds. The Colt is a six round gun compared to the five round S&W snubbies and that extra round means a lot to me for some odd reason. Six rounds just makes me so much more comfortable than five. I also shoot revolvers better than I shoot semi-autos. At least I think I do.

The only real issue is overcoming that feeling of being a dinosaur for carrying a six shot revolver. It certainly does not have the same cool factor as carrying some high tech wonder gun. I also wonder if it would have the same intimidation factor if I ever had to brandish it. Let's face it. Often pulling a gun is enough to end a threat without firing it. Would a small revolver appear less threatening to a modern bad guy? Would they be less likely to turn tail and flee from grampa and his archaic six gun than they would someone pointing a more modern gun at them?

ColtSF-VI.jpg

I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 2" Barrel Blued with rubber grips exposed hammer 5rds of .44spl. And with a bore they can stick their thumb in I have never worried if it would be intimidating enough. If I pull the trigger at the VERY least they will be DEAF. And if at night possibly Blind from the muzzle flash. I know there is some possible way a revolver could jam but in carrying this one for 20 years I haven't found it yet. And I can't bring myself to carry an auto with a round in the chamber so the revolver is faster and single handed. I also carry 2 speedloaders and know how to use them even with my eyes closed so I personally don't worry about 5 rds.

while i am a fan of both semi autos and wheel guns, to me nothing says business like a revolver. dont know why... maybe it was dirty hairy, sledge hammer or some other media induced infatuation as an impressionable kid...

most days i carry an auto... but there is a strong sense of security with a .357 mag jabbing me in the ribs when i carry one. spent the day with a 4" Ruger .357 mag.

while i am a fan of both semi autos and wheel guns, to me nothing says business like a revolver. dont know why... maybe it was dirty hairy, sledge hammer or some other media induced infatuation as an impressionable kid...

most days i carry an auto... but there is a strong sense of security with a .357 mag jabbing me in the ribs when i carry one. spent the day with a 4" Ruger .357 mag.

I only have one issue with .357mag guns for CC. Next time you are at the range find the most enclosed space you can and shoot your .357mag without hearing protection. Then see how much it affects you senses and ability to react afterwards.

I'm under 30 and carry a J frame that came out of the factory the same month I did.
Does that make me a dinosaur also? :s0092:

I have a few semi auto's that I carry on occasion as well. Though somehow I always go back to this little bugger.

...and my old cell phone picture makes another appearance.

My Dad loved his 1911, but he ALWAYS carried a wheelgun.

I love my wheelsguns, but Ive always carried a 1911.

His theory was a 1911 never FTF, FTE or gives you any bullcrap. Its BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG.

My old man was a smart guy.

If I could find a holster and way of concealing it that was more comfortable than the ones I've tried, I'd be carrying a J-frame S&W because I consider them to be the most perfect CCW of all time. Unfortunately, I just carry a keltec .32 instead, because it's light and small enough to carry in my cargo pocket, and a J-frame isn't. There's not many things as reliable and idiot proof as a DA revolver though, and I seem to shoot revolvers much better than pistols.

I think revolvers have more "intimidation factor" than pistols too, as they're easily recognizable, and being able to see the bullets in the cylinder when it's pointed at you probably helps.

To someone not familiar with guns, a lot of the new CCW pistols probably just look like toys.

I only have one issue with .357mag guns for CC. Next time you are at the range find the most enclosed space you can and shoot your .357mag without hearing protection. Then see how much it affects you senses and ability to react afterwards.

I would think if you were in a stressfull situation the adrenalen (SP?) would act similar as it does when hunting. I can hear perfectly fine after touching off a 45/70 load similar to Buffalo Bore 400gr and my 338 and still have the same reaction time to get a second shot if necessary or see another deer reacting to the shot. I would however not shoot these or anything other than a .22 rifle without hearing protection of some sort if just out shooting for practice or plinking.

I would think if you were in a stressfull situation the adrenalen (SP?) would act similar as it does when hunting. I can hear perfectly fine after touching off a 45/70 load similar to Buffalo Bore 400gr and my 338 and still have the same reaction time to get a second shot if necessary or see another deer reacting to the shot. I would however not shoot these or anything other than a .22 rifle without hearing protection of some sort if just out shooting for practice or plinking.

