JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All! Looking for a good starter AR (I know, the timing is epic) and looking at lowers, BCG's etc. Given the current climate, would it be a better idea to assemble whichever available parts I can find or just hope I can wheedle my way into a decent rifle until the panic buying is over and I can upgrade/replace? I'm a gun geek of sorts so the actual assembly wouldn't be the challenge, more that I don't know much about AR's in particular. Caliber is open to interpretation but something mid-range capable (100 yards) with fast acquisition sights (peep, etc.), keeping in mind quite possible 2-legged and rare-but-possible black bear problems to be solved, hopefully in a peaceable manner but if not, then capably. Ammo costs need to run in the reasonable cost range (yes, 300BO is cool but too expensive, same with 458SOCOM). I'm hoping for some Edjumacashuns! Or if someone is looking to move on a starter of their own I'm open to that as well. $6-700 range sound reasonable?

What a lot of people do is buy a stripped lower from your local gunshop and then order a complete upper, receiver extension/buffer/spring kit and lower parts kit online. Add back up sights/optic and you have a complete AR. It is usually cheaper that way.

CLee0507 nailed it. Rifles are still a bit pricey and a lot of parts are not, so building your own may save even more that it usually does.

Sounds like .223 will best meet your needs. I know it's not ideal against a bear, but it's the cheapest rifle round that works on a wide variety of critters. Cheapest ammo and cheapest parts.

Well. My first AR was a build from Sarco inc's basic "M4 Flat top" kit with a new .223 Wylde barrel... 16" Carbine length with fixed FSB and M4 collapsible stock. at that time, it was far cheaper than the lowest priced entry level ARs. Now that ARs are pretty cheap.. kits are still cheaper for a standard 16" Carbine 5.56 build. Mid-length gas with 16" barrel is a little more money, but not that much. Rifle length gas and 20"+ is quite bit more money, but still relatively affordable, especially if you go for FSB and round handguards, basically the M16A4 upper; lowers may be a bit more money if you're looking at fixed A2 length stocks, or other stocks with different features than the standard M4 stock.

You might luck out on "blemish upper" sales from Palmetto State... but I think there are other places where the uppers can be had for a better deal overall. The Lower Parts Kit is where you ought to focus on maximizing budget with a forged/aluminum lower as opposed to anything like a polymer/hybrid lower. Uppers can be kept simple.

I will start looking into a lower locally, though I found Buds had a lower kit with stock for a little over $100. May look into that, even given the idiotic transfer fee for a bit of aluminum... but that's another rant... :D

Until you become particular about individual parts, I'd do what everyone else says and buy a basic rifle/carbine kit and build on a stripped lower. I think everyone should have a "KISS" rifle (not painted black and white with huge tongues).

I'd stick with a 5.56x45 chamber since it will safely eat anything. Barrel twist of AT LEAST 1 in 9. 1 in 8 and 1 in 7 are pretty common as well. For most people shooting 55gr stuff, 1 in 9 is way more than adequate. If your particulars change or you can't be particular because all you can find is 60 to 70gr stuff, you'll at least be able to shoot most if it.

For ranges out to 100 to 200 yards, irons are perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't bother with a magnified optic or scope at those ranges, but a red dot would do you well. You don't need to start out with a $500+ sight, but you don't want to buy a sub-$100 POs either.

Until you become particular about individual parts, I'd do what everyone else says and buy a basic rifle/carbine kit and build on a stripped lower. I think everyone should have a "KISS" rifle (not painted black and white with huge tongues).

I'd stick with a 5.56x45 chamber since it will safely eat anything. Barrel twist of AT LEAST 1 in 9. 1 in 8 and 1 in 7 are pretty common as well. For most people shooting 55gr stuff, 1 in 9 is way more than adequate. If your particulars change or you can't be particular because all you can find is 60 to 70gr stuff, you'll at least be able to shoot most if it.

For ranges out to 100 to 200 yards, irons are perfectly acceptable. I wouldn't bother with a magnified optic or scope at those ranges, but a red dot would do you well. You don't need to start out with a $500+ sight, but you don't want to buy a sub-$100 POs either.
Oh, now this is an important point. Get it in 5.56, not .223. There is a difference. A 5.56 will run both 5.56 and .223. A .223 will run only .223. You will probably want that flexibility, also you won't wind up with a round stuck in the chamber. I think I said .223 in my earlier post and I shouldn't have. :confused:

Poverty Pony stripped Lower $50
Magpul CTR / grip $90
LPK sans trigger $45

Then this:
Complete side-charging BCA Upper in 6.5 Grendel, on sale at $249

LaRue MBT-2S - $80 (MBT stands for Mongo Big Tits - the trigger is as good as...) :D

CLee0507 nailed it. Rifles are still a bit pricey and a lot of parts are not, so building your own may save even more that it usually does.

Sounds like .223 will best meet your needs. I know it's not ideal against a bear, but it's the cheapest rifle round that works on a wide variety of critters. Cheapest ammo and cheapest parts.

Nobody around here nails it, until I say they've nailed it.... o_O

OK, he nailed it. ;):D:s0140:

I will start looking into a lower locally, though I found Buds had a lower kit with stock for a little over $100. May look into that, even given the idiotic transfer fee for a bit of aluminum... but that's another rant... :D
Given that you are in WA (I assume), I would definitely buy a lower receiver and build your own rifle so you don't have to deal with all of the I1639 BS. I would try to get that lower soon, I think it will be more problematic come this June or July.

