JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Best way to cook meat outdoors

• Total voters
Reactions
So here is the question posed.

What is your favorite method of cooking meat, pics are a plus and reasoning behind your decision.

I've had a Traeger for years, but lately I find myself using the weber to smoke / grill meats over lump charcoal. I'm toying with the idea of a big green egg or the likes to add to the backyard arsenal :eek:

So let's get it HOT in here and let the comments fly :D

If it's a food thread, then I'm in!!! Lol
I find the methods are more about the meat and the place I am at, then any thing else. For Deer or Elk camp, it's right over the open fire with a couple of hickory chunks tossed in the coals and a frying pan full of fresh eggs and taters with extra butter along side, and a Dutch oven with some sort of cobbler Or Dutch babies.
At home we tend to run the smoker shack a lot, so what ever we might be cooking will usually spend some meaningful time in there getting the proper treatment before final cooking. We usually put blocks or rounds of good cheese in there and were not above a few baskets of veggies too. :):):)

I have a stone fireplace with a grill on the side. I like to use dried wood from my orchard. Don't know if it's best but cooked shrimp and rib steaks for my wife and myself last night. No complaints. Takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to get the grill ready to cook. You want embers and no flame but plenty of heat.

I dont have the patience to sit there all day to cook something. I go out and fish or hunt or shoot and then just fire up the gas grill and burn up my food real quick.

AND.....I'm known to bring a propane stove, some cooking oil, and a fryer along with me when I am fishing for walleyes. Catch a few, filet them up, and toss them through some pre-made spice/batter mix. Fry them golden brown and serve with fries and/or slaw.

I believe the absolute best is the offset, but they have their limitations, and are time intensive.
You don't just fire one up and slam out a batch of burgers for instance.

But the Weber Kettle is easily the most versatile and simplest, while providing very respectable food when used right.
I've had the same one for over 20 years so they're durable, and when it needs to be replaced I'll grab another one just like it.

Bought a used medium sized Traeger last spring and I couldn't be happier with it. You almost have to fall asleep with something on the grill to over cook it. And the flavors are to die for. Chicken is a real pleasure to do on it. On the charcoal grill it almost never came out right. Steaks are to die for and Turkeys WOW

I think it's more about grilling vs. BBQ
And if you don't know the difference, you're a griller.

We Americans love to grill because it's quick....10-30 minutes and you're done.
Time to eat.
Low and slow BBQ does not fit the typical American lifestyle.

I bought my first Weber 22.5" kettle when I was a kid.
I piled up briquettes in the middle and torched them off with petroleum-based lighter fluid.
Then I started flipping burgers and dogs with reckless abandon.
I had no idea on how to utilize the Weber kettle to its fullest extent.

Then about 5 years ago, lights started to come on and I learned hoe to cook " low and slow" on the Weber kettle.
My favorite thing lately has been Low and Slow Tri Tip.....you cook it brisket style only it's done quicker because it's a smaller cut of beef. About a 4-5 hour cook.
A foodie friend of mine is doing one right now for the first time and we're keeping in touch via text.
He has a Traeger and a Weber Performer....the Performer got the call for this cook.
He's using the Snake Method to maintain a long and steady burn.

You really shouldn't let yourself die without dabbling in Low and Slow (real BBQ) type cooking.
When you learn how to do it, it's a life-change.
You cannot get these flavors with grilling......period.

Tri Tip (brisket style) with C&C Rub

C&C Rub

3 TBSP finely ground espresso beans
1 TBSP unsweetened baker's cocoa
1 TBSP coarsely ground black pepper
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp Kosher salt

Keep cooker at 225° - 230°
I've been using cherry smokewood
Also I brush on cooking oil for "glue" so the rub sticks
Haven't been searing
Wrap (double) tightly with heavy foil when you reach 150° internal
Pull when you reach 195° internal, wrap with towel and place in cooler.
Rest for 45 minutes.
3/16" is the perfect slice thickness across the grain (of course).
Onto the slices, ladle on some of the juice that the foil captured and lightly dust with Kosher salt to taste

So you need to be able to monitor cooker temp and internal meat temp to do this the easy way.
I use a Maverick ET-732 which is a two channel remote temp monitor.

