JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I cleaned up a bunch of guns this afternoon. I tried to tear down the Ti-Rant 9 silencer, because it is well beyond the recommended cleaning period. I put many hundreds of rounds through said; 9㎜ Parabelleum (a little), .32 ACP (many hundreds of rounds), .38 Special (a good amount). All were jacketed, per the instruction manual.

According to said, the cap marked in blue should come off by hand, but the one in red with a tool*:

tube.jpg

* This one:
tool.jpg

But I couldn't get either to budge. And I tried hard, but no go. I don't want to screw-up one of the cans, so tossing it out there for options. I plan the messaging AAC tomorrow, though their support has ranged from great to so stupid it was unintentionally hilarious.

Thoughts on resolution? Should I even bother?

Kroil or penetrating lube and let it sit, that's usually enough to help move things along. I have a couple dozen suppressors from numerous vendors, and i'll always hit them with Kroil before I dive into them.

Penetrating oil and a strap wrench.

Might be worth getting one of these too. I've got one for mine and they totally help.

upload_2019-5-21_12-49-34.jpeg

Put the assembly in a boiling hot pot of water with a little "Formula 409" and let it boil for several min and then quickly remove and try to dissemble one end at a time! Use oven mitts to keep from burning and to give extra grip!
Should allow you to get it apart! Note, use anti seize next time! LOL:cool:

Unless you shot a lot of lead round nose through the can or used some sort of thread locker, it's mostly likely just carbon build up. Any number of solvents will help break that free so you can clean the baffle stack further.

If it is lead you may require some additional solvents and/or elbow grease to get that bad boy unstuck.

I finally circled back on this AAC says to soak it in machine oil overnight and try again. I can give that a try.

The suppressor tools look interesting. I will see if they have ones that will work with our cans. :)

I have to admit I haven't had issues getting the caps off, even when tightening them down in a direct thread can I have them inadvertently come loose. I have had issues getting the baffles out though.

As for anti-seize that stuff above looks good. I bought a stick of this stuff and it goes on everything that needs to come undone (AR upper receiver threads, etc). Handy since it's in a lipstick like tube. I think I picked it up at HomeDepot.

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Seize-Copper-Color-8065/dp/B002KLZ0FC/

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads