JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a few Bridgford Shelf Stable Sandwiches last year, threw them in the garage and promptly forgot about them. I rediscovered them today and decided to try one. I got these thinking they might be a good addition to my disaster prep supplies. Always good to have a little variety. I think they have around a 3 year shelf life.

The first one I tried is the "Sandwich, Shelf Stable Pepperoni in Bread". Size of the package is roughly 6" by 6" by 1.5". Weight is 3.3 oz. It has a "Best by Sep 27, 2016" date on it.

Basic stats: Net Wt. is 2.5 oz; Calories 270; Calories from Fat 130; Total Fat 15g; Cholesterol 20mg; Sodium 580g (!); Total Carb 25g; Protein 10g.

Tearing open the package is easy. It includes a "freshness pouch" that you aren't supposed to eat (duh...). The texture of the bread is firm - not soggy or anything. It's basically a bread pocket with a pepperoni stick in the middle. Taste of the pepperoni and bread was good, but pretty salty (not surprising given the sodium content - better have some water on hand). It was a little spicy - I thought it was fine. However, my kid would probably find it too spicy - something to consider if you are buying this to share with someone else.

Overall, I think it makes an interesting addition to my disaster food supply. Not sure I'd want to eat a bunch of these given the salt content, but they would certainly be appropriate to mix-up your diet. It's pretty compact and durable - would fit into a backpack or bag pretty easy.

I've also got a Bacon Cheddar and a BBQ Beef sandwich - I'll post a review of those when I get around to eating them.

D2C7F375-C210-4BF0-92EA-156B0552F0E5_zpspdulbabs.jpg 31501E93-312B-49A9-94E6-BDB90EE4A246_zpsu2mt42p6.jpg

These shelf stable sandwich's are the cornerstone of the latest generation of combat rations, hand pir format (think Hot Pockets). 300 calories is the wheelhouse for main entree. I am certain that the US Army assumes you will be burning calories and needing salt. Any idea what you paid? Great review.

I keep a few of these in my truck and my get home bag. I like them a lot. They are ok cold and even better if you can warm them up. I get mine from sportsmans warehouse for I think $5.99 per package of 2. I've seen them cheaper online but not by much. I rotate mine through every few months (usually because I didn't have time to pack a lunch for work).

I paid between $3.25 and $3.75 each for them.

I think the extra salt could come in handy in certain situations, but I'm not sure I'd want to eat a lot of them over the course of a day or week.

Jeeze guys, you should have eaten C-rats from 1943 in 1969. Oh Yum!

Those sandwichs sound interesting. I like salt, but watch my intake. Sounds good for hard work in the summer.

I actually liked most all the C rations. :)
You just couldn't carry very many. Seems like the new freeze dried things give longer range. Times have sure changed. Bugs & Bush meat still work. But that big sandbox doesn't give much chance for that. :)

Last Edited:
I actually liked most all the C rations. :)
You just couldn't carry very many. Seems like the new freeze dried things give longer range. Times have sure changed. Bugs & Bush meat still work. But that big sandbox doesn't give much chance for that. :)
There were a few C-Rats I did not like cold reconstituted scrambled eggs w/bacon flavoring was my #10, the rest were OK especially when warm I preferred the higher water content, no need to guzzle a quart of O2 w/every meal.
Of course C's came with coffin nails which was a handy bartering item

There were a few C-Rats I did not like cold reconstituted scrambled eggs w/bacon flavoring was my #10, the rest were OK especially when warm I preferred the higher water content, no need to guzzle a quart of O2 w/every meal.
Of course C's came with coffin nails which was a handy bartering item

Loved the brown bread and beans :)
Yeah the lil 5 packs :)

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads