JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking about getting one since I'll be passing thru Eugene tomorrow.Wondering if anyone has signed up for one recently. I looked it up on google and found that it was a 9.9% interest which is way to much for me. I thought maybe they might do a zero % rate when you first sign up. If anyone knows feel free to chime in.Thanks for the help guys.

I have one. No 0% rate and I have a nearly perfect credit score. They don't even do 0% promotional rates or financing on in-store purchases.

Only thing it gets you is some points back in store greater than a normal points back reward credit card. *shrug* If you don't like the APR, go elsewhere.

They offer all kinds of purchase deals (not 0%) often. Many of these deals are available online and you only need to make a partial payment with the cabelas card (let's say one dollar) the rest can be paid with gift cards which are frequently availabe at 10 to 20% discount. I got my card late last year and ended up getting glock 17 with night sight for about $325 after factoring in discounts and gift card deal. The reward points they give you are insignificant imho. If you do a little work you can get some amazing deals on ammo at cabelas.

Just don't carry a balance on it.:)
+1 on that advice. Use it for discounts only and it will be worth it. You can use the cabelas visa to buy your discount gift cards and then you will earn reward points too. Just make sure to pay off balance every month or it will nullify any savings.

I have one....silver level.
If you can't pay off each month you are not in the game.
Find another way.

The Costco card is a better card, but I like the way rewards can be immediately tapped at checkout with the Cabelas card.
$387 currently "in the bank".

I got one in February after I closed my B of A card.

I use it for big purchases or work related expenses. I have mine set up where I can schedule a payment online and I will usually schedule the payment the same day I make a purchase.......zero balance.

So far I have earned about $280 in points that I use for ammo purchases and haven't paid a dime in interest. I'm probably not their ideal customer.

E

I got one in February after I closed my B of A card.

I use it for big purchases or work related expenses. I have mine set up where I can schedule a payment online and I will usually schedule the payment the same day I make a purchase.......zero balance.

So far I have earned about $280 in points that I use for ammo purchases and haven't paid a dime in interest. I'm probably not their ideal customer.

E
You're a type of ideal customer, though.
No messy payment problems and the CC company can happily go about collecting their fee from the merchants that you use.

:)

Last Edited:
If you can qualify for it, the US Bank Cash Plus signature visa let's you pick two categories that get 5% cash back every quarter on up to $2000 in purchases. A particular category that I like is "sporting good stores"

It cover brownells, midway, cabelas, sportsman's, powdervalley inc, etc.

What that means is if you spend $2000 in a quarter, you'll get $100 back, after that, the cash back rate drops to 1% until the next quarter, so if you spend $2000 or less on sporting good stuff every quarter it's the best option I've found.

I can definitely recommend a Cabela's card, but spend within your means and pay your balance off every month. It's pretty good to those that don't carry a balance, it can be a burden to those that do. I get hundreds of dollars a year in Cabela's bucks and use it for free goods. Just be smart, being in debt to a credit card is a fool's game.

If you can qualify for it, the US Bank Cash Plus signature visa let's you pick two categories that get 5% cash back every quarter on up to $2000 in purchases. A particular category that I like is "sporting good stores"

What that means is if you spend $2000 in a quarter, you'll get $100 back, after that, the cash back rate drops to 1% until the next quarter, so if you spend $2000 or less on sporting good stuff every quarter it's the best option I've found.
I would still get the cabelas card for the 10% off discount they offer often. You only need to use the card for part of the purchase, the rest of the purchase amount can be paid for with cabelas gift cards. The 10% discount usually excludes firearms but works on ammo and most other stuff they carry.

I signed up for a Chase card that played the "Quarters Game".
Found out it was absolutely not for me.
I need a card that builds points on all purchases at any time.

I would still get the cabelas card for the 10% off discount they offer often. You only need to use the card for part of the purchase, the rest of the purchase amount can be paid for with cabelas gift cards. The 10% discount usually excludes firearms but works on ammo and most other stuff they carry.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, I have a Cabelas card from when I was younger, I just haven't used it in a long time and generally very very rarely make purchases at Cabelas anyway because I have found the mark up to be greater than can be purchased elsewhere.

Definitely a great spot to go if they have a solid deal and using a method that saves the most money is always a good strategy.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea, I have a Cabelas card from when I was younger, I just haven't used it in a long time and generally very very rarely make purchases at Cabelas anyway because I have found the mark up to be greater than can be purchased elsewhere.

Definitely a great spot to go if they have a solid deal and using a method that saves the most money is always a good strategy.
Most stuff is high but occasionally they have decent deals on ammo. The best part is they price match all local prices in store on same products and quite a few sporting goods retailers online. The discount gift cards is where the big savings are. I never buy anything there without using a discount gift card.

I signed up for a Chase card that played the "Quarters Game".
Found out it was absolutely not for me.
I need a card that builds points on all purchases at any time.

I get that, maintenance isn't for everyone. I play the credit card cash back game pretty heavily so I don't mind taking 2 minutes 4 times a year to pick my 5% categories, everything get's 1% back no matter what all the time.

I use the Cash+ to get 5% off the phone bill, sporting good stores, fast food, and really never use the 4th category.

I use Discover to get 5% depending on the quarter where the purchase is made, categories include Amazon, Gas Stations, Restaurants, etc.

I use the Amazon card for Amazon purchases to get 5% back on those

I use the Costco Card for Costco Purchases and Gas Station if not already getting back 5%

I use the Citi double Cash back card to get 2% back on every purchase with no limit.

Like I said, I am heavily into it, but I also have a very keen understanding of what I am doing. Credit cards are not for people without very clear budgeting plans and purchasing restraint. As other members have said, carrying a credit card balance is a fool's game.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top