JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One comment I haven't seen here yet is to beware of out of spec parts portrayed as mil spec. In particular the bolt head. One time I got a chrome plated (chamber and bore) barrel with a short chamber. That meant buying a reamer and trying to ream chrome out of the chamber, I dumped the barrel on ebay. After I built a couple with brand name parts I found I wasn't saving that much money. Also what you wind up with in the end is a "Frankenstein" gun of mixed heritage parts that won't sell for anywhere near what an all brand name gun will. I've been happy with Bushmaster parts. The lowers go on sale regularly and are of known quality.

If your hands and brain work and you're cool with buying some tools, do the complete build.

My first one was a 16" mid gasser in 223 Wylde.
That's a chamber, not a cartridge.
It runs both 5.56 and .223

Last Edited:
Sure do. At least three of my lowers started with $39 Anderson's back when BHO was Criminal in Chief.
[edit to add] @Flopsweat, you definitely improved on it.

While they're great, they are plastic. I won't buy them again after finding UTG Super Slim flip up front and rear sights on Amazon for ~$40 for the pair. Dead on, lock up tight and they're all metal.
Do you have a link to the rear sight you speak of?

One option I'll throw out there that hasn't been mentioned yet and some may disagree with, have you considered an AR pistol? Get an Anderson lower for $50ish and a Palmetto State Armory 10.5" pistol kit in 5.56 (or .223 Wylde as it will shoot 5.56 and .223 as well) with their enhanced trigger with an SBA3 brace. Make sure the lower is transferred as "other" and not rifle or pistol, although "other" is the most common way they are transferred. 10.5" is supposed to be the sweet spot for accuracy, portability, and noise. Throw on some flip up BUIS (you can find sales for a set of Magpul BUIS for $60 if the kit doesn't come with them) and you're all in for $500 give or take $100. Make sure not to order knock off or airsoft sights on accident. I like to add a red dot myself. Should easily do 100 yards and is compact and awesome. Buy ammo and mags and have a blast.

Sportsmans Warehouse on Everett Mall Way has stripped aluminum Anderson lowers for $49.99. No transfer fees. Don't know what other fees as I've never bought a firearm from them but there's tax. Everything else can be sent to your home address.
I'll go by there on my way home tonight! I'd never even thought of that place until you brought it up-- thanks!!!

I'll give a somewhat dissenting opinion. Buy over build, especially for the first AR. Buying from a well known company that's been around awhile provides warranty support in case something is not right. Buying is a faster way to get to shooting. For the second AR, build it, if the desire to build is maintained.

In my sample group of shooting friends, those that build don't seem more satisfied than those who buy. The little money, if any that is saved by building is soon forgotten. The biggest difference is the time it takes to get to the shooting part. The people who buy shoot right away, the people who build take longer to get there.

The journey is your own and after you buy or build you will know what you prefer. About the only thing that is an absolute is you will own more than one

Im going to agree with building the lower and buying an upper.
Personallt, id spend a few extra $$$ and go with an aero/bcm lower.
At that point, for a first rifle, id go with a built upper. If budget, i hear good about PSA, if youre trying to make it really cheap/inexpensive.

U
I'll give a somewhat dissenting opinion. Buy over build, especially for the first AR. Buying from a well known company that's been around awhile provides warranty support in case something is not right. Buying is a faster way to get to shooting. For the second AR, build it, if the desire to build is maintained.

In my sample group of shooting friends, those that build don't seem more satisfied than those who buy. The little money, if any that is saved by building is soon forgotten. The biggest difference is the time it takes to get to the shooting part. The people who buy shoot right away, the people who build take longer to get there.

The journey is your own and after you buy or build you will know what you prefer. About the only thing that is an absolute is you will own more than one
Unfortunately even if he buys a factory built rifle he will have to wait to shoot it because of I1639. The warranty would be nice.

IMHO, the two things that matter most in an AR are the barrel, and the trigger. I'd argue in that order. Depends what you're going for....I've never gone wrong putting a little extra money into the barrel and trigger. You can find solid assembled uppers with quality barrels from a number of place, but pay attention to what you're getting there. .223 Wylde chambers have always shot very well for me.

For something a step up from the typical bagged AR triggers, I've had fantastic luck with the ACT trigger from ALG defense. For a little more, the CMC drop in triggers are another step up and a very respectable drop in. With a lower from Aero and one of their LPK's (minus trigger) you're on your way.

Good luck, and have fun - !!

Got my stripped lower from sportsman's Warehouse and rifle kit from palmetto state armory. $50+$500. Wise arms has a kit for $310 but I liked the components better on the PSA kit. Go 16+ inches on the barrel or it's not a legal length rifle.

Go 16+ inches on the barrel or it's not a legal length rifle.
....the overall length has to be 16". I went with a 14.5" barrel and had a suppressor adapter pinned / welded on the end, making the assembly a legal 16". Or, you could make it a pistol. Just be sure to understand and follow the restrictions if you choose that path.

The pistol option does have some restrictions. Vertical fore grips are a no-go on pistols, although there are some rules about overall length, I find it best to just avoid the whole discussion. You can have a small stop though. This one has an Ariska defense stop to keep me from putting my hand in front of the muzzle on accident. This is an Anderson lower with an SBA3 brace (I don't normally go for graphics, but it was what the shop had in stock at the time) and a PSA upper with a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot and Magpul BUIS. If I could have only 1 AR, it would either be a nicer one capable of long range accuracy or a pistol, but that's just my preference.

Anderson_PSA_Pistol_10.5_FDE_2020-05-07_1.jpg

You'll probably end up with more than one though, so if you don't build or buy a pistol now, I'd recommend considering one for a future project.

Good luck!

I built three ARs with Anderson lowers. I used a BCM or Spikes Tactical lowers part kit but replaced the Spikes hollow pistol grip with a Magpul MOE K2+ grip. If the lower didn't include the FCG I used a BCM PNT FCG. This is my first built lower.

I bought a Troy Industries fully assembled upper and replaced the BCG with on a BCM one that bought years ago. The Troy includes the CH and BCG but I wanted a HPT and MPI one. I also put on front and rear Troy flip up battle sights.

D1AE1AB4-419B-4289-90FC-DE08A27E2608.jpeg

Last Edited:
I will start looking into a lower locally, though I found Buds had a lower kit with stock for a little over $100. May look into that, even given the idiotic transfer fee for a bit of aluminum... but that's another rant... :D
FYI, I've found that Palmetto State Armory and Delta Team Tactical are the 2 places to get the best prices. PSA will have a bit better quality control. Be advised, if you are going buy a kit and assemble it yourself, you'll need some tools. Midway has a good how to on building the upper.

This link: AR-15 Lower Build has pretty clear instructions on building the lower.

I've put a request into Precise Shooter in Lynnwood for an upper and lower "set". Seems like a good way to go.
AM15-Skeletonized with A2 Setup G2-K840-A003
This looks almost like a scam. (Maybe I have the wrong product ?)
Inexpensive Anderson receivers that someone "skeltonized" ?
I'd run away from that one.....fast.
Screen-Shot-05-07-20-at-12-54-PM.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top