Based on my own personal experience, adrenaline does help with overcoming stress and even pain...but it does little to counter blindness or deafness. I have had the misfortune of discharging a magnum caliber handgun under extreme stress at night and found myself blinded and deafened for what seemed like an eternity at the time. It is not a feeling I wish to repeat.

My feeling is that the best CCW is the one you feel most comfortable with and suits your lifestyle best. Magazine capacity is not as important as being able to put the first rounds on target, so whether you have a wheel gun or a auto is perhaps moot. I carry autos because I learned to shoot them and have little experience with revolvers. Go with what you know.

I think the Colt is a great EDC for me. I feel comfortable with the .38spl caliber. I think it is powerful enough for SD and I am comfortable with six rounds.
The only real issue is overcoming that feeling of being a dinosaur for carrying a six shot revolver. It certainly does not have the same cool factor as carrying some high tech wonder gun.

When did what others think ever matter when a fairly experienced person is picking a carry gun, let alone the opinion of the person who it may be used against?
Do you need approval for everything you do and wear?:huh:
Get a good holster, maybe a speed strip or two if you feel the need and carry the flippin' Colt already. I would carry that gun with no reservations.

i've fired one off indoors, without hearing protection, in a high stress situation. 4 shots. other than hearing; ability to react was not exactly hindered. my ears did ring for hours, starting a good half hour later, though.

that being said, i've unloaded a couple mags in a 9mm in a similar area. notable difference in sound.

.357magnums are f'ing loud.

I carry a 1911, but have gone to a revolver for my nightstand gun. If I wake up to an intruder in the house and am still a little groggy I want something I don't have to think about. Just pull the trigger. This could of course apply to a striker fired semi auto as well, but I don't have one of those.

Regarding the intimidation factor: over the years I have read several opinions of professional coppers that most badguys are intimidated more by chromed guns, for some unknown reason, possibly because they are more expensive and likelier to be higher quality. I doubt that they even notice the bore size. Aiming at their crotch gets their full attention AND allows you to see what their hands are up to!

Regarding the revolver capacity: I too feel much better with six shots than with five! And a revolver gives no worries about feeding or jamming.

Regarding carry: I favor the Uncle Mike's Combat Grip. Its a slender curved rubber banana that hooks over the belt and allows stable carry without a holster---plus it feels great to hold when shooting! I carried a three-inch six-shooter that way for years under a light jacket, and will again.

Granted, most modern semi-auto pistols are perfectly reliable with a practiced loading. But I still feel MORE secure with a foolproof revolver......................elsullo

Based on my own personal experience, adrenaline does help with overcoming stress and even pain...but it does little to counter blindness or deafness. I have had the misfortune of discharging a magnum caliber handgun under extreme stress at night and found myself blinded and deafened for what seemed like an eternity at the time. It is not a feeling I wish to repeat.

I need to take my .357 out at night again sometime. It's been a while. I don't remember any significant blindness afterwards but it's been a while and hey shooting is always fun... As for the sound, I know that a .357 is loud but I wonder how many people that think a .357 indoors is too loud recommend a 12 gauge for home defense? (not saying that you do PP)

I carry a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug 2" Barrel Blued with rubber grips exposed hammer 5rds of .44spl. And with a bore they can stick their thumb in I have never worried if it would be intimidating enough. If I pull the trigger at the VERY least they will be DEAF. And if at night possibly Blind from the muzzle flash. I know there is some possible way a revolver could jam but in carrying this one for 20 years I haven't found it yet. And I can't bring myself to carry an auto with a round in the chamber so the revolver is faster and single handed. I also carry 2 speedloaders and know how to use them even with my eyes closed so I personally don't worry about 5 rds.

Here! Here!!! Touché!!! :beer:

I carry that too. Big punch and minimal chance of collateral damage.

How ever, I have grown partial to my Glock 30.

I use to be very happy with just my Ruger Super Black Hawk. But times do change.

Not sure if size really matters here. The bad guy sees gun...dont really think the size registers.....it wouldn't to me. Just about any bullet at close range is bad news on flesh....

Humm. I do respect your opinion. You are the one who needs to feel comfortable and confident in the choice you make. No argument.

I guess life gives us different experiences over time. 9mm's and 38's are out for me. I've seen to much crap, and some of it comes in a large size induced with drugs. Got's ta knock em down.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top