JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Click this link:
LMGTFY

You can do this yourself, I have confidence in you. :s0155::s0155:
Some people don't have the tools or time to do stuff like this, also some aren't comfortable cutting into new cars. And don't forget some people have physical limitations that precludes them from performing tasks that others find easy and routine.

Last Edited:
I have zero tools, or the garage to do this install.
Like a lot of things in this World, sometimes it is better to have a job done by a Professional. Especially if you don't have the tools and knowledge. Even a CB NEEDS to be properly installed to get the maximum performance. Just a few inches can make a World of difference. I don't blame you for looking for someone who really knows what they are doing. :):):)

Oh yeah, I spent 10 years as the Communications Director for a Major Search and Rescue organization.

, I spent 10 years as the Communications Director for a Major Search and Rescue organization.

I'd appreciate your brief summary of what if any, CB installation these days is worth the effort. Every 15 or 20 years I got the bug & do an install. The resulting multi-layered wonderland of what largely seems the dregs of those who can't actually make it down to their WalMartian Social Hour. And there's always some trucker guy with the same curious inflections from the back roads of Atchafalaya Swamp that wants everyone to know his attitude.

I started CB with 102" bumper mount on my road beast in the old Search & Rescue days. CB still seems like a good idea. I just don't know anyone personally that actually uses them. But I do like having the option if I needed one.

ETA: better yet, I'm thinking 'basic radio' gear that is worth the effort.

Last Edited:
Some people don't have the tools or time to do stuff like this, also some aren't comfortable cutting into new cars. And don't forget some people have physical limitations that precludes them from performing tasks that others find easy and routine.

Since the OP did not indicate any such limitations, I simply tried to give words of encouragement. Since the OP has since stated they have no tools and no place to do the work ..... I apologize if I offended anyone.

It's for safety reason, I do a lot of driving back and forth to work up in Washington. Also a lot or the dirt roads that I go hunting and shooting on have logging trucks running on CB Radios.

I'd appreciate your brief summary of what if any, CB installation these days is worth the effort. Every 15 or 20 years I got the bug & do an install. The resulting multi-layered wonderland of what largely seems the dregs of those who can't actually make it down to their WalMartian Social Hour. And there's always some trucker guy with the same curious inflections from the back roads of Atchafalaya Swamp that wants everyone to know his attitude.

I started CB with 102" bumper mount on my road beast in the old Search & Rescue days. CB still seems like a good idea. I just don't know anyone personally that actually uses them. But I do like having the option if I needed one.

ETA: better yet, I'm thinking 'basic radio' gear that is worth the effort.
CB is a good back up. GMRS is also good along with ham. Both of those require a license. GMRS license can be had online with out any testing, unlike ham. CB requires no license.
I have all three set ups, for different reasons. All have advantages and disadvantages compared to the others.
But there's nothing wrong with starting out with CB. Sometimes, I think it's the most fun out of all the choices.

CB is a good back up. GMRS is also good along with ham. Both of those require a license. GMRS license can be had online with out any testing, unlike ham. CB requires no license.
I have all three set ups, for different reasons. All have advantages and disadvantages compared to the others.
But there's nothing wrong with starting out with CB. Sometimes, I think it's the most fun out of all the choices.
What CB Radio do you recommend, and who did the install?

What CB Radio do you recommend, and who did the install?

Depends how much you want to spend. Cobra has been around for a long time and they are dependable. Also check out Ranger and President. Before you buy, check some of the reviews and forums online. It will give you an idea of what the radios can do, what antennas work the best, etc. I tend like Cobra and Midland. My antenna is a K40 signal kicker, it's similar to a Wilson1000. Some people like the full 102" whips. Depends on your vehicle though.
I do my own installation.

The Cobra brand of CBs have been provided great performance for many years. I'm not currently doing CB and don't live in your area so don't have anyone to recommend.

CBs have gotten a bad rap that they don't really deserve. Most Complain of poor performance but poor performance is usually due to poor Antenna placement. Yep, lots of folks will install a bumper mount and then complain. And, yes, it can be tough to explain to the Bride that you want to put a hole in the middle of the roof of your car/truck/van or whatever. But a center mounted Antenna is really the best.

I'm sure there is a high quality radio shop somewhere that will do a good job for you. Lots of truckers are still using them and a Truck Stop is likely to have a service center. I'd suggest you look at one of them as a starting point. Also, many marinas use CB because it is available and many fisherman like CB because of the lack of restrictions. A marina wouldn't be a bad place to check either. Good Luck.

I have had good results with the Cobra line for mobiles. For the base stations, I have really liked the Cherokee rigs. The wife has a small Midland in her vehicle that has worked for well over a decade. A vendor that has been, generally, good for us over the years is Walcott Radio. Hope that helps. :)

P.S. Plus one on the GMRS idea. I have a ham ticket, but the wife does not. The GMRS license has allowed us to setup communications on said because it covers the household, and it opens up a lot more options than Citizen Band.

log truck drivers still use CB radios when they are bringing loads of logs out of the woods. Some logging roads are posted with signs that the logging companies put up designating what CB channel is being utilized on the road. Its nice to know when i am going up a logging road, that a 80,000 LB. logging truck is coming down at the same time, and gives me a chance to get out of the way.;)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top