JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Chamfering, that's the process of removing excess material inside a cartridge case mouth that has been trimmed. Deburring is the process of removing excess material that has flashed to the outside edge of the case mouth.

Of course most reloaders already know that rifle cases need to be chamfered even if they haven't been trimmed since their first firing. This is to remove the sharp edge in the case mouth that causes a new bullet to not seat properly. Boat tail bullets may not require a chamfered case mouth to start into the case mouth but the full diameter section of the bullet is still subject to scratching.

Once the inside of the case mouth has been chamfered, some bullets will seat without issues. Other times, it might be found that some degree of bullet shaving has occurred while seating the bullet. Even it it's a tiny amount of minute particles of bullet jacket material, like dust. I've never thought this would be a good thing.

Most of the chamfer tools offered for sale have a 45 degree cutting edge, so this is the edge that is imparted to the case mouth. Many flat base bullets will hit this and not like it. The result is shaving of the bullet jacket. Which cannot be seen with the bullet seated, but the dust will be observed, the shavings if you will.

If there are to be issues with bullet shaving using the 45 degree chamfer tool, the solution I've found is the RCBS VLD chamfer tool. The cutting edge on it is 22 degree, which gives the bullet a much friendlier angle to seat by. Here are the two types to compare:

PB090029.JPG

The upper tool is the typical "rocket ship" RCBS tool with the 45 degree cutting edges. The lower one is the RCBS VLD chamfer tool. This is the hand version; the chamfer tool on the Trim Mate or whatever the motorized set is called comes with one of these.

I had the VLD tool without knowing what it was called. I had to look that up, it stands for Very Low Drag. RCBS description.

"The RCBS Chamfer and Deburring tool for VLD style bullets is ideal for cutting a 22 degree chamfer in the case mouth to help ensure VLD bullets are seated into the case without any damage. This tool can be used by itself or with the accessory handle or it can be mounted on the Trim Mate Case Prep Center (both sold separately). "

But I can't see how damaging a bullet while seating it can be beneficial for any bullet, not just VLD bullets. Even with a bullet having the sharpest flat base edges, they seat smoothly using the 22 degree chamfer tool. Lyman also makes one, but most of the remainder of such tools sold have a 45 degree cutting edge.

The 22 degree tool is the one I use mainly on my Lyman prep center and I believe the Giraud is also set up with a VLD angle as well.

The Lee chamfer tool works good because the case is already chucked up after trimming with the peerless Lee case trimmer and still spinning at warp drill speed.
Lee is best! lolz

The 22 degrees definitely makes a difference in how easily the bullet seats. I don't have one of the gadgets that has all the turning tools going at once. I use the "Worlds Cheapest Trimmer" first, then deburr with one of the "rocket ships," then chamfer with the VLD. I use a bench top drill press and do them in batches. There are holders made for chucking deburr/chamfer tools into drills.

I'm not married to the RCBS brand, that's just how things turned out with these over the years. At one time, the RCBS "rocket ships" were made in Cashmere, Wash. by Wilson. The only difference being the RCBS cost a little more and had their name (as well as Wilson's) on them. The newer ones have a kind of black oxide finish on them and I suspect they are made in China. My RCBS VLD has a black finish, don't know the vintage because it came as part of a bid lot with some other stuff. But I'm glad it was there.

The little "rocket ships" have never been what I'd call cheap. The one in the picture above I've had since the early 1980's, the price on it says $10-something. But now they cost mid- $20 or so.

Somewhere or other, I have a Lee deburr/chamfer tool but I never liked using it; it was more awkward to use by hand and now wouldn't be adaptable to to my use of motorization. But they are quite inexpensive.

As it happens, the latest Handloader magazine arrived in the mail just today and there is an article in it about avoiding the "ring" in the bullet nose sometimes imparted by the seater plug. The author mentioned the VLD 22 degree chamfer as a means of reducing this likelihood. Because the extra force required to overcome the 45 degree chamfer in turn causes extra force to be placed on the nose area of the bullet.

The author used a phrase that I thought was appropriate. Something like, anything that occurs to the bullet other than smooth, faultless seating cannot have a positive effect on accuracy.

also helps if you have a Q-tip with non-petroleum based lube zip tied on your press to ring the case mouth with lube when seating bullet.

This of course works great with boat tail bullets and helps a lot with flat base.

there is this @ 22 degrees as a tool specific.
1605119875998.png
But frankly I have a tool similar to this in my shop that works for everything from brass cases to plastics and oil drums and have worn out several blades over fifty years. A mighty handy thing for avid workshop a holics.
1605119847306.png

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR