JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure what law said boarding state. Per Federal law you can legally purchase a long gun in any state but ONLY at an FFL if you want to walk out with it. You can legally buy any gun in any state, but unless it is long gun at an FFL it will have to be sent to an FFL in your state for transfer to you.

<broken link removed>

The "bordering state" federal law is long gone.

When out of state, you can buy a long gun from a dealer. You can buy a pistol and have it shipped to a dealer in your state.

You can't legally buy from an individual, unless the sale goes through a dealer as above.

The two states involved may have additional requirements to meet.

Bruce

What is the law for a Oregon resident buying a rifle in Wa. state. One member said you can't; searching on the web said you could if you were living in a boarding state.
Thanks

ALL interstate firearms transfers require an FFL. There can be no private party transfers without the use of an FFL. If it is a long gun the FFL may be in either state. If it is a pistol the FFL must be in the buyers state.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Bottom of page 8 (of the pdf, page 7 of the document), 922 (a)5 unlawful acts

I've also heard WA FFLs are charging a sales tax based on the value of the gun. Even though it's not required.

It is required.

<broken link removed>

"In an interstate transfer of firearms the Washington gun dealer is required to collect use tax from the Washington resident on the purchase price of the firearm. Use tax is collected from the Washington customer at the time the customer takes possession of the firearm. Use tax is collected on the total selling price, including freight and/or delivery charges and other amounts added, such a an amount for insurance coverage"

I've also heard WA FFLs are charging a sales tax based on the value of the gun. Even though it's not required.

NOT TRUE. I bought a rifle from Montana and "Coctailer" here on the forum was the WA FFL who handled the transaction. I just paid the transfer fee. If the FFL in Washington is selling you the weapon, they HAVE TO charge you the State Sales Tax.

CORRECTION:
After reading BCP's post I have to change my answer. It looks like the FFL has to charge you the State Sales Tax on the value of the gun EVEN IF IT IS A GIFT. Thank God it didn't happen ...

So I could walk into Cabela's next weekend and buy a long gun even though I am from Oregon and also walk out the door with it?

Yes. And you may get to skip the sales tax. It is up to the business to collect it or not. Oregon residents qualify for the exemption.

<broken link removed>

Ok thanks, I was curious since I have found some random deals on their used rack but didnt want to wait forever to get my number called and not be able to buy it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top