JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy!
I got my dad a stripped lower from Palmetto State Armory for father's day when they were having their sale and the rest of the parts came in the mail today! The upper is fully assembled (thank the lord), but we are going to need to build the lower from ground up.

What kind of tools should we be looking to acquire to help us in our project? I plan to do a couple of builds later on down the road, so we should get good use out of our investment. Thanks in advance

You know,a 2 pound sledge,a vice,a pair of channel locks,may a vicegrip,some punches and a friend told it while using the sledgehammer

Haven't gotten mine to fire yet though

Really not sure about the best armor's tool but the action block and the lower block really help cut down the frustration factor.
I am going to build some sort of box so when I slip and release a detent and spring,they can't go very far.(got very lucky last time) Even some card board surrounding the action when you're doing it.

Roll-pin and regular punch set would be nice, a small brass headed hammer. They make a bolt catch pin punch but it's more for removing the roll pin than installing. You can use a allen wrench as a makeshift tool for the front take down pin detent tool. Not much to assembling a lower. A castle nut wrench depending on what butt stock you use.

Masking tape is also nice to have to protect the receiver when installing pins.

I used a chunk of wood, a brass hammer and punch,, screwdriver, needlenose pliers, masking tape, razorblade, and castle nut wrench for my build. The castle nut wrench was the only purchase I had to make. With the 2-part video on youtube it took about 1 hour my 1st time through. Watch the bolt catch pin. I butchered mine the 1st time trying to go in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w

I used a claw hammer, pair of pliers and black electrical tape to build my lower. Oh and a straight blade screwdriver and allen wrench. Not one mark on it

For the upper I actually had to buy a free float wrench and action block for barreling it

Point is AR's are dirt simple to build and if you're mechanically inclined you can get creative with what tools you have and make it happen. If you have a problem with losing detents/springs just assemble them into the lower in a 1 gallon ziplock bag. Keeps them from launching into outer space

The hard part for me was finding the 4/40 screw locally to put into the tapped hole.

Yeah - no luck at Lowe's or Home Depot. And when I went to a specialty bolt store, they actually didn't have anything that short either. Of all places, I managed to find what I needed in the Battle Ground Tru-Value/Ace Hardware (by Safeway). They had TONS of them - so I bought 5 or 6 to make sure I had extra.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top