JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some 80% lowers I have done. 9 mm 10 mm and .45ACP

EC6F471C-E1EE-44D0-9D34-7F3C2801C437.jpeg

It's a toss up the top left 9mm and bottom right 10mm. But they are all fun to shoot. And a to build. Next up I have the parts coming for a 9mm 6in long slide.

Where did you find the slide on that 9mm that you like? I'm trying to find one in .40/10mm for a 2011 build that I'm working on.

I also have a couple of Para Ordnance Black Ops frames that I've been building. It's been slow going because the frame is a government grip with a commander-length dust cover. So with a government slide, there's a gap behind part of the recoil spring tunnel. Finding parts that fit has been hit or miss.

Very nice bountiful 1911's. I use to tinker with 1911's way back in the 1990s
when parts were cheap. Trigger jobs, grip safeties, barrels and bushings.
Saint John's Finest Accomplishment

1911 builders are a great place for 80% blanks. Both stanless steel and aluminum. Also patriot armory. Most off the slides I got off eBay. The monolithic slide on top left was from 1911 builders. They are not to hard to do. The matrix rail cutter makes it a lot easier. Most parts are just drop in.
You can get the lowers pre ramped for std government or Para Clark.

Last Edited:
I have thought of building one for quite a while but it never seems to work out on paper for me. It seems to cost more to build an 80% 1911 than it does to just buy one???

Now that we can't even buy one in Oregon it makes more sense to build one.

If you only want to do 1 it will not be cost effective. But fun. Also you will learn a lot. I stared with one. Now I am working on no. 10. Also back in the day when AK kits were cheap we had build parties. Every one would bring different tools. And we would share the cost. Get together with your friends and see if you can not share the cost of buying the jig?

I have thought of building one for quite a while but it never seems to work out on paper for me. It seems to cost more to build an 80% 1911 than it does to just buy one???

Now that we can't even buy one in Oregon it makes more sense to build one.
Doing 80%'s isn't usually about saving money. Some types can be less expensive and it gives you the option to use less expensive 3rd party components, but by any large, they'll run about the same as an off the shelf, and typically even a bit more.

There is the fun element, there is the staying off big brothers registries element and just the general sense of satisfaction shooting something you''ve put together yourself.

The jigs... yeah... that adds to the cost, but remember too that jigs retain their value quite well. If you're only going to turn out 1 or 2, it's easy enough to flip the jig onto the next guy and recover your initial investment.

I think for many folks, that was the plan, but PMF's can be more addictive than you might think. Letting your jigs go after only 1 or 2 can be more difficult than many can muster following through with. Be prepared! ;)

To add on to what Yarome said, I view these jigs as a shop investment. They are precision tools with a dedicated purpose.
To recoup the expense, you might consider renting them to people that you trust, with a portion of the rental covering the cost of replacement bits.

Your post reminded me of this video.....

Yeah....."made or built or assembled." Whatever......in all honesty (IMHO).....It's all good.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....for the laugh.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR