Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Brown's Camp Trash Build up

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by Norm0931, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

So as more and more idiots are out at Brown's camp the trash is starting to accumulate. I was out there on Monday and there is quite a bit of crap throughout the quarry. I'd venture to guess it will be shut down in not too long. I took about a half bed full of crap out with my truck when we left but, it's getting bad. I'd just say encourage people when you are out there to pick up their garbage, INCLUDING SHOTGUN SHELLS!

2. 20ozjolt

20ozjolt Boring OR Active Member

Where is browns camp?

If the roads are clear a friend and I are needing a spot to shoot in a few weeks,
    and would be more then happy to help with a cleanup effort.

3. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Follow my sig.

4. Hollow

Hollow Portland, Oregon New Member

yea its getting bad out there, when i was there people were coming in and out and one family had 4 12 gauges and were just blasting away and didnt pick up a thing. i said something to them and they looked at me like i was crazy.. i never see rangers around there telling people what to do or watching anymore. people are putting a lot of trash down there tv's and crap... if i was to take some of it out there where could i take it? because theres not much space here at my apartment complex in the trashes. More then willing to help with a clean up though.

5. sm2earle

sm2earle Hillsboro, OR New Member

This is why I no longer go to browns. Trash everywhere, and on the weekends there are soo many people that its really hard to go down range.

Browns was shut down back in july-aug wasnt it?

6. Hollow

Hollow Portland, Oregon New Member

still open as far as i know.

7. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Opened back up with the warning, "Keep it clean or we'll close it permanently" back in November.

8. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Great. I truly hope and pray that the two people on this BB I told about my shooting spot will please take this thread to heart and always pack their garbage out!

9. Slowpoke

Slowpoke Beaverton Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Anyone know if the road to Memaloose pit is clear of snow?

10. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Trash buildup is one of my pet peeves. There are two kinds of trashers, those just looking to dump their crap and those that haul it out to shoot at and leave. The plain 'ol dumpers are one thing, but the shooters outta know better.

In my part of the world, it costs money to take junk to the dump, and it ain't cheap. So people often round up their crap and dump it, coincidently in the same place(s) where folks shoot because it's remote and nobody will see them dumping. And there is already junk there with bullet holes, so why not?

In Douglas County OR, the dump is free with convicts there to help empty your truck. They have it going on, and the trash dumping problem is almost nonexistent. Except for the shooters.

I have approached the sanitation and forestry people in my area and asked if they could waive the dump fee for people that cleanup other peoples trash from the forest. Everyone thinks it's a great idea but so far nothing has been done. Getting nowhere. :banghead:

11. Both Eyes Open

Both Eyes Open Hood Canal Active Member

Rufus, that is a good idea. Keep on it and maybe something will happen. I always make a point of taking more out then I bring in but even if you clean a place the trasher will just trash it again. Not sure of what anyone can do about it though. My remote places here in WA are kept somewhat clean at least. Good luck with the Brown Camp issues Oregon folks!

12. resurrectionist

resurrectionist Clackamas, OR New Member

I was up there on the 16th and there was a good 6-8 inches along the road all the way to the quarries. At the quarries themselves it was closer to a foot. My Subaru Forester made it just fine, but I wouldn't have tried with a 2WD passenger car. Had plans to go back on Sunday the 19th, but supposedly the snow level in that area dropped to 1500' or so the night before...I'm guessing right now there is more snow then when I was there previously.

If I get back there within the next few days I'll post an update!