Sportsmans Warehouse on Everett Mall Way has stripped aluminum Anderson lowers for $49.99. No transfer fees. Don't know what other fees as I've never bought a firearm from them but there's tax. Everything else can be sent to your home address.

Magpul CTR / grip $90
LPK sans trigger $45

Then this:

LaRue MBT-2S - $80 (MBT stands for Mongo Big Tits - the trigger is as good as...) :D
Have you looked at ammo prices?
At a glance, the cheapest 6.5 Grendel ammo I've sen is 90 cents/round.
IMO go 5.56 You can shoot a lot more of it for your ammo dollar, though 5.56 is inadequate for bears,
Finally
Consider looking for a used AR
There will be some deals here on this forum and others
Good luck!:s0155:

ps Consider a Savage or Thompson Compass in .300 WinMag with a scope , which will be adequate for bears. Should go for around $500 new.

Have you looked at ammo prices?
At a glance, the cheapest 6.5 Grendel ammo I've sen is 90 cents/round.
IMO go 5.56 You can shoot a lot more of it for your ammo dollar, though 5.56 is inadequate for bears,
Finally
Consider looking for a used AR
There will be some deals here on this forum and others
Good luck!:s0155:

ps Consider a Savage or Thompson Compass in .300 WinMag with a scope , which will be adequate for bears. Should go for around $500 new.
Dunno what it's going for now, I can reload it for 20¢ - 25¢ a round using blems from Shooters Pro Shop. I also have Wolf Steel Cased that I bought for $7.99 per box.
IIRC, BCA also has side charging 5.56 for even less than the Grendel.

Magpul CTR / grip $90
LPK sans trigger $45

Then this:

Nice! Let's see if I can improve on that a little bit (probably not a lot!):

Bravo Company Enhanced LPK $140.
Remove LPK, trigger, handgrip from list above. -$150
Bear Creek Upper Assembly 16" 5.56 $234

Other stuff you'll need and can find all the time at Brownells or Midway USA:
EDIT: Per arakboss the upper comes with BGC and Charging handle.
Bolt Carrier Group $110
Buffer tube assembly $50
Charging handle, buffer tube end, castle nut: $30
Magpul MBUS flip up sights front & rear $90

The Bravo Company LPK gives you a higher quality parts kit and you still get equivalent upgrades in grip and trigger (I like the BCM handgrip a little better and the trigger feels the same as a LaRue to me) plus an enhanced trigger guard. Plus you might save $5 - $10. :D

Found the LPK at Optics Planet:
$136.49 + free shipping. (I don't work for them :D) If you want it in other colors than black it's even cheaper.

Upper:

BTW, by "Poverty Pony stripped lower" I'm pretty sure he means Anderson. They have a horse logo. They're actually really good for the price. I have done/helped with lots of builds with them and they always fit the upper properly and all the parts go in straight. ;)

I have the BCM LPK in an Anderson lower. I used a PSA upper and Magpul MBUS sights. You only need the rear sight if you get the upper that P7id10T recommended (and he's pretty smart). I think I built that whole gun for under $550 and it's so much nicer than an off the shelf AR in that price range. My first AR was prettier, but cost a lot more. Wound up putting a better trigger, stock and grip on that gun. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Nice! Let's see if I can improve on that a little bit (probably not a lot!):

Bravo Company Enhanced LPK $140.
Remove LPK, trigger, handgrip from list above. -$150
Bear Creek Upper Assembly 16" 5.56 $234

Other stuff you'll need and can find all the time at Brownells or Midway USA:
Bolt Carrier Group $110
Buffer tube assembly $50
Charging handle, buffer tube end, castle nut: $30

The Bravo Company LPK gives you a higher quality parts kit and you still get equivalent upgrades in grip and trigger (I like the BCM handgrip a little better and the trigger feels the same as a LaRue to me) plus an enhanced trigger guard. Plus you might save $5 - $10. :D

Found the LPK at Optics Planet:
$136.49 + free shipping. (I don't work for them :D) If you want it in other colors than black it's even cheaper.

Upper:

BTW, by "Poverty Pony stripped lower" I'm pretty sure he means Anderson. They have a horse logo. They're actually really good for the price. I have done/helped with lots of builds with them and they always fit the upper properly and all the parts go in straight. ;)

I have the BCM LPL in an Anderson lower. I used a PSA upper and Magpul MBUS sights. You only need the rear sight if you get the upper that P7id10T recommended (and he's pretty smart). I think I built that whole gun for under $550 and it's so much nicer than an off the shelf AR in that price range. My first AR was prettier, but cost a lot more. Wound up putting a better trigger, stock and grip on that gun. :rolleyes:
Bear Creek Upper comes with BCG and CH.

BTW, by "Poverty Pony stripped lower" I'm pretty sure he means Anderson.
Sure do. At least three of my lowers started with $39 Anderson's back when BHO was Criminal in Chief.
[edit to add] @Flopsweat, you definitely improved on it.

While they're great, they are plastic. I won't buy them again after finding UTG Super Slim flip up front and rear sights on Amazon for ~$40 for the pair. Dead on, lock up tight and they're all metal.

Last Edited:
While you can get some stuff cheaper I find it best to just suck it up and fork out a few more bux for the better choice.
Aero lowers are much better for just a bit more. I'll never build another Anderson after getting an Aero.

+1 for the BCM LPK, for a Mil spec trigger it's a good one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top