JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think the officer is allowed to ask if you have weapons on-board. If you have his badge number, you may be able to "write him a ticket" by contacting Sheriff Crabtree. YC has a robust citizen complaint program and you will get the answer to your inquiry.

Check with a lawyer or a HG instructor, but I am told by a former/prominent lawyer that asking what you have in your vehicle violates the 4th amendment (Illegal search).

Those of us that know what to do; place both hands on the steering wheel at the 11 O-clock position, and ask the officer if there "is anything we can do to make him/her feel safer";

I myself would tell the officer that I want to speak to his supervisor (on the spot) because they are not allowed to ask me that question.

As other people mentioned, I don't believe the knife you described is Illegal.

On the contrary, the officer is free to ask anything he wants. You are free to answer or not as you see fit. There is no REQUIREMENT for you to answer him.

However, if you do answer him, it better be the truth because there ARE laws against lying to the police.

Thank you for the reply, you are correct, but I believe that they cannot just randomly ask (with the expectation that I would answer them or that I won't demand to speak to the supervisor).

When the State Police (game wardens) ask if they can look around, I say sure and offer them a soda, but that is only when they are polite/cordial about it.

The LEOs work for us, not the other way around.

Look at where we are; this isn't a place like Mexico or Italy where an LEO can stretch their authority without an informed citizen putting them in their place (and risk a little inconvenience).

LEOs and me are on the same side; they should expect that I am going to follow the law; and some obviously haven't liked that.

Remember when the Portland woman challenged a ticket given to her in a BOGUS safety corridor, hummmm? Portland had been taking illegal money for years; as far as I am concerned, "heads should have rolled". All those citizens were refunded the money because of ONE brave woman.

There is obviously a lot of discussion on what breaks the plain on "illegal" search; that is why it is a good thing to post these comments IMO.
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/121270-question-about-legally-carrying-oregon.html

Thank you for the reply, you are correct, but I believe that they cannot just randomly ask (with the expectation that I would answer them or that I won't demand to speak to the supervisor).

A Police Officer can ask you pretty much anything that they want to. They can also use deception to get you to comply with a request even if you are not legally obligated to do so.

You got be careful about the locals not knowing laws.
Not to long ago a guy was going hunting walking down a main street here. There is a school two blocks over from where he was.
He had a 30-06 strapped to his back and they cops pulled up and said he was breaking the laws because he was open carrying within a school zone ? WHAAAAAA? The guy with the rifle actually complied and handed over his gun . The Roseburg PD took his rifle and told him he could pick it up later that day after they processed his gun.

There are no such laws here everything was fabricated.

It pays to know the laws when it comes to any weapon, if the locals had done this to me. The simple words please call your supervisor before I consider suing you for violating my Oregon and USA constitutional rights.

They violated his right to open carry, ceased his weapon without probably cause.
And I am sure a few more.

Remember cops are not lawyers, and they can legally lie and say what ever they want.
It is all part of their job. You will notice when ever a cop asks you something and does not order you something think about the request VS order. If they are asking you something, it is just that a request. They asked this guy if they could take his gun and he let them, with trickery but none the less did it.

The local LEs here are scared of gun owners, not the Sheriffs or other towns, but Roseburg PD are over the top paranoid about anyone having a gun period. Even though no laws prevent any gun usage. They have many hot shot super cops who think this is LA or Portland. Luckily I do not live in the town. PS they have some really good cops too. But shadowed by the Dirty Harrys around there.

I'm not terribly fond of Roseburg, myself. I never did go there much but enough to know there was kind of a weird vibe from LE. Had to do a child support thing years ago, up there because of a conflict of interest, and the DA's office was horrid.

Now, I have hunted all around the backwoods up there, and that was always worthwhile.

But then again, Medford and Grants pass aren't much better. Small town power trips.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top