JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Spendthrift: A person who spends money in an extravagant, irresponsible way.

If you look in the dictionary for this definition, you will find a picture of my ex fiance next to it. Man I loved that woman. But I dodged a serious bullet. And out of control spending was just the tip of the iceberg.

You do not truly know somebody until you live with them. No way in hell will I ever marry someone without living with them first.

If you look in the dictionary for this definition, you will find a picture of my ex fiance next to it. Man I loved that woman. But I dodged a serious bullet. And out of control spending was just the tip of the iceberg.

You do not truly know somebody until you live with them. No way in hell will I ever marry someone without living with them first.

Living "in sin" does have its advantages.

That's interesting. I assumed the combination of spend and thrift would have meant just the opposite.

Spend
To use up or put out; expend:
Thrift

Wise economy in the management of money and other resources; frugality

Spend-Thrift should mean To use up or put out with wise economy in the management of money and other resources

"Busted flat in Baton Rouge , waitin' for a train ..."
Sorry with the first part of the thread title ... Janis Joplin popped into my head . :)

As to the topic .. nope got luckily we both try to spend our money wisely.
Andy

That's interesting. I assumed the combination of spend and thrift would have meant just the opposite.

Spend
Thrift

Spend-Thrift should mean To use up or put out with wise economy in the management of money and other resources

Me too, (and although I won't admit it) I learned something new today! ;)

Nope! My wife, of 45 years, may be cheaper than l! :D

When she does, rarely, buy something for herself I have zero problems with it. She has ways been an equal + earner in the family! She's hot, too!:p

Spend
Thrift

Welcome to the English language. Where nothing is as it seems and there is no consistency. "I" before "E"...except after half a million other things. :rolleyes:

Jumped into a large paying job around age 18. Moved into a swanky apartment and worked 12-16 hour shifts 6-7 days a week.

Wife spent $5k just on kitchen items alone (we moved in with a bed and a futon for a couch).

We addressed the issue a few years after (I was working too much and she was a stay at home mom with no decent friends and not enough adult enteraction, so shopping was her drug) and now she is pretty money aware and tried to keep as little going out as possible. Especially, once I stopped working. Went to some meetings and got herself healthy about boundaries and such - her mom did a number on her, lets just leave it there.

Now I'm seen as the money glutton (not for a year or more now) because of my firearms spending. And now that I've sold most of that stuff she still doesn't see it as investing but once I am working a full time job things should turn around within a year and I'll be buying again... Or maybe not hard to tell these days.

She was worth working things out and I'd never divorce her at this point in our lives - she tells me the same:cool:. We have never not been able to work thru our problems - sometimes it takes longer then others and some unpleasant discussions but I'm happier with her then alone and can't imagine anything separating us.

The very first step was visual budgets and allowances to start until she realized it was an issue and not just me griping about it.

My main problem was I got married too early (had a pregnant girlfriend) before I was mature and able to support a family. I didn't even want a family, but like most teens I thought it wouldn't happen to me and I was too into the pleasure.

My now ex-wife, had quite different priorities than I did - still does; mine were/are, shelter, food, security (financial and otherwise) - her's were nice things (furniture, etc.).

We both didn't know how to manage money, but I kind of knew that rent came before having a nice couch or TV. She, never having had a job or money, didn't have a clue, still doesn't.

Recipe for disaster - and disaster it was. 'Nuff said about that.

Never again. I doubt I will ever be attached in any way again, but if I am, it will be to someone who is willing to take responsibility for their own life, including their own expenses.

I have set aside some investments for my retirement, but the bulk of that I intend to leave for my daughter who may not always be able to hold a job as she does now, and may have to retire early. Any future SO would have to accept that as my first and foremost priority; i.e., that I will provide the best I can for my daughter's long term financial security and that everything I have will go to my daughter. Anyone else has to make their own way in life without depending on me - I have one responsibility and it is to my daughter.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top