JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been contacted by a firm in California about a job outside of Monterey. Looks like a relatively good job in an income range which would pretty much approximate my lifestyle at the income rate I'm at now but the area has a MUCH better school system since my primary reason for looking is to get my kids into a school system that doesnt blow dog like the one they are in now . In any case we are just in the opening stages and I havent decided its something I want for my family yet. Yes. I know Kommifornia, no good guns etc so that is something I have to keep in mind which is why I am weighing all the options early on. Guns take a far back seat to my kids education. This might happen or might not.

So heres the issue. I have a bunch of silencers and several SBR AR's on a trust ( 2 qty 300 BLK and one .223 ) . I have possession of all the items in Oregon. I have a co trustee in Washington. I know I could leave them at the Co trustees residence UNLESS Washington will require a 4473 to transfer them to him although the feds don't care. I know the trust owns them but I'm not sure Washington law is clear on that for NFA purposes. Making it back to Washington isnt something I would likely do often so I'm not excited about that one. Co trustee is my father so there are no "trust" issues other than the trust paperwork .

I could sell them and since my co trustee is in Washington I think I could transfer to a Washington or Oregon resident directly on a Form 4 but then we run into the state laws requiring transfer through a dealer. Once again unless you are 100% certain how the new state transfer laws interact with fed laws for NFA transfer purposes you don't know for sure.

The company I am in discussions with works 4 months out of the year in Yuma and there would be a lot of going back and forth. I could just get a safety deposit box in Yuma and leave the silencers and receivers there and shoot that stuff 4 months out of the year. I have a bunch of other guns that I could occupy my time with in California that is California legal so its not THAT much of an imposition.

Of course just taking them to California is always an option but the thought of going to jail doesnt appeal to me that much if I got caught.

What do you think?

Last Edited:
I say take them with you,there is no way you'll be caught unless you use them in a stupid way.(home defense or at a public range)
If I moved to CA I wouldn't get rid of anything,I would use a CA approved carry weapon and home defense weapon though.

I am not that well informed on NFA matters, but it was my understanding that when you move NFA items like suppressors across state lines that you have to at least let the ATF know?

That said, to me, it sounds like the best solution is to keep the items in Yuma.

No way would I take anything into California that they prohibit. If your concern for your children is paramount, then you would not risk their future by risking the cost of a court case, your job, your future career, possible incarceration, and your ability to support them in the future.

I didn't say taking them there was an option. It's not. Not into Bubba being into me..

FWIW silencers do not require atf approval go move interstate but you have to follow state law. California does not allow them. SBRs do require atf approval if configured as such.

Well I'm not versed on the NFA stuff but knowing how much my son pays for rent and all down in the LA area,there won't be that much extra income.
It always looks great on paper,he tells me how much he makes and then tells me he found a lace to rent for 2k a month.
Nothing is worth moving to California,especially with all the toys you have.
You would be money ahead by sending them a little further from home and staying in Oregon
Sorry I'm prejudice and hate CA.

You could rent a bank safety deposit in Oregon and just leave the suppressors and receivers behind.
Your Dad could hold the keys as a co owner of the box and have access if needed.

Think of California as a drop-dead gorgeouse woman, and she's completely batsh-it crazy!
Even if you've convinced yourself that you could live happily ever after with her.....don't let her force you to sell any of your stuff until you've lived with her for a while, and met the rest of her family.

Last Edited:
The school system is definitely better down there.
As far as NFA stuff goes...I'd say stop listening to everyone and do a whole mess of reading before driving across state lines.

If you're planning on coming back to OR/WA some time soon, store them somewhere and get them when you come back.
If you're going to be there for an extended amount of time, you're better off selling them.

...oh and good luck getting a CCW down there. everyone i know that attempted to apply for one was denied, including me.

The school system is better for what? Turning you children into little democrats?
Then they can come home and tell you how much better dad you are cause you got rid of all those evil guns that might just kill the whole family one night,being assault weapons and all.
I mean they are all AKs and Glocks

Before I moved to Oregon 5 years ago people told me that "you don't want to go there. The schools are terrible". I thought how bad can it be. I found out. We went from one of the highest rated school districts in Washington where my kids had challenging classes with teachers who cared. They got hours of homework every day, went to science fairs and did all the stuff I did when I was a kid. We moved to semi rural Oregon and I found out how bad it could be. Not in the inner city ghetto school kind of bad. More in the "don't bother, your'e not going anywhere" sort of bad. Lowered expectations. The schools flat suck. No homework because they don't have enough books to let the kids take their books home. If the kids play sports they do so during school time because they don't want to pay the teachers OT which hurts the academics but again it doesnt matter . Their college prep classes, if they have any, remind me of middle school course work. Cant put the kids in a better school because there arent any within an hours drive. My fault. I should have researched the area better before committing to the area and the job 5 years ago.

In any case if your kids end up being democrats or being strippers , drug addicts, prostitutes, live in Portland or whatever other failure state in life you can think of it is because you failed as parents and did not teach them right from wrong or you just have dud kids. Happens. I'll take a democrat school that will teach my kids to write an effective paper, master differential equation and build an awesome spreadsheet. They can learn not to be a douche at home.

Not going to California unless I can find a place that will pay me $150K to do whatever it is I do for a living. Otherwise it wouldnt be worth it. I MIGHT go back to Washington which would be alright as I already have several Form 1 SBR's ;) .

Last Edited:
They can learn not to be a douche at home.
Ahh,this is kinda disturbing to me. It's YOUR job to teach them right from wrong ,not the schools job
Not going to California unless I can find a place that will pay me $150K to do whatever it is I do for a living. Otherwise it wouldnt be worth it. I MIGHT go back to Washington which would be alright as I already have several Form 1 SBR's ;) .
And 150k in the monterey area would be a 70k job anywhere else. What would the mortgage be on a regular house in that area? 3-4k a month? Rent would start at 2k a month
Heck 150 k mean you get to live in a neighborhood in LA that there is a good chance your car will still be there in the AM ( I can't spell the other word)

Think of California as a drop-dead gorgeouse woman, and she's completely batsh-it crazy!
Even if you've convinced yourself that you could live happily ever after with her.....don't let her force you to sell any of your stuff until you've lived with her for a while, and met the rest of her family.

She's probably also on welfare, doesn't speak English and will happily vote for the same government over and over again.

Man, California....that chick be crazy ;)

Ahh,this is kinda disturbing to me. It's YOUR job to teach them right from wrong ,not the schools job

And 150k in the monterey area would be a 70k job anywhere else. What would the mortgage be on a regular house in that area? 3-4k a month? Rent would start at 2k a month
Heck 150 k mean you get to live in a neighborhood in LA that there is a good chance your car will still be there in the AM ( I can't spell the other word)

That is what I said. It is YOUR job to teach them NOT to be little dounches. Not the schools.

$150K in monterey is not $70K anywhere else. Consider that a decent house in a decent neighborhood is going to run $600K ish. Not a super place mind you or a mansion but comparable to what I have now in an artificially price inflated area ( Thank you Gorge Commission ) . Mortgage on a $600K house is $3800 Is which comes in at $45,600 most of which will still be deductible for at least 15 years before it gets hammered on amortization. So That still leaves $100K in adjusted gross income prior to getting robbed by the state. CA and OR overall tax burdens are about the same. Knock out another $20K for retirement and I'd be taxed at $80K. Theres $60K cash left after all the major stuff and my wife works too. I could live on that.

In any case the company I was looking at decided to hire locally. Costs $40-50K to relocate someone even from the neighboring state and they didnt want to pull the trigger on that one.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top