JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be tagging along on a pronghorn hunt later this summer in Eastern Oregon.

I plan on taking my AR to do some varmiting. Never understood if this was a general rule or not during any hunting season, but can I not carry a more than 5 round mag in my rifle or on my person while out there?

If you are hunting antelope then no more then a 5 round mag. If you are hunting Varmits and its allowed in that unit during antelope season then you are allowed as many as you want. But be warned depending on where you are at while antelope hunting your going to see game wardens and OSP. I would not in anyway shape or form be packing a weapon walking along next to the person with an antelope tag.

Read the regs.

On page 30 it says, Semi auto rifles with a capacity greater than five cartriges prohibited. My 700 excepts 10 round mags so I can legally hunt that way, even though I've only ever needed one shot to kill a deer.

I am hearing people say that the Oregon 5 round magazine rule does not apply to Varmit hunting, yet I cannot find that in the regulations. Everything states "not legal for hunting". Varmit hunting is still hunting because you need a hunting license. I don't see where it says what is legal for hunting "Predatory Mammals"?. Anyone know where it specifically says larger magazines are legal for varmit hunting?

I have never seen a state with such conflicting and poorly organized regulations as Oregon. In some cases, they actually contradict themselves.

I am hearing people say that the Oregon 5 round magazine rule does not apply to Varmit hunting, yet I cannot find that in the regulations. Everything states "not legal for hunting". Varmit hunting is still hunting because you need a hunting license. I don't see where it says what is legal for hunting "Predatory Mammals"?. Anyone know where it specifically says larger magazines are legal for varmit hunting?

I have never seen a state with such conflicting and poorly organized regulations as Oregon. In some cases, they actually contradict themselves.

It doesn't specifically say they're legal but there's no restriction. The devil is in the definition of game mammals and unprotected mammals. The magazine restriction is for game mammals on page 30. Coyotes, sage rats, etc. are unprotected mammals because they don't require a tag. Look at Unprotected Mammals on page 12 of the big game regs. The definition is on page 82.

I also wish the regs were simpler.

I guess here is the more important question... I left my hunter safety course about a month ago under the impression given this scenario "walking in woods with a group hunt, you have no tags, loaded rifle on your shoulder" a ranger technically can assume your there to poach at that time fine/confiscate/jail do whatever they deem necessary given the situation and their mood at the time.

Please correct me if I am wrong here or enlighten me.

Second is why would you want to carry a rifle if your not hunting? I don't like to subject my guns to the weather unless I am shooting/hunting. Why carry the weight around all day?

False. You can not legally hunt with a 10 round mag in your M700...

You want to cite a rule to back that up?

Sounds like you are saying that more than 5 rounds in a manually operated gun is a no-no.

100+ years worth of lever action users will be surprised, along with a couple of generations that
use sporterized Enfields.

You want to cite a rule to back that up?

Sounds like you are saying that more than 5 rounds in a manually operated gun is a no-no.

100+ years worth of lever action users will be surprised, along with a couple of generations that
use sporterized Enfields.

i can dig up the citation from a few years back... M700 DM .270 with a 10 round mag... i knew it was wrong but did it anyway, had to pay the piper...

i can dig up the citation from a few years back... M700 DM .270 with a 10 round mag... i knew it was wrong but did it anyway, had to pay the piper...

Every Winchester model 94 in 30-30 holds 7 rounds in the tube. And I they are perfectly legal and have been since 1894 to hunt with in Oregon.

This is a direct cut and paste from ODFW regs :

Centerfire Firearm
•Fully automatic firearms prohibited.

• Semiautomatic rifles with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges prohibited (except for western gray squirrel).

• Military or full-metal jacket bullets in original or altered form prohibited.

• Hunters may use any muzzleloader with any ignition type, except matchlock, any legal sight, any propellant, or any bullet type during centerfire firearm seasons, provided the weapon meets caliber restriction for the species.

NOW hows your reading comprehension? It says SEMI AUTOMATIC it does not say ALL or EVERY or anything that would include a BOLT ACTION, LEVER ACTION, PUMP ACTION, SINGLE SHOT or anything besides a SEMI AUTO.

very true, lever guns oh what about pistols wheel guns hold six shots hmmmm.... guy claim to have paid the piper a cop can issue about anything he wants we must fight for ourselves.

I would be interested to see the citation that says someone got a ticket for mag capacity in a bolt action rifle or anything other than a semi automatic rifle.. either way I would probably skip hunting with your buddy during pronghorn season if you're trying to avoid a confrontation with the state police and/or wardens.

if you're trying to avoid a confrontation with the state police and/or wardens.
Then leave the AR at home. While Oregon no doubt has some poorly written laws I for one would not try to challenge any of them by 'splitting hairs' on any of them. You mentioned varmint hunting while tagging along with your friend. If your plan is to carry your AR while you are with him that would be a bad idea. While technically legal in the broadest interpretation of the law an AR carrying tag a long does not look good at all. This is an issue that seems to get beat to death often but the reality is there is a time and place for everything and regardless of your intent, or what you might think is right or wrong let the AR set this one out. Besides as difficult as hunting Antelope is I would not want any additional shooting in the area.

Mark W. always comes forth with such good info. RVTECH always supplies the stalwart rock. You are tagging along on an a Antelope hunt and want to be perfectly legal. Why on God's green earth would you want to carry in your gun the MAXIMUM allowable ammunition capacity????? You might have a chance at a jackrabbit or coyote. I would guarantee you that you will not get off 5 well-placed shots at those game. Equip your AR with a good 4-round clip as I do on my Montana foray). Believe me: in the field, it does not happen as in video games. ONE SHOT is the hopeful chance. TWO SHOTS at game (particularly varmints or such) is the grace of God.

The very likely scenario as a partner with no tag, is that you will NEVER fire a shot. And THAT is a good partner.

As a partner without a tag for that particular hunt, I would not carry a rifle. Maybe a pistol for emergency use. I would carry a backpack with the extra gear needed if an animal was taken, along with extra water, the lunches, my own pair of binoculars plus the spotting scope. We would both be scanning with our own binoculars as we move about and I would set up the spotting scope when needed and also act as a spotter when any shots were taken. I would help dress the animal and pack it out.

Why else would anyone want to take a partner? Hopefully not because they are uncomfortable in the outdoors alone?

RVTECH always supplies the stalwart rock.
I like to think of it as being pragmatic and practical.
Why else would anyone want to take a partner?
About the only reason would be is if you or a trusted longtime hunting partner did not get a tag and one or the other asks the non-tag partner to come along. Happens often in my circle but the thought of carrying a rifle for the possibility of an impromptu varmint is hardly a consideration as my focus (if I am the non-tagged partner) is to help my friend 'tag out'. Over here (in the East Side) we go varmint hunting frequently, heck I do it on the way home from work sometimes, and can certainly put it off for a weekend or more to concentrate on being the 'White Hunter' for a friend who has a tag.

Another important consideration when deciding whether to carry a gun as a "non-tag" partner:

With big game on the ground, what item becomes a useless awkward sea-anchor that interferes constantly with the task at hand (packing out)?

Answer: Your rifle. An extra one is despised even more.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top