It's been taking 4-5 hours to do a large size Tri Tip

I dont have the patience to sit there all day to cook something. I go out and fish or hunt or shoot and then just fire up the gas grill and burn up my food real quick.

AND.....I'm known to bring a propane stove, some cooking oil, and a fryer along with me when I am fishing for walleyes. Catch a few, filet them up, and toss them through some pre-made spice/batter mix. Fry them golden brown and serve with fries and/or slaw.

Cops.... always with the instant gratification, damned adrenaline junkies. :D

I have a big bubblegumming commercial quality gas grill that I bought at Costco about 11 years ago. I use it for steaks, veggies, burgers, and stuff like that. I could cook a brontosaurus on that thing, and feed mass quantities of people from it.

I call it, "Mongo the silverback 'grilla"... the sumbeatch is 4' accross:
IMG_4378.JPG

I also have a Davey Crockett pellet grill/smoker by Green Mountain Grills (Traeger type). It's portable and runs off 12vdc, comes with a plug-transformer for 110vac use, and a 24' cigarette lighter power cord for camping or tailgating.... love it.
IMG_4377.JPG

I've been slow-cooking a beef brisket in it today since 7am... the entire yard smells.... AWESOME.
IMG_4376.JPG

I just got done establishing an in-ground fire-pit that I started this morning (to the smell of cooking brisket!). I'm going to run an underground gas line from the meter to function as a log-lighter so I don't have to fool with kindling, AND/OR just use it as a gas fire pit if I want. I'll be doing some open fire spit-cooking over that bad-boy! There'll be a concrete patio around it, and stack stone facia over the cinder blocks. I may light it off tonight. :D
IMG_4379.JPG

Last Edited:
I think it's more about grilling vs. BBQ
And if you don't know the difference, you're a griller.

We Americans love to grill because it's quick....10-30 minutes and you're done.
Time to eat.
Low and slow BBQ does not fit the typical American lifestyle.

I bought my first Weber 22.5" kettle when I was a kid.
I piled up briquettes in the middle and torched them off with petroleum-based lighter fluid.
Then I started flipping burgers and dogs with reckless abandon.
I had no idea on how to utilize the Weber kettle to its fullest extent.

Then about 5 years ago, lights started to come on and I learned hoe to cook " low and slow" on the Weber kettle.
My favorite thing lately has been Low and Slow Tri Tip.....you cook it brisket style only it's done quicker because it's a smaller cut of beef. About a 4-5 hour cook.
A foodie friend of mine is doing one right now for the first time and we're keeping in touch via text.
He has a Traeger and a Weber Performer....the Performer got the call for this cook.
He's using the Snake Method to maintain a long and steady burn.

You really shouldn't let yourself die without dabbling in Low and Slow (real BBQ) type cooking.
When you learn how to do it, it's a life-change.
You cannot get these flavors with grilling......period.
And that's exactly the kind of thing I meant when I said they're versatile, and make very respectable food when used right.
The only limitation I've found with my Kettle is what will fit under the lid, and cold smoking.
Other than that they offer it all.
Don't get me wrong, I own a smoker too, but it's more of a smoker than a cooker. The Weber can cook almost anything with the right process.

And that's exactly the kind of thing I meant when I said they're versatile, and make very respectable food when used right.
The only limitation I've found with my Kettle is what will fit under the lid, and cold smoking.
Other than that they offer it all.
Don't get me wrong, I own a smoker too, but it's more of a smoker than a cooker. The Weber can cook almost anything with the right process.
If you need more volume you can...

1) Do a second tier with an 18.5" grate

2) Cajun Bandit

3) Weber WSM

Cops.... always with the instant gratification, damned adrenaline junkies. :D

I have a big bubblegumming commercial quality gas grill that I bought at Costco about 11 years ago. I use it for steaks, veggies, burgers, and stuff like that. I could cook a brontosaurus on that thing, and feed mass quantities of people from it.

