JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently moved here to Oregon this summer from Georgia and I am trying my best to understand yalls regulations/ tag system. I have never used the tag and points system before and was curious as to the best way to get a tag and acquire these points. Do you have to pay to apply for a tag? Can you get more than one tag? I didnt hunt this season (a first for me) because the out of state licenses were so expensive. Also a first time user, what would my best bet be to get a tag for deer/elk? Like what unit would I have the best chance at getting a permit? Also, if I were to get a landowners permission to hunt, would I have to have a tag for that particular area or would a regular hunting license suffice? This whole system is just so different from back home where you can walk into a store, buy a license and kill 12 deer (if you wish) virtually anywhere you want/get permission. Or if anybody would like a hunting partner/ deer dragger pm me lol. I love to hunt just about everything. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time!

Since you're in Bend, I figure you'll hunt Eastern Oregon. most units have a number of tags per species. And yes you have to pay to apply for tags that are controlled/draw only units. Which is majority of eastern oregon. Looking at the Regs, you'll have number of tags per unit/species and how many 1st choice applicants. If there were more tags than applicants, that means people who chose that unit as choice #2 might get that tag and so on. When you don't get your first choice you automatically get a point saver for that species, which will help you to get some better tags/units next year.
The more points the better the units and better odds drawing.
75% of the tags are points system, the other 25 % of the tags for that unit are luck. SO, you could draw a unit that needs 16+ points to draw... with 0 points.
I think For majority, we only get one tag per species.
thanks to harsh winter for deer last year, poaching, cougars, the deer hunting is going to be rough.
Good luck getting on private. Either you know a buddy or pay to play. You will need a tag for that unit, or LOP tag (land owner preference)

Last Edited:
Hi,

It's confusing; I've been here since 2001 and still learning :s0001:

If you're no sure where to hunt, you can buy point savers for the same cost as a chance to hunt; build points while you figure things out.

Most-everything on the Left side of the cascades is Over the Counter; but it's a jungle over here:confused:

Look into the SW additional Bear Tag if you like hunting bear.

Picking a hard unit for 1st choice, and taking a tag for other choices doesn't affect points as far as I've heard.

@11-13 years for an antelope rifle tag...go to Wyoming if you wanna hunt them before you are too old to do so.

Send me a PM if you have specific questions...

Good luck

Welcome to Central Oregon!
I see you are getting some good information. Been hunting here nearly all my life and I still have to keep on top of it and roll with the changes. I have not hunted for the last couple years due to some family issues but getting back into the swing of things and still It seems like I am starting over as there are continual changes! One of the upsides to hunting in Oregon is the availability of public land to hunt on. The downside is the competition and number of animals. As previously mentioned our poach take is very high - as much as legal and possibly more according to ODFW stats. This year however most of my friends that hunt tagged out for whatever they had tags for so the opportunity is here. Good luck!

This whole system is just so different from back home where you can walk into a store, buy a license and kill 12 deer (if you wish) virtually anywhere you want/get permission.

Ive heard that in some east coast states the whitetails are so plentiful you really can legally harvest many deer every year, general season. If thats true and what your used to you'll be severely disappointed in hunting here.

don't despair, there is good hunting here but the good tags are hard to get and you only get 1 a year... also, public land hunting is much different animal and much harder to learn. If you don't have access to public land then pick a unit in central or eastern Oregon that has the most public lands and apply for that tag as your 1st choice. If you don't get lucky and draw that tag, you earn a preference point for next time you apply... and you can still hunt the general western Oregon rifle season in the years you don't draw a controlled tag.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top