JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a project I have been thinking about doing for quite sometime. The current configuration is how I will run it and it's almost complete. Three tasks are left, including removal of gas tube, blocking off gas port and adding a bolt to better secure the firing pin driving rod to the pistol grip. Not much point in adding an optic to it. I will take the first shots at a very short distance using safe backstop.

The big question, that is yet unanswered, is what part of this firearm will be considered the receiver under current law? If I sell it in the future some part of it will need a serial number.

20220213_071053.jpg

20220213_071129.jpg

20220213_071142.jpg

This guy was one of the people who motivated me to come up with this project.

Last Edited:
I would guess here....
That the receiver would be what was formerly the upper receiver...since it meets ( receives ) a barrel.
And without a barrel attached to it...it can't shoot.
( well not very well at any rate )
Andy

I would guess here....
That the receiver would be what was formerly the upper receiver...since it meets ( receives ) a barrel.
And without a barrel attached to it...it can't shoot.
( well not very well at any rate )
Andy
That would be my first guess too. I always thought that should be the serialized part on a standard AR too. But for whatever reason they went with the lower. It seems the trigger housing trumped all the other components.

How about leaving the open gas port open? To act as a comp for the substantial muzzle rise of the mighty 556? Just keep your hands clear!!! I follow a lot of your project ideas posted here and think you always think outside the box, definitely not a bad trait.

How about leaving the open gas port open? To act as a comp for the substantial muzzle rise of the mighty 556? Just keep your hands clear!!! I follow a lot of your project ideas posted here and think you always think outside the box, definitely not a bad trait.
Interesting idea. I think I will try it with gas port blocked first, then go from there. I imagine I will lose interest pretty quickly with this project, unless it proves more accurate to shoot than I'm expecting. My guess is I will need to be at 15ft or less to hit man size target.

I am going to try out the upper only firearm project this month. I may do one round only just to check for function and see if I can hit a plywood target. If I can hit the target and nothing catastrophic happens, I will try a few more rounds.

I will also be trying out my quick change barrel idea with at least one maybe two barrel changes.

Other projects on the list to try this month are:

Large pistol primers in rifle brass, just popping the primer in an empty case.

9mm AR with dual buffers.

9mm AR with blow back action disabled (pretty much solid silicone buffer, no spring). This set up will require pistol style buffer tube to be removed to reload.

AR single shot pistol, various caliber cartridges. This test will be combined with quick change barrel testing. If the quick change barrel testing works in single shot config, I will try it out in semi-auto config this summer.

Reduced 30-30 loads with fast pistol powder, probably Ramshot Competition powder.

Assuming I make it out of the woods alive, I will report results in appropiate threads. If I don't make it out alive, the haters can rejoice but I hope you will memorialize me with a "He should have listened to us thread".

That would be my first guess too. I always thought that should be the serialized part on a standard AR too. But for whatever reason they went with the lower. It seems the trigger housing trumped all the other components.
I think it's the lower cuz typically the part that holds the mag is serialized. But I think I heard that from Ian so not 1st hand knowledge.

This is a project I have been thinking about doing for quite sometime. The current configuration is how I will run it and it's almost complete. Three tasks are left, including removal of gas tube, blocking off gas port and adding a bolt to better secure the firing pin driving rod to the pistol grip. Not much point in adding an optic to it. I will take the first shots at a very short distance using safe backstop.

The big question, that is yet unanswered, is what part of this firearm will be considered the receiver under current law? If I sell it in the future some part of it will need a serial number.

View attachment 1130725

View attachment 1130724

View attachment 1130723

This guy was one of the people who motivated me to come up with this project.

Now it's complete, I removed the gas block plus tube and installed a different gas block backwards so gas port is sealed off. I went full retard on the grip trigger and drilled a couple of holes through the grip and aluminum tube. Then threaded a couple of woods screws through the holes. It only needs to hold for a round or a few to test out the idea.

I can tell right now it's only going to be useful close up. When I ram the grip trigger into the back of the BCG you can see the muzzle move. I will probably be lucky to hit a man size target board at self defense distances of 15ft or so. I will call it a success if the grip trigger sets off the primer, fires the round and the BCG doesn't come flying out the back of the upper.

20220406_094202.jpg

20220406_094144.jpg

Imo failures are often more interesting than successes cuz it makes u question why it didn't work and what mods would make it work, leading to a better mousetrap.

Interesting concept.

Im wondering if the upper was to be mounted in a tripod vise set up and the slam action was an actuated pull of the pistol grip (towards the shooter) rather than a push if this could provide for better accuracy?

The lugs on the upper could be used to attach this pull grip which would actuate the mechanism to spring forward and strike the firing pin. Would this pulling grip concept then be considered a "firearm" as it accepts no ammunition and ammo much be breach loaded?

Id assume then, the forward motion (push) of the grip could always pull the bolt back opening the breach and clearing the round. Sort of like a reverse, in line lever action.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top