JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

How cheap can I build an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoore with an 80% lower (including jig & router)? I'm talking cheap... yet works good. I do have some left over mil-spec parts from an AR15 build. Also an AR15 drill press jig & tools, and extra AR15 80% lower billet. Any help in what direction is least expensive would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rodney

I was looking for similar build parts a few days ago -- inexpensive, reliable, and 80%. I ended up ordering this complete upper.
Davidson Defense "Nail Head" Lr-308 Featuring Aero Precision M5 Upper 22" OverMatch 6.5 Creedmoor 1-8T 416R Stainless Straight Fluted Barrel Premium 15" M-Lok Handguard
And then adding their BCG and CH for another $129.

Palmetto includes those with this upper but adds up to $20 more.
PSA Gen2 PA65 20" 6.5 Creedmoor 1:8 SS 15" M-Lok Upper with Adjustable Gas Block, Gen2 BCG, and CH
I've used a lot of PSA stuff in the past and had good luck but the Davidson looked like a nicer quality package.

Since I didn't want to buy an AR10 jig, and also because I wanted to try a poly lower, I went with JMT. It seems to be well reviewed and reportedly fits my Aero upper.
308 LOWER & TRIGGER COMBO
I went with the combo because I have used their trigger before and liked it.

I bought the basic lower parts kit, tube, buffer and spring from Joe Bob's. Haven't ordered a stock and grip yet.

This lists all the parts you can and can't use from your AR15 spares pile.
What Parts Are Interchangeable Between AR-15 & AR-10?

Let us know what you end up building when it's finished.

5d tactical router jig pro...get it with both AR-10/15 mounting adapters and it will be the last jig you ever buy for completing 80% AR lowers.

They're worth every penny for how nice of a finish they do if you take your time and do it properly.

Dewalt also makes a very good router. worth the money to get one.

AR308 can be picky for lower to upper fitment so you may need to modify a complete upper or your lower to fit it properly unless you get a 80% lower with a matching upper or at least same brand upper so you don't run into fitment issues.

Can't really help on the rest as I am still building my 6.5 upper myself. But I will tell you I am not going cheap on my 6.5 barrel as I want it to be a sub-MOA tack driver so I will likely end up with a barrel that costs more than that compete upper that was recommended. (probably a 24" black hole weaponry barrel in 416R)

Also I'd stick with 7075 anodized aluminum rather than polymer for a AR-308 lower.

They thump pretty good. Not sure I would trust a piece of plastic to withstand the shock and recoil 6.5 and 308 can produce.

Also most any 308 bolt carrier should do for a 6.5. uses the same bolt since it's based off the same parent case.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews