JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not hard but you will need a few tools.

Receiver block
Barrel wrench
Torque wrench
Punches

It is not too hard just a matter of getting it done. I know there are a ton of how to descriptions and videos online.........

First upper I ever put together, and the only one, took me about 30 mins to assemble. I couldn't believe how easy it was. To be fair, I think part of it was luck that when I torqued it to 30lbs the hole for the gas tube lined up perfectly so I never had to play with it. Give it a go!

Hey, ok so maybe this sounds stupid and I am kind of new to this site, but is there ever any interest in a build party? If we had some newbies and some seasoned folk, I just think that it would be educational and fun at the same time.. I mean ****, if it takes a seasoned person 30 minutes, we could plan a couple of hours and take our time doing it right and getting to know each the weapon and each other at the same time... Call me crazy...

I was wondering if the OP meant to make an upper receiver from a solid chunk of aluminum. I have seen people do that, but you need a lot of machine tools and what not. as for assembling an upper, I have done a few and its not hard at all. Only thing you really need is an armorers wrench and a good bench vise. I have yet to buy receiver blocks. I just made my own out of 1x2's. since I don't do the A1 or A2 uppers this seems to work pretty good. Its not rocket science. AR15.com and M4carbine.net have great write ups on how to put together an AR. Lowers I build on the floor in the living room and uppers take no time at all out in the garage. I could probably have a complete gun assembled from parts in less than 45min if I was taking my time.

So wats the parts list consist of if I'm to build one?

upper receiver (preferably complete with all the little parts installed), charging handle, complete bolt carrier, flash hider/compensator/muzzle brake, crush washer or peel washer for said muzzle accessory, barrel, gas tube of the appropriate length, gas block of the appropriate diameter for the barrel, roll pin for the gas tube (usually comes with the tube), and some sort of handguard or free float tube (typically they come with a barrel nut). I think thats about it as far as the parts go. Definitely have to do your research to make sure everything is compatible together size wise. you will probably also want to get some sort of back up sights or regular iron sights, but those are easy to put on yourself excluding a traditional front sight block as those have to be done by a smith as they are pinned on. But they are not worth it IMO if you are building your own upper. just get a good rail or railed gas block and you should be good to go for just adding a sight to that.

I threw this one together last night in about 1/2 hour, easy with the right tools.

View attachment 192694

Very nice, except if I may make one suggestion--it may be a good idea to move that scope mount back onto the upper receiver. Though it may not make as much difference since you have a single-piece scope mount, "bridging the gap" is never a good idea.

If the eye relief doesn't work, maybe try scooting the scope forwards in the mount as far as it will go or get a different mount that sticks forward more.

Not hard but you will need a few tools.

Receiver block
Barrel wrench
Torque wrench
Punches

It is not too hard just a matter of getting it done. I know there are a ton of how to descriptions and videos online.........

You might also want to add some headspacing gauges too. I know AR-15s are supposed to be self-headspacing and all, but I like to be absolutely sure.

building an ar upper from scratch

I think your main problem will be boring the barrel and getting the rifling correct if you can even get the blank!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Feedback Score" is low by 4, not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Looks like a monolithic upper... no problem with mounting where it is. I could be wrong. I thought about buying an Aero upper, anyone use one?

It's a floated tube with the same height as the upper. If the tube has a solid mount and does not move it should not be a problem if you have to run the mount that far forward. The mount on the upper only would be a better choice. I have two Aero lowers and they are GTG, never tried their uppers.

You might also want to add some headspacing gauges too. I know AR-15s are supposed to be self-headspacing and all, but I like to be absolutely sure.

The AR15 is not self head spacing. Bolts and barrel extensions are machines to a specification, most well head space fine but if it's not a matched set from the manufacturer you should check to be sure.

I teach the AR-15 armorer's course at Center Target Sports in Post Falls, Idaho. I have also assembled around 1000 AR-15's in the past couple of years. I would be happy to contribute if anyone has any questions.

It's a floated tube with the same height as the upper. If the tube has a solid mount and does not move it should not be a problem if you have to run the mount that far forward. The mount on the upper only would be a better choice. I have two Aero lowers and they are GTG, never tried their uppers.

I couldn't see a definitive line where the upper would meet the foregrip/rail assembly. I even zoomed in, looked like a monolithic. Those finnishes are supper close if it's not all one piece.

Thanks for the GTG on the lowers I am going to be picking a few up soon.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top