JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's the deal I'm looking to assemble a vest/plate carrier (prefer molle) for a SHTF scenario. I want to see what you guys are rocking and hopefully steal an idea or two.
So post some pictures of what your running with and your opinion of the gear. hope this thread takes a liking to! Thanks, Pilot.

Well I'll be bugging in first off. So, weight isn't really an issue. I have a plate carrier with sappys, full kit. If it gets really gnarly and I need to contribute my two cents, I'll be using this. Otherwise, chest rig with a few mags and a good ruck is the ticket. I have my pistol mags set up afghan style on the carrier, since I never used the thing. Theres a waist belt with it that i was too lazy to dig out of the garage, it has a medical kit and drop pouch and speedload pistol mags on it. The frag pouches... I'll put tactical snacks in there. On the back, one-point sling and attachment, smoke grenade pouch and tourniquet on side sappy pouch.

I think this setup is the bubblegum. Waistbelt with drop holster for clearing, drop it when you feel like it and just use the long rifle. If you wear a pack with it, prepare to be bubblegum'ed. the plate holds the pack away from your back and messes with your shoulders. Its gonna be hard to get plates, so I recommend a chest rig. If you wanna use a pistol, waistbelt with pistol mags, drop holster, and drop pouch is the way to go. If you are walking, stick the belt with the sidearm in your pack. IMO, a chest rig is the way to go. Put it over a second chance vest if you want armor. You don't really need any pouches besides mags, med kit, and drop pouch, so a chest rig with belt does all of that.

Unless you have plates, forget the carrier. Get a second chance if you want armor, and you can wear it under your rig if you want.

I hate drop holsters the only PPL I know that used them was because they were so packed with other gear there was no room left on thier chest/waist
Instead I use an open top single AR mag pouch with 2 pistol mag pouches attached on my OPS rig that saves one PAL loop which lets me pack a day and a night optic in seperate pouches along with IFAC 6 mag AR/AK pouch, com pouch and periscope

Properly practiced, a drop holster carried high is the most efficient for speed draw and use with a carbine. Unfortunately, the mall ninjas have hijacked them. I know a guy who likes a chest mounted pistol, but I found that when I practiced malfunction rifle drills the rifle got in the way. The main thing is to practice with and know your gear.

My gear is as old school as I am...lol! "Y" LBH and web belt, ALICE clipped butt pack, (2) 1 qt. canteens on the web belt ( one on each side of the butt pack), (2) m16 ammo pouches for a total of 6 30 rd. mags of 5.56, those ride on the left side of the web belt and a MOLLE drop leg holster on the right leg w/a triple pistol mag pouch attached to the rig that holds 3 15 rd. mags of 9mm + the pistol. I have a small flash light hooked to the leg platform for easy access and a S/W tanto blade hooked to the left side of the LBH w/a MALICE clip.

The butt pack has a bit of everything from a IFR beacon, waterproof matches,electrolyte tablets.Leatherman multi-tool, spare batteries, binocs, hearing protection...etc.

Minus the drop leg, this is very close to the setup I trained with and used in the service so I'm comfortable w/ it but, I'm still adding to the setup as I go.

Regards, fastfoot

I had to let it out a bit

InternetCommando (600x481).jpg

I have not really thought about doing a full setup like this. I guess my thought is that if I did something like this I'm going to draw a lot of attention to myself. That said, I'd sure like to see some actual setups as well because perhaps I can be shown the error of my thinking.

-d

OK how bout this then?
Actually if you want to stay Gray thier are several "Potographer's Vests" that sell for $70 that are actually Tac Vests Tru-Spec, Woolrich, 5.11 sell them they are made from Cotton

opsvest 001.jpg

So far I have a condor with a xd tactical .45 serpa mounded high left side with 2 pistol mag pouches below it next to two ar mag pouches. I have a fire fighter muliti knife in a hard Molle holster. Last chance vest in the plate carrier front and back. I'll post a pic in a day or two. For now this is the vest just mine is o.d green. I have found that the side built in mag pouches are very hard to use.

Modular Plate Carrier

I have sim pouchesthat I have never tried to use for any purpose, they would give me a 12 mag loadout, 13.2 pounds of mags and my total load w/o water would be close to 49.8 pounds

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top