JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Most stuff is high but occasionally they have decent deals on ammo. The best part is they price match all local prices in store on same products and quite a few sporting goods retailers online. The discount gift cards is where the big savings are. I never buy anything there without using a discount gift card.

Another great point. Being in Oregon you also already have a 10% discount compared to what I get though so I can see where buying from them using all the strategies you have referenced makes sense.

Just don't carry a balance on it.:)

This. It's the best way to run a credit card. We pay all our credit cards off every month, so it doesn't matter what the APR may be.

For me a credit card is just an alternative for the money I already have in the bank, NOT an additional source of income.

The Missus uses her Alaska Airlines card for just about everything and the points she gets have paid for several trips (to Alaska to visit her brother, and New Mexico to visit our daughter). I use my Cabela's for non-business stuff, and save my points up for whenever I need a good pair of hiking boots (about every two years, I'm pretty hard on 'em).

My points "Black Hole" is Winco.
I like to food shop at Winco (close to my 20) but they only take debit or cash.
I think I need to find a reliable place to buy generic gift cards (with my Cabelas CC) and try using those at Winco ?

Credit cards in general touch a raw nerve deep inside me.

9% is a lower rate than lots of mercenary CC companies charge. Far too many Americans make only minimum payments, coughing up monthly interest - with some rates in the high teens! So, whether it's 9.0 or 18.5-percent, they all want you to pay the smallest monthly amount and carry a hefty ongoing balance. And late fees? You bet!

My aha moment fortunately came last century as an aggressive "born again bachelor" in San Diego. I had run a few shiny new cards up to the point where I was burning three or four $100 bills in interest every month. Poof... gone!

That eventually stung so badly that I decided to live like a pauper for awhile, kill off my balance every month and only pay interest on things that I could simply not live without. I've paid zero credit card interest since 1985-86.

Do I still use credit cards? Hell yes... they're handy! But now all the same toys cost me less, if that makes any sense.

Mrs. Teflon and I are hardly loaded and have no "extra money" (there is no such thing). We simply agree to avoid buying things we cannot afford to go home and pay off today. In return for using plastic (to our benefit instead of paying for the privilege), I get airline miles and free checked baggage on my card, and she gets hotel points that we've used a dozen times over ten years.

So (without paying annual fees/monthly interest to a credit card company), my decision to have/not have a Cabela's credit card would simply boil down to what actual benefits I might get in exchange for paying their frequently inflated prices.

YMMV

credit-card-trap.jpg

Last Edited:
For the minuscule points awards, it's not worth it. A few years back we were heading to Peru to see the wife's family, so I decided to put the airline tickets on the Club Visa, $6K in airline tickets netted me some $76.00 in reward points.

Paid it off when we got home and the Club Visa sits collecting dust in the safe...

Cash is for the "Get off my lawn" crowd.:D

So what does it mean that I pay a guy with Visa to keep people off my lawn?

images.jpg It means that old men, the nemesis of the universe, pay with cash. Paying with cash, I slow down the revolution of the planet. The youngsters in line behind me roll their eyes because I pay cash for much of what I buy. What really slows things down is the youngsters cashiering that don't know how to count money.:s0113:

And what slows things down more, when their purchase is declined, are the youngsters picking thru their wallet to find a card that isn't maxed out.:s0140:

Last Edited:
I did this, bought a item, on the card, then used a zero % cash advance I had.
I got the points, and then paid off the cash advance win win.
Doing this we basically purchased a firearm for free by getting points and paying it off with a zero % offer elsewhere. Check though as applications vary.

I spend $5k a month on my card for work expenses. I looked into a Cabelas card but it's only worth it if you spend tons of money AT Cabelas. Instead I have a card that gives me 3% cash back and I can spend it wherever I want so I'm not limited to Cabelas high prices on guns and reloading supplies.

Another way to improve your credit is use a zero % no fee cash advance.
Use a credit card to buy allot of stuff that is needed, then pay it off when it comes in with the zero advance.
In the last ten years I don't think I ever paid interest on a card except Cabelas when I really wanted something at the time
and ran plastic. But if you do it right, you can basically no spend a dime in interest.

Note: most credit card companies will do zero cash no fees, but its invitational as the more you use the more offers come out.
Chase, Discover , USBank to name a few do this.
I used to do this allot in my business, run a line of interest free at my suppliers, pay the bill with a points credit card and then pay it off with the advance. This allowed us to have months to pay the equipment when bought and never pay interest,.

I spend $5k a month on my card for work expenses. I looked into a Cabelas card but it's only worth it if you spend tons of money AT Cabelas. Instead I have a card that gives me 3% cash back and I can spend it wherever I want so I'm not limited to Cabelas high prices on guns and reloading supplies.

What card pays 3% everywhere?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top