JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I need to cut out a trigger and hammer for a cobray/leinad style derringer.

I currently only have a sawzall, jig saw, hack saw, grinder and dremel.

Now Im thinking that I could get some metal cutting blades, rough cut them out with the jig saw. Shape them with the grinder and then finish their shaping with my dremel.

Or I could afford a cheap Chinese bandsaw and find a metal blade for that. I could probably get them closer to their final shape with it. Finished with the dremel.

I could buy a ton of metal cutting blades for the jig saw, as well as a thinner grinder disc, for a lot less. Or pay more for a cheapy chinese band saw.

Any idea which way is better?

Now Im thinking that I could get some metal cutting blades, rough cut them out with the jig saw. Shape them with the grinder and then finish their shaping with my dremel.
Based on what you have this seems the most practical.

I have in the past occasionally made small parts (for guns as well) and if you can get them cut out close you will find a combo of hand files and careful use of your Dremel will remove metal faster than you probably think.

Hand 'whittling' small metal parts is much easier than most think and it is easy to ruin them by moving too fast with power tools so just take it easy, Hand file (or stone) as much as you can and don't get in a hurry. Also if you don't already have one get a rubber 'drum' style bit for your Dremel for the drum sanding disks.

For example I made a trigger for my 1851 Navy repro Colt pistol and from rough cutting it out to final finish was only a few hours.

IMG_2737[1].JPG

Last Edited:
Rough cut with a Sawzall or hacksaw, die grinder (or Dremel) and carbide burrs, hand files then sand. Leave a tail on your work piece, completely out of the final shape, for as long as possible to clamp.

I prefer the downward cutting saw blade teeth on my Bosch jigsaw. It gives you more control while you hold the work piece, instead of pulling the metal upwards with every stroke with the old style blades.

1629782282875.png

Your best bet with tools on hand are the jig saw and the Dremel.
I have a Bosch jig saw and with the correct blades (as mentioned above) they do very well.
Low RPM with cutting oil (or motor oil) or you will burn up your blade in no time.

Rough shape with the Dremel and then fine shape by hand.
Burrs and sanding drums for the Dremel.

Files and sandpaper by hand.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews