JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi,

How cheap can I build an AR-10 in 6.5 Creedmoore with an 80% lower (including jig & router)? I'm talking cheap... yet works good. I do have some left over mil-spec parts from an AR15 build. Also an AR15 drill press jig & tools, and extra AR15 80% lower billet. Any help in what direction is least expensive would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rodney

I was looking for similar build parts a few days ago -- inexpensive, reliable, and 80%. I ended up ordering this complete upper.
Davidson Defense "Nail Head" Lr-308 Featuring Aero Precision M5 Upper 22" OverMatch 6.5 Creedmoor 1-8T 416R Stainless Straight Fluted Barrel Premium 15" M-Lok Handguard
And then adding their BCG and CH for another $129.

Palmetto includes those with this upper but adds up to $20 more.
PSA Gen2 PA65 20" 6.5 Creedmoor 1:8 SS 15" M-Lok Upper with Adjustable Gas Block, Gen2 BCG, and CH
I've used a lot of PSA stuff in the past and had good luck but the Davidson looked like a nicer quality package.

Since I didn't want to buy an AR10 jig, and also because I wanted to try a poly lower, I went with JMT. It seems to be well reviewed and reportedly fits my Aero upper.
308 LOWER & TRIGGER COMBO
I went with the combo because I have used their trigger before and liked it.

I bought the basic lower parts kit, tube, buffer and spring from Joe Bob's. Haven't ordered a stock and grip yet.

This lists all the parts you can and can't use from your AR15 spares pile.
What Parts Are Interchangeable Between AR-15 & AR-10?

Let us know what you end up building when it's finished.

5d tactical router jig pro...get it with both AR-10/15 mounting adapters and it will be the last jig you ever buy for completing 80% AR lowers.

They're worth every penny for how nice of a finish they do if you take your time and do it properly.

Dewalt also makes a very good router. worth the money to get one.

AR308 can be picky for lower to upper fitment so you may need to modify a complete upper or your lower to fit it properly unless you get a 80% lower with a matching upper or at least same brand upper so you don't run into fitment issues.

Can't really help on the rest as I am still building my 6.5 upper myself. But I will tell you I am not going cheap on my 6.5 barrel as I want it to be a sub-MOA tack driver so I will likely end up with a barrel that costs more than that compete upper that was recommended. (probably a 24" black hole weaponry barrel in 416R)

Also I'd stick with 7075 anodized aluminum rather than polymer for a AR-308 lower.

They thump pretty good. Not sure I would trust a piece of plastic to withstand the shock and recoil 6.5 and 308 can produce.

Also most any 308 bolt carrier should do for a 6.5. uses the same bolt since it's based off the same parent case.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top