JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It looks like one factor is how much room there is in the magazine. In order for this to work, after fully loading the magazine, there must be enough room left for the "ghost" shell to partially enter the magazine when you close the breech.

Perhaps other designs don't need that last shell to enter the magazine. One would have to analyze each shotgun, including different magazine configurations.

It looks like one factor is how much room there is in the magazine. In order for this to work, after fully loading the magazine, there must be enough room left for the "ghost" shell to partially enter the magazine when you close the breech.

Perhaps other designs don't need that last shell to enter the magazine. One would have to analyze each shotgun, including different magazine configurations.
And shell overall length. Maybe a mix of 2 3/4 and 3".

And shell overall length. Maybe a mix of 2 3/4 and 3".
There are also 2", 2.25" and 2.5" shells for special applications like older guns with shorter chambers. I know the 2.25" will feed reliably in most pump actions. There are 1.75" also, but they are problematic in everything but the Mossberg 590S or the 590 with an OpSol minishell adaptor. Just one of the shorter ones might well do the trick depending on the magazine length.

So snapping the extractor claw over the rim of a shotgun shell ISN'T bad for the extractor assembly?? I thought this was universally a bad idea ( bolt guns, self loading rifles and pistols)
I have never heard this until the recent slew of viral videos.. on articulating extractors I don't see this being a problem at all. They're meant to move, they're ramped, etc. I've dove into the posters that have been posting these, most seen very new into guns and seem to spend a lot of time fingerbanging their gear in front of the mirror when the wife is out with her boyfriend. I think we would have known/seen a lot of broken extractors over the years it was true. We haven't.

I have never heard this until the recent slew of viral videos.. on articulating extractors I don't see this being a problem at all. They're meant to move, they're ramped, etc. I've dove into the posters that have been posting these, most seen very new into guns and seem to spend a lot of time fingerbanging their gear in front of the mirror when the wife is out with her boyfriend. I think we would have known/seen a lot of broken extractors over the years it was true. We haven't.
Not as common with extractors that have a separate spring like later P35's or Grocks, more of a problem with extractors where the extractor IS the spring such as a 1911.

Edit, don't know where the emojis came from, gone now.

Last Edited:
The extractor on a 1911 is also internally captivated, it doesnt have a free range of motion to spring over the case rim.

Someone mentioned trying with an Ithaca. Probably a joke and I'm missing it.
The model 37 ejects from the loading port at the bottom of the receiver. That's what I thought the joke was, but I laugh at about anything. :)

I have disassembled and cleaned a Remington Model 10, which ejects down also. Lots of levers and stuff. Bit of a challenge to reassemble.

The model 37 ejects from the loading port at the bottom of the receiver. That's what I thought the joke was, but I laugh at about anything. :)

I have disassembled and cleaned a Remington Model 10, which ejects down also. Lots of levers and stuff. Bit of a challenge to reassemble.
If you want a real funny Ithaca 37 joke, try unloading one by holding the bolt release and cycling the shells out manually.

Couple ounces of components heading straight for your pelotas.

To answer the O.P. Question, there are a few Pump and Semi Autos that CAN ghost load, the Remington 870, the Mossberg 500/800/900 series can all be ghost loaded, different folks have different methods, but the idea is mostly the same! For the 870 and Mossy 500, you load your magazine tube first to it's capacity, with the slide all the way to the rear, you insert a shell into the chamber, then you slightly close the bolt and with your finger press down on the loading gate and insert another live shell on top of the gate and close the bolt fully, that's all there is to it, both the 870 and 500 have a slide/bolt disconnect which allows this to be done super easy and QUIETLY, which can be a major advantage! I know some Benelli auto loaders can also ghost load, But I havent ever done it, and I believe the Winchester XS3 can also ghost load, but again, I have never done it! I do know the Remington Auto loaders the, 1100 and 1187 and the new Versa-Max cannot ghost load due to the shell lifter, bolt release button interface, BUT, they can sure speed load quick if you A) have a tube speed loader, or B) you well practiced at doing it by hand! None of the Savage, or Ithica Shotguns I have ever seen could ghost load, and I know the old Winchesters from the 1897 on up through the Mod-12 and 1300 cannot, and I don't believe the Browning's can ether! I believe the Maverick 88 Can be ghost loaded, but I have no experience with it, I do know the Weatherby P-08 Cannot, and I don't believe any of the Berettas can ether!

I've recently kinda noticed what this was. I'm looking at my Charles Daily Turkish import pump and my brain won't let me figure it.

Maybe I'm thinking of semiauto?

What's the worst that can happen?….. still its a live round in the chamber and wanted to bounce the thoughts of this wall. THX
The Charles Daly pump I've seen was patterned off the Rem 870, but was not a clone, so parts are not interchangeable. That is unlike the Norinco 982, which is an 870 clone and can interchange most all parts and accessories. Rem 870s can be ghost loaded so my guess is so should the CD, but there is only one way to find out for sure.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews