JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know how to blue stainless steel so it will match a blued scope ring?
I need a blued medium height Ruger offset ring (90276) to move the scope a little rearward on my Ruger #1but I can't find one anywhere. Medium offset stainless are everywhere but blued? No chance.

Leupold and Warne both make extended rings in the Ruger pattern.
Both good makes of rings and I may have to go that route if I can't find what I need. I'm just surprised I can't find one extended Ruger ring anywhere.
Most of the sites I check have none in stock but if you give us your email address we will let you know when we get them in along with a wholly bulls#$% price attached.
I just know I will end up on spam lists if I play along.

I use potassium permanganate to make markings in some of the 17-4 alloy stainless steel tools I have, makes them easy to identify which one to grab.

Here's some info....

I rang Ruger Shop and asked them how long of a wait time there was for the ring I wanted. I was told about 2-4 weeks so I ended up placing an order for the ring I needed.
Thanks for the replies and advice.

Could you just heat blue it? Yellow to brownish to purple to blue depending on amount of heat you use. Pretty easy to make the whole thing blue with little $10 propane torch I'll bet.

OP already found another solution, but I am putting this here for completeness.

You can blue stainless, what is hard is making that match the blueing on another type of steel. This is because the oxide layers are different, and it is those layers that make the color. If you just want something "close enough" knock yourself out, if you want something to match good luck.

OP already found another solution, but I am putting this here for completeness.

You can blue stainless, what is hard is making that match the blueing on another type of steel. This is because the oxide layers are different, and it is those layers that make the color. If you just want something "close enough" knock yourself out, if you want something to match good luck.
I just use a sharpie.

:s0111:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany