JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think you're turning Japanese, I really think so.

I know this might not be too helpful, but the AR-15 being a gas operated system really takes a lot of the brunt of force off the extension and pins. The pressure bearing parts push off each other instead of pushing completely off the aluminum receiver. When aluminum fails it typically fails all at once.

Things to consider.

Duct tape, some pipes, and an electric actuator may be in store for you.

Could a homemade smooth bore firearm with shorter than 18" barrel be legally made using a fresh AR15 receiver? If so, what grips would be ideal for this configuration?
Technically yes. Depending on size, I know there is a 410 upper for an ar15, and I think a 12 or 20ga for an ar10, I'd probably just go with a big overmolded grip. Legally the grip doesn't matter.

I think you're turning Japanese, I really think so.

I know this might not be too helpful, but the AR-15 being a gas operated system really takes a lot of the brunt of force off the extension and pins. The pressure bearing parts push off each other instead of pushing completely off the aluminum receiver. When aluminum fails it typically fails all at once.

Things to consider.

Duct tape, some pipes, and an electric actuator may be in store for you.
That is a good point, but I purposely attacked an AR15 lower receiver once and those things are very tough. I haven't tortured an upper receiver yet but I am guessing they are equally as tough. We'll find out together.

Technically yes. Depending on size, I know there is a 410 upper for an ar15, and I think a 12 or 20ga for an ar10, I'd probably just go with a big overmolded grip. Legally the grip doesn't matter.
Do.you think Mossberg went with birdshead grip just to meet overall length and have the shortest barrel they could?

This is the real answer, sorry to side track. The grip doesn't matter. Especially since the receiver extension juts out and is an integral part of function. The only reason you're so limited with a shockwave is because the long grip needs to make the overall length of the firearm or device or whatever that is classified as

Can I help? I think a downward ejecting 20 gauge that has a side mag would be pretty goofy. I can make jigs for you to router mill out any shapes you need in it

Can I help? I think a downward ejecting 20 gauge that has a side mag would be pretty goofy. I can make jigs for you to router mill out any shapes you need in it
That sounds like a cool idea and I appreciate the offer but I am aiming for more of a simple plug n play project. I am looking at mating this barrel (rifling removed): https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/gu...arkerized-heavy-barrel-1-20-twist-barrel.html

with double buffers in an A2 style ext tube. Tomorrow, I will do some measuring to see where overall length falls. I may just use a single buffer in standard buffer tube and do a pin and weld muzzle device. It might be cool to have a muzzle device that accepts screw in chokes? The 50 Beowulf brass should offer enough case capacity to get close to 410 power shot loads and good size slug loads.

That sounds like a cool idea and I appreciate the offer but I am aiming for more of a simple plug n play project. I am looking at mating this barrel (rifling removed): https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/gu...arkerized-heavy-barrel-1-20-twist-barrel.html

with double buffers in an A2 style ext tube. Tomorrow, I will do some measuring to see where overall length falls. I may just use a single buffer in standard buffer tube and do a pin and weld muzzle device. It might be cool to have a muzzle device that accepts screw in chokes? The 50 Beowulf brass should offer enough case capacity to get close to 410 power shot loads and good size slug loads.
Oh wow that idea is roughly ten times better than mine. Have you seen the ratshot weapons of mass destruction memes a few years ago? Do you have a lathe? I don't but I took a VERY affordable and informative manual milling class at ccc last year

Oh wow that idea is roughly ten times better than mine. Have you seen the ratshot weapons of mass destruction memes a few years ago? Do you have a lathe? I don't but I took a VERY affordable and informative manual milling class at ccc last year
I haven't seen that meme and I wish I had a lathe. It would have saved me at least 2 man hours of grinding on a 9 inch length of 3/4 black pipe. That schedule 40 black pipe steel is no joke. It turned a 6 inch bench grinder wheel into a 5 inch wheel. I had to use a 36grit ceramic pad on a die grinder to smooth out the bench grinding marks. I have no doubt the steel will hold up to shotshell loads and maybe 50 BMG loads;)

I got the breech face bolt ground down but thread engagement is too short where 1" pipe threads into reducer. It only goes in about 3 threads, maybe less. The 1" pipe was suppose to cinch up to the breech face bolt so I am going to have to bush up the breech face bolt to meet the 1" pipe. Maybe a couple of split washers will do the trick?

Do.you think Mossberg went with birdshead grip just to meet overall length and have the shortest barrel they could?
The original idea behind these was a "kit". The first time I saw one I thought no way in hell it would fly. Someone got to looking at realized the ATF had left a loop hole no one had noticed. The Mossy Cruiser's were not considered a long gun. So a Co made a kit they would send you to cut the barrel down and the grip to make the length correct. When they first started selling them they sent with each kit a letter from the ATF explaining how this was legal and suggested buyers keep a copy of the letter with them at all times. After a while when it looked like the ATF was not going to shut this down Mossy just started making them factory. Then Rem jumped into the game.

The original idea behind these was a "kit". The first time I saw one I thought no way in hell it would fly. Someone got to looking at realized the ATF had left a loop hole no one had noticed. The Mossy Cruiser's were not considered a long gun. So a Co made a kit they would send you to cut the barrel down and the grip to make the length correct. When they first started selling them they sent with each kit a letter from the ATF explaining how this was legal and suggested buyers keep a copy of the letter with them at all times. After a while when it looked like the ATF was not going to shut this down Mossy just started making them factory. Then Rem jumped into the game.
If an 18 year old tries to buy a cruiser from an FFL, is he/she prohibited from doing so?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top