I call it, "Mongo the silverback 'grilla"... the sumbeatch is 4' accross:
View attachment 375618

I also have a Dave's Crockett pellet grill/smoker by Green Mountain Grills (Traeger type). It's portable and runs off 12vdc, comes with a plug-transformer for 110vac use, and a 24' cigarette lighter power cord for camping or tailgating.... love it.
View attachment 375617

I've been slow-cooking a beef brisket in it today since 7am... the entire yard smells.... AWESOME.
View attachment 375616

I just got done establishing an in-ground fire-pit that I started this morning (to the smell of cooking brisket!). I'm going to run an underground gas line from the meter to function as a log-lighter so I don't have to fool with kindling, AND/OR just use it as a gas fire pit if I want. I'll be doing some open fire spit-cooking over that bad-boy! They're be a concrete patio around it, and stack stone facia over the cinder blocks. I may light it off tonight. :D
View attachment 375619
Dood...you are seriously brain-damaged.

:D

Brisket looks great !
Specs ?

I have two devices..

A Cabelas (Mastercraft rebadged) vertical water smoker that I can use gas or lump charcoal with. With this I'll grill, smoke etc. can do it all just monitor temp and add fuel as needed.

I recently purchased a mastercraft electric smoker. I wanted the ability to go lower in temp than the 220* in the VWS.
I ran 175° constant for an hour for this steak with hickory chips:
IMG_3494.JPG

I also recently made two rounds with homemade bacon using the electric:
86F7216E-31F5-44C8-884E-A7AB5EA9DA37.jpg

It's based on how I want it cooked and that tells me what I cook it on.

Low and slow... electric, with some chips for pure flavor.

Medium and some rustic smoke from charcoal: VWS and lump charcoal.

Brats and dogs...
Grill on VWS using propane.

I'm an equal opportunity cooker.

I have two devices..

A Cabelas (Mastercraft rebadged) vertical water smoker that I can use gas or lump charcoal with. With this I'll grill, smoke etc. can do it all just monitor temp and add fuel as needed.

I recently purchased a mastercraft electric smoker. I wanted the ability to go lower in temp than the 220* in the VWS.
I ran 175° constant for an hour for this steak with hickory chips:
View attachment 375687

I also recently made two rounds with homemade bacon using the electric:
View attachment 375688

It's based on how I want it cooked and that tells me what I cook it on.

Low and slow... electric, with some chips for pure flavor.

Medium and some rustic smoke from charcoal: VWS and lump charcoal.

Brats and dogs...
Grill on VWS using propane.

I'm an equal opportunity cooker.
Mmmmmm looks good I just ate frozen enchiladas FOR DINNER LOL

Dood...you are seriously brain-damaged.

:D

Brisket looks great !
Specs ?

Not much for specs. Just marinaded overnight in some mesquite, garlic, (etc) sauce... don't even remember what brand bottles I pulled off the shelf. Cooked it at 225°F from 7:00am to about 4:30pm until 190°F internal temp. Wrapped in foil for 30 minutes to rest, carved it against the grain in <1/4" strips.... had various sauces for dipping.

You could cut the strips with a fork. The next bag of pellets I get will be mesquite, the stuff I have right now is a bit too mild than what I'm going for, but it was still pretty good. ;)

Oh I forgot to tell everyone that I got to practice my prepping for a few day's lol any the main power line coming into my house had been rubbing on a tree for who knows how long but we got a washer and dryer and when I plugged in the dryer BAMM EVERY THING WENT POW LOL burned the microwave refrigerator coffee pot all the lights and the DVD player we thought it was the fuse box but after a day of searching I found the problem in the big tree in the front yard lol called PSE they came out cut tree and fixed line lol anyway got fridge fixed bought new microwave and coffee pot and we had another DVD player the only thing that survive was the big screen TV had a surge protector on it but we lived for basically two days with no electricity HEHEH

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top