JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, if its face to face, the minimum is - nothing. The maximum is running a check through OSP just like a gun dealer. I think if you are selling to someone face to face, you should probably check an ID to ensure that person lives in Oregon. You may also want to write down a name, DOB and address in case the person you sell to uses your gun to shoot someone.

If the person is from out of state, the handgun must go through a FFL.

If you decide to go through OSP to run a check, you can find their phone number on their website.

I usually just check for an OR license plate, otherwise I dont care much. I usually buy (havent sold F2F yet) so I have no reason to get any other info.

I check out the firearm for a few minutes to make sure it isnt obviously stolen or covered in blood or something, but otherwise I dont care too much.

I check out the firearm for a few minutes to make sure it isnt obviously stolen or covered in blood or something, but otherwise I dont care too much.
Keane,

It'd be a good idea to at least get a look at an ID, or some kind of name and address info in case your new piece is stolen.

The charge "Receiving Stolen Goods" would be applied even if you've done nothing else wrong and had no idea the gun is stolen. Having someone or somewhere to point them could save you a lot of grief.

Well, if its face to face, the minimum is - nothing. The maximum is running a check through OSP just like a gun dealer. I think if you are selling to someone face to face, you should probably check an ID to ensure that person lives in Oregon. You may also want to write down a name, DOB and address in case the person you sell to uses your gun to shoot someone.

If the person is from out of state, the handgun must go through a FFL.

If you decide to go through OSP to run a check, you can find their phone number on their website.

======================

If it is a rifle it must go thru and FFL also!

1) Check exposed screw heads to see if they look burred....if they are someone may have altered the internal parts....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
2) Especially with Blue Carbon steel single or double action revolver's check the area above the cylinder & barrel gap: lot's of use will show a considerable 'backstrap' burn.
3) If possible take the cylinder out a roll it across a flat surface a bulged cylinder chamber is possible...albiet...unlikely.
4) Always take the grips off over my last 40 yrs I have found the many morons fail to clean under the grips and often times moisture under the grips will cause rust...
5) Always be careful of the price: if the deal seems too good to be true when buying from a total stranger... proceed with caution.

6) I am quite sure there is some one this site that will provide you with valued information

7) RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH the gun you want to get before buying.

8) Leave your check book at home: I turn down checks, and I don't care if buyer wants a $600 handgun or a $1,000 rifle there is just something magic when a Seller see's C-notes!!! Cash is a lubricant and a Seller seeing cash: salivates. When was the last time you paid MSRP for a vehicle you bought...same when dealing for gun or a fishing reel.. If you are good at dickering -don't come across as a know-it-all- you WILL walk away with a nice firearm ...having made a good, fair market deal!

In Oregon,A private party F 2 F sale does not require a FFL...But to save any Unnecessary problems a paper trail is always good to point the law in the right direction,Get there focus off you for any negative prior history...

============================

I high lighted the operative sentence and the words to be alerted to are ACROSS STATE LINES...

dont go handing out all that info
it just isnt smart

i would never hand out my odl or chl
its just asking for trouble
also your not required to even ask for a name (id get a name and # tho)

Did you buy the firearm new, or register the gun at all? All the advice you've gotten here definitely gives you options. In the past when I've sold pistols private party I've gotten name, drivers license #, and current address (from license) for the bill of sale, including my own. I also indicated that transferring ownership was a requirement in a couple of cases and sent in the receipts and paperwork to the state.

You don't have to do that, it depends entirely on what your comfort level is or what you want to do. I did that and set the expectation although it was all personal choice. While there's definitely some risk involved in sharing that information, I knew the individuals I was dealing with which mitigated some of the inherent concerns.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top