JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was involved in a bulk ammo buy a long time ago. I don't recall seeing one in here in a long time. The person that put the one together that I was involved in said that he would never do it again, too much trouble. I would not be opposed to one though.

I was involved in a bulk ammo buy a long time ago. I don't recall seeing one in here in a long time. The person that put the one together that I was involved in said that he would never do it again, too much trouble. I would not be opposed to one though.
I guess I'd have to be all local. I can imagine it could get difficult to manage. Ammo I guess 1,000 rnds of whatever is easy enough to get. The world of credit probably ended co-op. But 5,000 primer packs? Or 1,000 bullet packs of.308…cal .500? I guess I'm not that far down rabbit hole yet to plan ahead for that. Maybe it's just because I'm still learning and experimenting. And just a single press.
It was just a thought because my church was gonna start up a food/beef co-op. Heck maybe I'd start there for shooting.
Thx for sharing your experience

I've set up group buys five times over the years. The only way I would ever consider doing it again is if I collected, in advance, the full amount of money from each participant and it was non-refundable. Also, it would be the participants responsibility to pick up the items at my location at an agreed upon time and by a certain deadline.

Even with that I really doubt I'd do it again.

In my experience, there is something about group buys that turn otherwise good gun folks, whose word is their bond, into Craigslist level flakes!

You will deal with a ton of "I changed my mind", "Something happened and I'm now broke", "Yadda, yardage, yadda".

If you don't mind sitting on a lot of product, providing delivery services, and working like a dog collecting amounts due then give it a try.

On the other hand, group buys through an affinity group such as a gun club can work quite well. The loss of respect from fellow club members has a great impact on folks keeping their word and a club can, better than an individual, hold and resell excess items.

Last Edited:
Never did an actual "Group Buy" but did buy a couple cases of bullets, 4000 +/- I think? And then just sold them here, rounded up a dollar or 5 over what I paid. Did some powder like that too. Isn't that what credit cards are for? :)

To add, I posted on the the board to judge interest lever first.

It's not uncommon for a group of people to pool their money and buy ammo in bulk from me. From my side of the coin, I only want to deal with one person as a point of contact.

Never did an actual "Group Buy" but did buy a couple cases of bullets, 4000 +/- I think? And then just sold them here, rounded up a dollar or 5 over what I paid. Did some powder like that too. Isn't that what credit cards are for? :)

To add, I posted on the the board to judge interest lever first.
That's a solid plan. I was thinking about doing something similar with #11 percussion caps. Three hundred of those would last me a long time, but I thought about ordering 1,000 (since you have to pay hazmat fees anyway) and putting the excess up for sale here. Unfortunately, they seem to be out of stock EVERYWHERE. I've seen enough WTB listings and whatnot to know I'm not the only one having trouble finding them.

That's a solid plan. I was thinking about doing something similar with #11 percussion caps. Three hundred of those would last me a long time, but I thought about ordering 1,000 (since you have to pay hazmat fees anyway) and putting the excess up for sale here. Unfortunately, they seem to be out of stock EVERYWHERE. I've seen enough WTB listings and whatnot to know I'm not the only one having trouble finding them.
You got enough people, close by (no shipping), to sell off what you don't want?

You got enough people, close by (no shipping), to sell off what you don't want?
From what I've been told. My hunting buddy is a neighbor and good friend of the owner of The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium in Springfield. He talks to the owner frequently and she laments the fact they can't seem to get them. I've talked to Bi-Mart personnel on numerous occasions and they tell me they haven't gotten any in for two years. I've heard a rumor that Cabela's has gotten a few in, but never when I've been in there.

Buying 1,000 wouldn't be that big of an investment. In the unlikely event I couldn't find any buyers, I'd just keep them. :s0092: My son could inherit them and he would use them someday.

From what I've been told. My hunting buddy is a neighbor and good friend of the owner of The Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium in Springfield. He talks to the owner frequently and she laments the fact they can't seem to get them. I've talked to Bi-Mart personnel on numerous occasions and they tell me they haven't gotten any in for two years. I've heard a rumor that Cabela's has gotten a few in, but never when I've been in there.

Buying 1,000 wouldn't be that big of an investment. In the unlikely event I couldn't find any buyers, I'd just keep them. :s0092: My son could inherit them and he would use them someday.
Yup. That's the way to look at it!

I looked at a couple of my wholesalers and they have none either.

One of my buddies picked up 1200 or more CCI #11 at Sportsmans last time they had them at the store (no limit) which was around six months ago. I found #10's for him about the same time and ordered 1000 for him.

well if ya get desperate you can make some.........

I have not organized a formal group buy as the OP inquired about for the reasons others listed. Back when supplies were more readily available, and prices reflected that, I often would check with friends and family to see if they needed anything, and I would typically buy ahead of my near-term needs to spread the cost of shipping/hazmat, or amortize the time and trouble of going around to local retailers for supplies. Rather than buying 22 ammo by the box or brick, primers by the sleeve, or projectiles by the box of 100, I typically buy larger quantities when favorable deals are to be had. Less chance I will "need" to go looking for something when the item is scarce, and/or in high demand. Stored properly, ammo and components will last a long time. And over time, prices go up.

On several occasions I have split a case of 22 ammo or other centerfire ammo with friends, or helped a couple friends or family members who got caught short during the cyclical panics when they couldn't find ammo, primers, or powder readily available. The only way I would do a larger group buy is with people I completely trusted, or buying a quantity and type of product that I would be comfortable keeping for myself in case it didn't work out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top