JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A model 19 may just be the perfect.38 revolver with the bonus that you can shoot magnum loads out of it if you like. .38spc out of that revolver are just about rimfire level of recoil
Yep! I have shot 1000s of 158 gr lead SWCs with 3.5 grains of Bullseye out of my previous M-19 and now doing the same with my 'new' M-66 but I may be switching over to TiteGroup since recently trying it in 9mm and .45 ACP and both are very accurate with it and recoil seems softer.

Just make sure your gal is aware of how to handle a bullet stuck in the barrell with those light loads just in case. Listen for a consistent report/feel for consistent recoil, and make sure to pay attention to the bullet strike downrange. A little more recoil is better than a busted gun or hand. If you're not sure on any of the above empty the gun and rod the barrell. Just something to be aware of. I've seen more revolvers get wrecked over the years with low charges than overcharges.

That's exactly why I did the load test first, when she goes to shoot I will be the one watching impacts and keeping it all good.

Everything shot so far has cleared with no problems, of course that doesn't mean it's not a possibility or something to ignore.

Yea, that 2gr of trailboss sounds pretty light.

that's the listed load on Hodgdon website. 2.0-2.3gn. I went to 2.1 Incase I have a short or heavy drop.

I found a 158 gr lead round nose with the starting load of 231 was a super soft load out my sp101 with a 4inch barrel. I keep thinking ones going to get stuck but there going close to 900fps so I don't think they will.
Very similar to my loadout for my wife in the S&W 15-3. Has problems with tumbling if I load it too light, but recoil is negligible. On the plus side, if I don't like where the bullet is going, I can run downrange and adjust before it gets to the target....;)

700X is a terrific powder, very energetic, low throw weights make it economical too.
For your lady, in a quality revolver, use the 158 grain SWC behind 2.8 grains of 700X. Accurate, low recoil, pleasant to shoot & not overwhelming.

I used 5gr of Trailboss for 158gr bullets and now use 5.5gr for 125gr bullets, it fills the case to the bottom of the bullet. I also use magnum primers for this.

Shooting through a 6" 357mag and they still feel like BBs. Its very smoot and seems to burn real clean and consistent. my wife shoots them too and has no problem with it. She's pretty afraid of fireballs and blasts and such.

My 357mag loads are 22.8gr compressed win 296 under 125gr HP. That moves almost 2000fps and the recoil is pretty stout but boy its powerful, needless to say my wife wont come near that haha.

700X is a terrific powder, very energetic, low throw weights make it economical too.
For your lady, in a quality revolver, use the 158 grain SWC behind 2.8 grains of 700X. Accurate, low recoil, pleasant to shoot & not overwhelming.

I'll remember your formula when I finally run thru the 8lbs of Red Dot and start using the 3lb of 700X that I have. Maybe. Maybe I better write it down?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top